Best poolroom in Austin?

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What would you do?
Arrest them and put them in jail at taxpayers expense ?
Fine them and because they have no money arrest them and put them in jail at taxpayers expense ?
Forcibly move them to a location where there is no food or shelter or water so they have to walk back ?
Build tenements they can trash while they "live" there ?

Yes, they are a scourge on the city -- on that we can agree !

But what realistic plan do you have do cause them to be "more upstanding" people ?
Remember, they don't want to be better people than they currently are.
What is your realistic plan ?

RFranklin

Ready, fire...aim
Silver Member
What would you do?
Fine them and because they have no money arrest them and put them in jail at taxpayers expense ?
Forcibly move them to a location where there is no food or shelter or water so they have to walk back ?

But what realistic plan do you have do cause them to be "more upstanding" people ?
Been here since 86. I hate what the city has become. Kind of like the homeless that moved here when the camping ban was lifted, the cost of housing here has also been destroyed by outsiders. I know several officers here that say that the homeless population almost tripled when the ban and the polices no longer allowed the police to do anything about them. It probably wasnt tenable pre ban but it certainly isnt now. The countless homeless camps around town have not only made our city much less attractive but also less safe. We need to vote out our hapless mayor and city counsel members that encouraged this to happen.

Back to pool. Check out Skinnys. The new owner is a good old boy that absolutely loves everything about billiards and supports it in every way.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been here since 86. I hate what the city has become. Kind of like the homeless that moved here when the camping ban was lifted, the cost of housing here has also been destroyed by outsiders. I know several officers here that say that the homeless population almost tripled when the ban and the polices no longer allowed the police to do anything about them. It probably wasnt tenable pre ban but it certainly isnt now. The countless homeless camps around town have not only made our city much less attractive but also less safe. We need to vote out our hapless mayor and city counsel members that encouraged this to happen.
But what will a new city council be able to do about the problem ?

Those people exist? therefore they have to be somewhere.
They can't afford to be anywhere they pay rent or taxes.
So where do they go ?

Complain abut how they have harmed this (the city) or that (my concept of american civilization),
But what are you going to do with them?
Don't point the finger at someone else to solve the problem.
Advance a solution yourself.

What do you do with people with no money, no hope, no livelihood, no decency, and little humanity ?????
What is your (Y O U R) plan to fix the problem ?

Stew boo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe Rogan must be the biggest whale in all of pool, players in Texas must be salivating waiting to play him.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So where do they go ?

Complain abut how they have harmed this (the city) or that (my concept of american civilization),

What do you do with people with no money, no hope, no livelihood, no decency, and little humanity ?????
I’d start with arresting anyone who takes a shit in the middle of the street in plain view of everyone. Can we at least agree on that? Or am I just being a big ole meanie? What’s your solution?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member

So where do they go ?

No what's your plan since you seem to have all the questions and most passionate about the topic

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe Rogan must be the biggest whale in all of pool, players in Texas must be salivating waiting to play him.
I don’t see that as his personality but could be wrong. One of the biggest go off artists in the country lives by me and I've seen him go off big many times over decades, Rogan doesn’t seem he’d enjoy going off as much. But I could be wrong. I’ve seen him play a few times and I’d like my chances.

Last edited:

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’d start with arresting anyone who takes a shit in the middle of the street in plain view of everyone. Can we at least agree on that? Or am I just being a big ole meanie? What’s your solution?
What good does arresting someone with no money do anybody ?
The arrested gets a free meal at taxpayers expense, maybe a bath and washed clothes along with a record and fines they cannot pay--leading to even more jail and fines down the road.
Does it stop, slow down, or in any way prevent a recurrence ? No, unfortunately.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What good does arresting someone with no money do anybody ?
The arrested gets a free meal at taxpayers expense, maybe a bath and washed clothes along with a record and fines they cannot pay--leading to even more jail and fines down the road.
Does it stop, slow down, or in any way prevent a recurrence ? No, unfortunately.
So if you don’t have any money you can break laws without consequences? Where you from?

