How Does an APA 7 Go Down to a 6?

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
No, but then I don't think the intent of The Equalizer (or whatever the APA may be calling it these days) is to make matches a 50-50 proposition. Most 7s will not stand for a spot to a 2 large enough to make the match fair.
..and there is an interesting thing. A 7 vs 2 match up is terrifying for the 'weak to average' 7 handicap player. That set is a race to 5 with 3 on the wire for the weaker player. A single win for the 2 gives their team a point for reaching the hill. ...and a single mistake can easily cost the 7 the match.

All is fun in love and pool though... ;)

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I don't think they're all THAT far from the 100 point gaps. I don't have much experience, but 370 being a midrange APA4, 450 being a midrange APA5, and 530 being a midrange APA6 sounds kinda ballpark to me. That's an 80-point gap.
well I'll definitely differ to your knowledge regarding the intent of fargo.... ;) ...and thanks by the way. I think you're efforts are outstanding.

My exposure to the CPA(APA) and their varying skill levels, doesn't seem to hold water with even 80 point gaps in fargo. That said, I'm only speaking of my local exposure so that a subjective opinion on the whole.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
..and there is an interesting thing. A 7 vs 2 match up is terrifying for the 'weak to average' 7 handicap player. That set is a race to 5 with 3 on the wire for the weaker player. A single win for the 2 gives their team a point for reaching the hill. ...and a single mistake can easily cost the 7 the match.

Playing fargo rated tournaments I have played 6-1 races against C players. A decent 6 should be able to give a 2, 3 on the wire to 5. A 2 is real bad.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Playing fargo rated tournaments I have played 6-1 races against C players. A decent 6 should be able to give a 2, 3 on the wire to 5. A 2 is real bad.
ya, a 2 in APA is real bad generally. (no offence intended to those 2s reading)

Again, APA handicaps are relative, so I don't know how much I'd be willing to bet on the 6 walking away clean from a match with a 2.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ya, a 2 in APA is real bad generally. (no offence intended to those 2s reading)

Again, APA handicaps are relative, so I don't know how much I'd be willing to bet on the 6 walking away clean from a match with a 2.
From what I have seen people with 1000+ games in Apa are around 50% win/ loss, strong 7 notwithstanding.
I like the 6s chances. Clean or 5-0/ 5-3 with the spot, not so much.
No offense intended to the 2's. We all played " not so good" at some point. If your enjoying the game you' re doing right.

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Math is math, plain and simple.
Now we're getting somewhere. Math is math, and math is deterministic, but math alone does not get the answer right all of the time. We're dealing with people, which throws a monkey wrench into any mathematical equation. So does alcohol - how do you model that with math? Other factors affect performance, and the more you know about those other factors the better you get at correcting the math.

Believe it or not, we almost agree on most of this. We're arguing about details, but that's where the devil is, right? I've got some responses to other replies, mostly by Bob and Dr Dave. I have great respect for both of them. I don't think either has an axe to grind with APA.

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A 7 vs 2 in APA is a race to 7 with the 2 getting 5 games on the wire. you are correct if that 7 makes one mistake that puts the 2 on the hill and earns the team a point. 95% of the time the 7 would have to beat themselves (early 8 or scratch 8) in order to lose to a 2.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
A 7 vs 2 in APA is a race to 7 with the 2 getting 5 games on the wire. you are correct if that 7 makes one mistake that puts the 2 on the hill and earns the team a point. 95% of the time the 7 would have to beat themselves (early 8 or scratch 8) in order to lose to a 2.
Not in the CPA(APA) league I played in. No race went beyond 5. I did google the match chart, and it does confirm what you have said.

For a 7 to lose to a 2, the 2 would have to win. Everything else is your opinion...lol

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not in the CPA(APA) league I played in. No race went beyond 5. I did google the match chart, and it does confirm what you have said.

