New Orleans Update?

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m sorry I don’t know anything about the pool rooms specifically, but a buddy of mine was in New Orleans two weeks ago and said the entire town shut down at 9 PM every night. Restaurants, stores, bars, everything.

Secondhand information I know, and I don’t know what’s changed if anything in the last couple of weeks, but thought I would pass it along nonetheless.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I enjoyed Lacy's Cue. The equipment was good, food was good, everything was good. Until a drunk Jason Hunt showed up. Holy cow...

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't know if Lacy's or Buffalo's is in New Orleans city limits. Confusing since towns have been absorbed over the last two hundred years or so. A good idea to call them since different restrictions may apply. Last I knew Lacy's was nonsmoking, Buff's smoking. I can first hand highly recommend Buffalo's and have heard nothing but good about Lacy's. Somehow or another I have never went to Lacy's to see first hand.

Hu

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know if Lacy's or Buffalo's is in New Orleans city limits. Confusing since towns have been absorbed over the last two hundred years or so. A good idea to call them since different restrictions may apply. Last I knew Lacy's was nonsmoking, Buff's smoking. I can first hand highly recommend Buffalo's and have heard nothing but good about Lacy's. Somehow or another I have never went to Lacy's to see first hand.

Hu
Lacy’s is one of the nicest rooms you can find in this country. It’s in Orleans and Buffalo’s is in Jefferson Parish

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
If it is in Chalmette, that's St. Benard Parish, not Orleans Parish or NOLA.

St Bernard, also just known as the parish. Not sure if that is where Lacy's falls or not. I think it is on Paris Road in Chalmette but I am working from memory. I used to shoot an indoor steel plate match down thataway in Arabi or just past Arabi. Ain't trying to claim we were traveling some rough areas to get down there but we carried 1911's to compete with and AR-15's to get there and back!

One night a very intoxicated young man burst through the front door. "I heard shooting in here!"

"Um, back up, straight back, about fifteen feet. Then look at the sign over this building." You would have thought indoor shooting range would have given him a hint! Lost those matches and the whole business to Katrina I believe. Sure was fun while it lasted! Mano-a-mano although some weren't men. Head to head, a starting buzzer started us and an electric eye told who won. Seems like we could do something like that with pool. Maybe put in a three whacks rule!

Hu

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Hop, skip, and a jump from Little Saigon -- often wondered if there were billiard tables in there, but never enough to go in and find out.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Hop, skip, and a jump from Little Saigon -- often wondered if there were billiard tables in there, but never enough to go in and find out.

Almost straight across Florida Blvd from Bayou Billiards in big BR is a sign that says vietnamese. and I forget if it says pool or billiards. I figured there must be tables and gambling in there but I had a feeling that going in as the lone white boy might be a good way to not be able to get out with the cheese if I got it! Came thiiiisss close a few times, even pulled in the parking lot but ultimately the devil I knew always sucked me in and Bayou was my next stop. Come on over and we can raid the place together!

Hu

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Here in Biloxi, we used to have several Vietnamese billiard parlors, and they welcomed white boys and our money. They always let me go but they always seemed to keep my money -- my fault for playing on tables with no pockets -- but my oh my the gamble in those rooms.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
It has been years since I was down South but last time I was in the area I played at Lacy’s and Buff’s room. Lacy’s was an awesome place with lots of room and a great layout. Joey A beat me out of a tourney but I enjoyed the night. Buff’s had a completely different feel and was a lot of fun, that is where I first met Hu. I am glad to call both of these two friends. I also was able to hit up one of the White Diamond events, wow I need a road trip.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Hu,

My bet is if you can't read the sign, there ain't no pockets on their tables.

Yeah, I was kinda afraid of that. Do you just knock the balls off the table or what when they overlooked pockets on the table? The only plus, with no pockets to put them in you don't need many balls!

It has been years since I was down South but last time I was in the area I played at Lacy’s and Buff’s room. Lacy’s was an awesome place with lots of room and a great layout. Joey A beat me out of a tourney but I enjoyed the night. Buff’s had a completely different feel and was a lot of fun, that is where I first met Hu. I am glad to call both of these two friends. I also was able to hit up one of the White Diamond events, wow I need a road trip.

Jim, you know the door is always open and the beans on the fire! Come on down anytime. You put me in very fine company linking me with JoeyA. We talked a little yesterday. Looks like we will all survive the damned bug.

Hu

9ballscorpion

Hu

Lacy's is the only Non Smoking pool hall in the entire area that I know of, and it is in St. Bernard Parish, in Chalmette. Buffalo's is in Elmwood, in Jefferson Parish. New Orleans city limits are within Orleans Parish, and there is only 2 pool halls in Orleans Parish that I know of. Shamrock in Mid City, which is a pretty large pool hall, but kind of a dive, and mostly for the college student crowd, and this place called, Mr C's Billiard, on the East side of New Orleans, which appears to have many nice 9 foot Gold Crown tables, but I have never visited. I read they have a $5 all day rate though.

I believe the pool rooms in Jefferson Parish (where Buffalo's is located) are probably open, because all of the bars around where I live (in River Ridge) are open.

There is also a very nice 24 hour pool hall in Kenner (which I think is nicer then Buffalo's), out near the New Orleans International airport, called Corner Pocket. That place has an all day, unlimited play for around $5 to $6 too. Very nice place, that had tournaments during regular times. Lucky Cue near by is a complete dive of a pool hall, so I would never visit that place.

Then there is also The Break Room, in Jefferson Parish, on the West Bank (across the river), which I have heard is a very nice pool hall.

The place called the "Landing Lounge" in Harvey (in Jefferson Parish) looks very nice too.

Lacy's in Chalmette has a Restaurant License, so they have been allowed under the law to remain open through most of this Pandemic, during the times when Bars were shut down.

Last edited:

9ballscorpion

Buffalo’s for sure is open. I’m not sure if it’s 24 hrs though

The owner could have remained open through most of this Pandemic, but he was unwilling to hide his Gaming Machines, become a non smoking place, and get a Restaurant License. All of those issues really caused the place to have limited hours during the time that it was allowed to be open, and the ATC gave the owner a lot of problems.

I am not sure if their hours are still limited or not. For awhile there, they had to close at around 10 pm I think.

9ballscorpion

Lacy’s is one of the nicest rooms you can find in this country. It’s in Orleans and Buffalo’s is in Jefferson Parish

I was not impressed. The tables were in need of a refelting (in my opinion) when I visited, but that was maybe around 9 months ago, so maybe they have redone their tables since then. The felt on the one I played on was pretty worn out though. This is not something I would expect in a top of the line pool hall. Other then that, it was pretty nice.

Oh, and it is not in Orleans Parish. It is in St. Bernard Parish, in Chalmette.