Switching cues during match....Alex P.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I was just watching a match (2014 U.S. Open 9-ball) with Alex Pagulayan playing Skyler Woodward. Early on in the match I noticed that Alex was intermittently changing his playing cues. He had four cues out....his breaker, his jump cue, and two different playing cues that he alternated with regularly at each incoming trip to the table. One of the cues looked like it had a standard 1" ferrule and the other shaft appeared to be LD.

HOT MATCH: Alex PAGULAYAN vs. Skyler WOODWARD - 39th U.S. OPEN 9-BALL CHAMPIONSHIPS (2014) - YouTube

Why would he do this? As usual....just curious.

Maniac

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was just watching a match (2014 U.S. Open 9-ball) with Alex Pagulayan playing Skyler Woodward. Early on in the match I noticed that Alex was intermittently changing his playing cues. He had four cues out....his breaker, his jump cue, and two different playing cues that he alternated with regularly at each incoming trip to the table. One of the cues looked like it had a standard 1" ferrule and the other shaft appeared to be LD.

HOT MATCH: Alex PAGULAYAN vs. Skyler WOODWARD - 39th U.S. OPEN 9-BALL CHAMPIONSHIPS (2014) - YouTube

Maniac

Being Alex he might have been testing which stick he liked better even in a major match. Without meaning to imply criticism, just the opposite, Alex seems to be a free spirit. He goes through life enjoying himself or always seems to give that impression. Another thing, he might have been testing the value of using two sticks full time. Using a low deflection shaft I just raise the back of the stick a few inches more when I need to bend a shot but a higher deflection shaft would require less elevation. It has long been theory that we could have a bag full of cues like a golfer uses various clubs. Might be a disadvantage as it seems better to learn one cue rather than try to learn six or seven but I have long wanted to work with a masse cue which isn't normally part of a player's arsenal. I just like seeing a ball curve on the table more than jumping balls. Seems more in the spirit of the game.

Obviously just speculation on my part. With Alex, only he or someone he talked to can know why he did something. He might have had a bet on about alternating cues!

Hu

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Maniac
For the “arrow and Indian“ crowd.....Alex is very in tune with what a cue can do....some shots favor his other cue.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Maniac

Not sure of the exact time, but I know Alex P was with OB for a short time, it may be that he was using one of their cues/shafts and was having a hard time getting dialed in, so was changing to his old equipment.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Not sure of the exact time, but I know Alex P was with OB for a short time, it may be that he was using one of their cues/shafts and was having a hard time getting dialed in, so was changing to his old equipment.
He was with Mezz .

Danktrees

RIP RS
Silver Member
He was with Mezz .

he was with both. mezz first then ob then carmeli.

alex occasionally switches from cue to cue and butt to butt during matches as they each give him a different feel etc. sometimes he might use a heavier butt, sometimes a different shaft depending on how the table is playing.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hearing that a player of his quality doing that makes me feel better.
I’ve often done that with the ivory joint cues in my case. I’ve also
changed to playing with a different cue, sometimes even whimsically.

That is the very reason I use a 6x12 cue case. All the cues fit nicely
and at any time and for any reason every cue is immediately available.

When I do leave two cues out to play with, typically one of the cues is
my Scruggs radial joint. It just is such a sweet cue to switch to because
it almost feels like I am stepping up to something special. Indeed, Tim
was an extraordinary cue maker but the other cue makers also made me
some cues I’d never part with either. In golf, you get to use 14 clubs so in
pool, aside from break and jump cues, why not have some others available?