For a 7 to lose to a 2, the 2 would have to win. Everything else is your opinion...lol
I am fairly certain all APA (CPA) leagues use the same handicap system. you can look at the races for skill levels here: https://poolplayers.com/equalizer/

It clearly shows that a skill level 2 playing a skill level 7 is a 7 to 2 race. A 7 playing a 3 is 6/2 race, a 7 playing a 4 is a 5/2 race, a 7 playing a 5 is a 5/3 race and a 7 playing a 6 is a 5/4 race. Two 7's is a 5/5 race.

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what I’ve read, a LOW ranked seven could be (numerically) a 7.0001 and a high ranked six could be (numerically) a 6.9999. If that’s the case, two players of almost exact skill levels are playing. Yet the 7 has to spot the 6 one game. If APA is truly using a numeric rating based on some combination of innings, safes, wins, etc., even with rounding, an unfair matchup could occur. If the LO’s comment about being the “lowest” ranked seven is true, then that 7 is at a disadvantage. Why not rank players based on winning %? As I’ve stated before, if you can’t beat a 7, how can you be a 7. Accounting for good days and bad days (we all have them), you should be able to beat others in your SL at least 50% of the time. Stop typing, if you are 50% or higher against a higher SL, then yes, your SL should be adjusted.
You've touched on my main beef with the APA's system of setting races. Not with measuring ability, but once you've done the measurement you can line all the players up in order of ability and it's possible that two players can be right next to each other in line (essentially identical ability) and one has to spot the other a game. That's a flaw, I've pointed it out to APA numerous times, but they (understandably) won't change it because it's a big change that risks breaking other things that have taken a long time to put in place. There are some anti-sandbagging measures as well as some that are not that could set them back several years. That's as far as I'm willing to go with it, and I only mention it here because someone else brought it up first. Otherwise I would risk breaching my franchise with APA.

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
7 is the extreme merely because there's nothing higher. A player's APA handicap will always only be relative to their particular league. A 5 in one pool room could be a 3 in another, depending on the depth of quality play. Take for example a Master's league populated with nothing but would otherwise be considered 7s in a standard handicapped APA league. Now introduce handicaps to that group. After the dust settles, not everyone is going to be a 7, and you would have more 5's then anything else. Probably nothing less than that, but I think I made my point. You could do the same by segregating large group of any APA rank and pressing the reset button. Twenty 3s would end up with a couple of 7s, bunch of 6s,....etc. That's the way it works....
Except that it's possible to shoot 7 speed every match and lose every match, in which case you would only be underrated in Fargo. In APA you would still be a 7, and not necessarily even the lowest-rated 7. What you say is true of any competitive rating system. You only get relative accuracy outside your pond when the ponds connect. The APA has ways of resolving those differences, and there's no evidence that their way doesn't work just as good or bad as other systems. I've noticed that you're arguing both sides of the coin here. On one hand you argue the point that your rating should be based on your competition, and on the other you argue that that is a flaw. So we're clear, I'm arguing that neither is best by itself. You need some of both. The interesting debate, to me, is how much of each and where it is in the system.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I am fairly certain all APA (CPA) leagues use the same handicap system. you can look at the races for skill levels here: https://poolplayers.com/equalizer/

It clearly shows that a skill level 2 playing a skill level 7 is a 7 to 2 race. A 7 playing a 3 is 6/2 race, a 7 playing a 4 is a 5/2 race, a 7 playing a 5 is a 5/3 race and a 7 playing a 6 is a 5/4 race. Two 7's is a 5/5 race.
Well feel free to consider me a liar then...lol. Played two seasons of regular CPA(APA) league, and while doing so I never once played a race to 7.

I even mentioned that I looked up the match chart you linked to...lol. Doesn't change the facts on my end

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Except that it's possible to shoot 7 speed every match and lose every match, in which case you would only be underrated in Fargo. In APA you would still be a 7, and not necessarily even the lowest-rated 7. What you say is true of any competitive rating system. You only get relative accuracy outside your pond when the ponds connect. The APA has ways of resolving those differences, and there's no evidence that their way doesn't work just as good or bad as other systems.
7 speed compared to what exactly...? Other 7s...? If that was the case then you wouldn't be losing every match. 7 speed compared to 6s sure, not compared to the other 7s you can't ever beat. That just doesn't make any sense. Sure dropping a set happens to even the best, but that's wildly different then never winning. Using you stance, a player at no point should ever go down in skill level. That's just wrong imo...

