My Home Pool Room Journey

runout1961

Ecclesiastes Ch. 12: 1-7
Silver Member
Son of a...

Hate that for ya man!

Thanks for the updates though.

It sucked but we managed. Water heaters are across the room in their new location and everything is functioning perfectly.
2d093d724066da5302af7ba9608133e9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

runout1961

Silver Member
Got a little bit of framing done today. Insulate those cavities tomorrow and do some other things to keep moving forward. I have 22 days until this all has to be ready to put the table in place.
65737c983b8e672ebae22953f19d35c9.jpg

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Damn!

Murphy has many interests: home improvement, car repairs, boat repairs, travelling, you name it that &%$#er is into it! :eek:

lgherb

Registered
Just finishing up our basement into climate controlled living space.

When I framed out our basement, I put a layer of trex deck boards beneath my pressure treated bottom plate to provide an moisture impermeable barrier from porous wood wicking moisture through the slab.

CQIGXaA.jpg

I kept the 6 inch width so the foam insulation board (glued against the concrete block foundation wall) also sets on top of the trex plate to prevent the foam from also having any moisture issues.

Last edited:

runout1961

Silver Member
The progress since the flood is very good. I think I would have stopped there for a few days!

Believe me I wanted to. If I didn’t set such a ridiculous deadline for myself, I would have called it quits after that yesterday. Have to get it done though.

Just finishing up our basement into climate controlled living space.

When I framed out our basement, I put a layer of trex deck boards beneath my pressure treated bottom plate to provide an moisture impermeable barrier from porous wood wicking moisture through the slab.

I kept the 6 inch width so the foam insulation board (glued against the concrete block foundation wall) also sets on top of the trex plate to prevent the foam from also having any moisture issues.

Nice. That’s definitely the way to do it. Only the front part of our house (bi-level) is below grade by about four feet. They’ve never had moisture issues down here. I like what you did with yours. I’m trying to save every inch I can for a full cue so that setup wouldn’t have worked for me. Ideally if I had the space and money I would done exactly what you did with the foam board against the wall, then framing, then batt insulation inside the framing.

They didn’t have any insulation down here at all since 1972 and it was fine for them. I would imagine adding 2” of insulation to the walls and batts in the ceiling would make a noticeable difference.

Last edited:

runout1961

Silver Member
Was able to get a little bit of insulation done today before I had to call it quits. Still need to finish all the insulation after framing tomorrow then go back and fill in all the gaps and tape the seams where needed.

I really need to bust my ass and get more done in the little time I have if I want to come anywhere close to the table being installed on May 4th.
943d2a413bf39cae748995afdc1a47a8.jpg

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
I talked to Oscar from Pool Table 911 this morning who is considered to be one of the best pool table mechanics in the country who happens to be local to me. He is also known on AZB. We set a date for the table to be assembled on May 4th. As you can see from the pics above, a lot needs to be done to make this happen. I really have to get in gear and have the lower level completed by then. Hopefully.

Sorry to sidetrack, but you're in the Drexeline area right? I definitely wanna look this Oscar up when I get mine recovered. I have a slight seam issue and the guy who messed it up isn't getting another shot. I was thinking of waiting until the next Expo and having Diamond look at it afterwards. Another option.

runout1961

Silver Member
Sorry to sidetrack, but you're in the Drexeline area right? I definitely wanna look this Oscar up when I get mine recovered. I have a slight seam issue and the guy who messed it up isn't getting another shot. I was thinking of waiting until the next Expo and having Diamond look at it afterwards. Another option.

Oscar - Pool Table 911 - 6092766687
Lou - Players Choice - 2153805750

Two of the best table mechanics in the area if not the country. Both are extremely knowledgeable and wizards when it comes to working on these tables. Bob, the owner of Drexeline wouldn’t let anyone else touch his tables except those two. Save yourself a lot of time and headaches and go with one of those two guys.