I believe a society should care for the mentally and physically challenged, many of whom unfortunately are living on the streets, but this is the wrong forum to discuss how we propose to accomplish this. But I’m not planning on paying $300 per night for a room in Austin again anytime soon.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So if you don’t have any money you can break laws without consequences?
If they break some major law, then yes it is proper for an organized society to properly punish them.
{larceny, theft, murder, battery, assault, ...} are all major crimes (for obvious reasons)
Loitering is not a major law.
Neither is pissing on a wall.
Where you from?
I have lived in Austin since 1983, I grew up in WV and spend years in {Ohio, FL, Co, Penn}
I believe a society should care for the mentally and physically challenged, many of whom unfortunately are living on the streets, but this is the wrong forum to discuss how we propose to accomplish this.
I believe the problem started when we "retied" the old mental institutions how many decades ago.

But why is it that nobody who is really mentally ill is capable of affording treatment for their problems ?
But I’m not planning on paying $300 per night for a room in Austin again anytime soon.
Your choice. I do not "go" downtown for these and for other reasons anymore.
I live in a area that suffers only from the random panhandler on the random street corner; and not from a tent-city.

And at this point I will resign from this thread--because the person above was correct, this is not the right forum for this discussion.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reminds me of my days of taking care of self-serve car washes. The drunks would lean against the wall so they would not fall down when they popped a squat. Terrible!

My loose plan since Mitch is a good dude and is sincere in asking is this:

Triage all of them over a period of time, identify them and see what their needs are.

Sort into groups:

1)For the lifers that want no rules, who are happy to be out there and will not be open to get help because they don't want it: Use existing laws to deal with them. If that means they are in and out of jail which costs a lot. Do it. Do not allow them to take over the city and camp in places that are not safe for them. It is buck passing....but if it begins to suck here they will leave or maybe come correct.

2)For the addicts and drunks that are not treatable and do not want help. Use existing laws to deal with them. If that means they are in and out of jail which costs a lot. Do it. Do not allow them to take over the city and camp in places that are not safe for them. It is buck passing....but if it begins to suck here they will leave or maybe come correct.

3)For the addicts and drunks that are treatable and want help. Help them any way possible. Treatment..sober centers..training..help finding some way to work and live if they can be clean etc.

4)For the short termers that have not been out there a long time and are helpable and have some skills still find tasks they can do in return for assistance with meeting their basic needs. Offer the willing training if they seem to be a good fit for it. Help with job searches, places to live etc.

By nature I am a bit shiftless and lazy. I am also a "dry drunk". I know for a fact if you let the people in groups 1 and 2 do as they please and encourage it, Like the city did with the repeal of the camping ban you get what you see in Austin now. Others from these groups have come here to Austin because of it!

This is not perfect but it is a good start. The City is actually trying some of what I suggest for groups 3 and 4 now.

Last edited:

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Clicks closed for good!

An Update:

Clicks Billiards, Austin, Tx

We're BACK ! ! OPENING TONIGHT (Sat. 2.27.21) at 6pm.
We will be BYOB until liquor license is re-instated (probably 6 weeks). We NEED all our loyal customers/friends/family to come back and SUPPORT US! Pool tonight is only $10.00 per hour per table.
As you know, the orders from the Governor to be closed and/or not serving alcohol for most of 2021 has devastated our business. Need REALLY need your help!!!!!! Please come support us.
Also, we need staff, if you or you know someone that wants to work with us, please call us! Right now, we are paying $10.00 per hour plus tips! 512.448.4945.

Thank you for your loyalty and understanding through this most difficult of times. SHARE THIS POST! Get the word out.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What would you do?

I don't have a plan. Why do I need a plan? I'm just disgusted with them. That's ok, right?

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If this is the real Joe Rogan I can't help but think how he's sitting back laughing at where his question wound up going. Then again he's from California so he's used to getting shit on.