Can you elaborate on the "ways" APA has to resolve zero 'cross pond' interaction...?
I've noticed that you're arguing both sides of the coin here. On one hand you argue the point that your rating should be based on your competition, and on the other you argue that that is a flaw. So we're clear, I'm arguing that neither is best by itself. You need some of both. The interesting debate, to me, is how much of each and where it is in the system.
No I'm arguing that your rating should only be based on your competition. APA is full of little ecosystems (thats the flaw), whereas Fargo's method is potentially one large swimming pool. Again, it's really not a fair comparison, as APA needed to sort out the best way to run a league. Fargo just needed to sort the best way to comparibly rank player's ability against one another.

If I'm playing a Fargo match and I come out on the losing side, my fargo will go down. How much is dependant on the amount of games I have in the system. If I lose an APA match, nothing changes. If someone I played in fargo loses a match somewhere else on the planet, my fargo goes down, (again dependant on games played), because my results against that player aren't weighed as heavily. If someone I played in APA loses to someone else on the table beside me, nothing changes. Notice the trend...

Fargo can be used to easily create a 50/50 match regardless of the opponent's skill levels. APA's system just groups ranging abilities into 6 different ranks so a match length calculator can be used to get the night done.

My only knock against the CPA/APA is the ease to which a player can rise in skill level, compared to the relative difficulty of dropping down.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'

Give ya credit... you made me look...lol. Here is a screen shot from my APA dashboard match history...:
APAmatch.png

I crudely edited out the last name of my opponent for sake of their security. However you can clearly see my name (no secret) SL of 7, and a match race to 5 for me. Race to 4 for my SL6 opponent.

Not sure why the league I played in differed from the APA stated races, but it is what it is...

AF pool guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Give ya credit... you made me look...lol. Here is a screen shot from my APA dashboard match history...:
View attachment 591044
I crudely edited out the last name of my opponent for sake of their security. However you can clearly see my name (no secret) SL of 7, and a match race to 5 for me. Race to 4 for my SL6 opponent.

Not sure why the league I played in differed from the APA stated races, but it is what it is...

Um, that’s exactly what the stated races chart shows.
0194b97359ef63f3c08055f04a127873.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
View attachment 591044

That match it correct according to the charts, you played a skill level 6, which is a 5/4 race (the 7 must win 5 games and the 6 must win 4 games). If you (as a 7) played a skill level 2, you would need to win 7 games and the skill level 2 would need to win 2 games.

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The point was, if you can't compete in the skill level you are at, then it should be adjusted
If I could just get you to convince a LO this is fair. If you can’t beat a 7, then how in hell can you BE a 7!!! Saw where someone posted this question earlier.

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All that said, of course the APA reserves the right to arbitrarily alter a player's handicap on a whim if it suits their purposes.
I was pretty much told the same from APA headquarters in St. Louis. This is the only reason I would stay a 7, even when my ability has dropped pretty substantially.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Very true... However I major difference is that APA rankings are solely based on the pond you play in. A '7' at one pool room could have a drastically different spd then a '7' down the block.
I'm no expert, nor am I a top tier player. I do have over 10 years experience playing in APA. The one time my team went to Vegas, we played 6 matches I believe, before losing. Maybe 7 matches. I didnt see anyone we played against that was out of line, Skill Level-wise. There may have been one or two players that could have been ranked one level higher, but they weren't killers, and not put of the norm for any group of players.

We are in a very small pond, rural Maine. My whole team seemed in line with the players we faced.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If I could just get you to convince a LO this is fair. If you can’t beat a 7, then how in hell can you BE a 7!!! Saw where someone posted this question earlier.
If you beat the the 6's, how can you be a 6?