Geosnookery

Looking good. I like that you are keeping it all swept and uncluttered. Whenever I’m doing a project I keep the work area neat...more space, easier to find tools, etc.

curious: you may have mentioned previously but what flooring are you using? Is that painted concrete in the photo?

an aside: went to the lumber yard today to pick up six 8’ 2x4s for some planters I’m building. Cost $30!!...about $23 USA. Last year they were 1.99 each. Yikes! Makes me glad I’ve done everything major inside and outside

runout1961

Silver Member
Looking good. I like that you are keeping it all swept and uncluttered. Whenever I’m doing a project I keep the work area neat...more space, easier to find tools, etc.

curious: you may have mentioned previously but what flooring are you using? Is that painted concrete in the photo?

an aside: went to the lumber yard today to pick up six 8’ 2x4s for some planters I’m building. Cost $30!!...about $23 USA. Last year they were 1.99 each. Yikes! Makes me glad I’ve done everything major inside and outside

Thank you. I appreciate that. That’s just the bare slab in the pic. I think I’m just going to do whatever carpet Lowe’s or Home Depot has in stock. I don’t really have the time or the money to be picky here. For the ceiling, again to save time and money, I might just leave it exposed and paint it all black.

And if you bought 8 2x4’s for $23, I’d go back and buy all of them that you could and flip them on marketplace. That’s $2.88 a board. You couldn’t touch any 2x4’s around here for that price. These lumber prices really are ridiculous but it is what it is.

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
Looking good! Hell of a deadline...

For ceiling finishing I used 5V crimp roof in a galvanized finish. I didn't want to deal with sheetrock overhead and the future 'possible' hassle of that over my table. Cost was roughly $800 (last August-ish) plus screws.

And check Wayfair for carpet tiles.

runout1961

Silver Member
Looking good! Hell of a deadline...

For ceiling finishing I used 5V crimp roof in a galvanized finish. I didn't want to deal with sheetrock overhead and the future 'possible' hassle of that over my table. Cost was roughly $800 (last August-ish) plus screws.

And check Wayfair for carpet tiles.

Thank you and your right, a hell of a deadline. Everyone here is doubting it will be done and for good reason. Seems impossible.

Good point about the drywall. I feel the same way. Been thinking about the ceiling. I don’t want drywall and I don’t want a boring run of the mill drop ceiling. Plus the grid system for the drop ceiling would be about $600-$700 plus the cost of the tiles which I wouldn’t be happy with the normal tiles. And I don’t want the place to look like some office cubicle space.

I thought about a tin style roof but you’d have to put 2x2 spacers on each hoist and create a grid system because of the power lines (main power for addition side and outlet power lines) that are attached to the bottom of the joists along with the plumbing. They barely ran anything through the joists like normal. And I don’t have the time to do all that right now.

I think we will just use a sprayer and paint it all black after cleaning it up a little more. Plus, we can’t really afford to insulate the entire ceiling right now or change all the plumbing to pex. Both of which we would like to do down the road. It makes no sense to cover up the entire ceiling just to go back later and have to take it all down to make those improvements.

This room is driving me nuts.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Oscar - Pool Table 911 - 6092766687
Lou - Players Choice - 2153805750

Two of the best table mechanics in the area if not the country. Both are extremely knowledgeable and wizards when it comes to working on these tables. Bob, the owner of Drexeline wouldn’t let anyone else touch his tables except those two. Save yourself a lot of time and headaches and go with one of those two guys.

Oscar does great work.

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you and your right, a hell of a deadline. Everyone here is doubting it will be done and for good reason. Seems impossible.

Good point about the drywall. I feel the same way. Been thinking about the ceiling. I don’t want drywall and I don’t want a boring run of the mill drop ceiling. Plus the grid system for the drop ceiling would be about $600-$700 plus the cost of the tiles which I wouldn’t be happy with the normal tiles. And I don’t want the place to look like some office cubicle space.

I thought about a tin style roof but you’d have to put 2x2 spacers on each hoist and create a grid system because of the power lines (main power for addition side and outlet power lines) that are attached to the bottom of the joists along with the plumbing. They barely ran anything through the joists like normal. And I don’t have the time to do all that right now.

I think we will just use a sprayer and paint it all black after cleaning it up a little more. Plus, we can’t really afford to insulate the entire ceiling right now or change all the plumbing to pex. Both of which we would like to do down the road. It makes no sense to cover up the entire ceiling just to go back later and have to take it all down to make those improvements.

Let me second the carpet tile idea. You will be very happy if you go this route.
Paul

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member

Good point. No sense in doing the ceiling twice. I did have to use 4" wide furring strips to have something to mount my ceiling too and to hold up my insulation. One upside is it was the same number of strips for drywall or metal ceiling.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a carpenter and have never seen this before. It's a really good idea, did you think of it yourself?