Is Schmidt's and charlie 626 Legit

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryf

Wasn't the hall JS used for his record run owned by a Latvian? His name was Larry the Latvian, and it would be odd if he were from Lithuania wouldn't it?

And the St. Bernard had a wicked stroke. He said he had once run 868 balls, and everyone in Latvia said it was the honest truth.

And i'm wearing one of Ellen's high tech brassieres with the little pins in them. Such a comfort in these trying times.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
BC can do as he wishes but I think that's overkill.

Besides, what would we compare it too? Mosconi's table? Cranfield's? JS's?

Lou Figueroa
Lou, I don't think it's overkill at all. Making those 3 measurements (mouth size, mouth-throat difference, and shelf depth) takes way less than one minute.

The fact that we do not have accurate information about the pocket sizes on the tables used for many of the huge runs of the past is not a good reason to rule out getting accurate information for this upcoming event. How many dozens (hundreds?) of times, here on AzB and elsewhere, have people asked about the specs for Mosconi's 526 table? For Schmidt's 626, at least we have the corner-pocket-mouth size (5"); I wish we had more. Bobby is hoping for a gargantuan run from somebody in his upcoming event, right? If it happens, don't you think people will be interested in those table specs in the future? Don't worry about the absence of good information from the past, just think of getting good information in the future, whether it is from Bobby's event or some high run long after his event.

Bobby is, rightly, quite proud of his 311 on a Diamond. If we knew nothing about the table other than it was a 9-footer, the run would not be so impressive, would it. Specs matter.

[And I certainly hope the corner-pocket mouths for Bobby's event will not be over 5", and that he won't be doing anything else to "phony up" the table(s) to facilitate huge runs. I was comforted a bit when, earlier in this thread, he wrote "i am having an event and it will not have crazy special conditions."]

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou, I don't think it's overkill at all. Making those 3 measurements (mouth size, mouth-throat difference, and shelf depth) takes way less than one minute.

The fact that we do not have accurate information about the pocket sizes on the tables used for many of the huge runs of the past is not a good reason to rule out getting accurate information for this upcoming event. How many dozens (hundreds?) of times, here on AzB and elsewhere, have people asked about the specs for Mosconi's 526 table? For Schmidt's 626, at least we have the corner-pocket-mouth size (5"); I wish we had more. Bobby is hoping for a gargantuan run from somebody in his upcoming event, right? If it happens, don't you think people will be interested in those table specs in the future? Don't worry about the absence of good information from the past, just think of getting good information in the future, whether it is from Bobby's event or some high run long after his event.

Bobby is, rightly, quite proud of his 311 on a Diamond. If we knew nothing about the table other than it was a 9-footer, the run would not be so impressive, would it. Specs matter.

[And I certainly hope the corner-pocket mouths for Bobby's event will not be over 5", and that he won't be doing anything else to "phony up" the table(s) to facilitate huge runs. I was comforted a bit when, earlier in this thread, he wrote "i am having an event and it will not have crazy special conditions."]

Well, it's not my call.

But I still think it's overkill, Large, with nothing to compare.

Lou Figueroa

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

I think that you are right. Also everyone's records should be accompanied by the table specs they did it on. But especially in 14.1 where the people are so argumentative about the conditions.

You are 100% correct that worldpro is ALWAYS making sure that everyone knows his high run was on a diamond. We all understand with 1000% clarity that running racks on tight pockets with deep shelves is WAY harder than on loose pockets. So I agree 100% that SINCE world pro has seen fit to mention that the specs will not be "phony" then we, the public, should know how "real" they are in comparision.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
By the way, Mosconi was playing straight pool almost every day. He was on the road with Greenleaf and they played a couple times a day. Think about what that meant for Willie to even be good enough to tour with Greenleaf but also to be able to play against him every day and get paid for it. How could he not learn everything Greenleaf knew in that time. Mosconi did step up and run 526 as a continuation of his exhibition match. But the competitive part was over at 150, in so far as an exhibition match with Mosconi against a local player is competitive. So while the run was fantastic it was not in any way any more or less of a John's 626 accomplishment. In fact, one could say that the pressure was even higher on John because he was specifically chasing that record. Attempts at Mosconi's record are not common and weren't common even in the golden age of pool.

Let's be real here,

This is a list of the people known to have run over 200 balls.

1 Aarts, Ivo Netherlands
2 Anda, Per Sweden
3 Appleton, Darren England
4 Archer, Johnny USA
5 Barouty, Danny USA
6 Basavich, Danny USA
7 Bjelland, Malvin Norway
8 Briesath, Jerry USA
9 Chamat, Marcus Sweden
10 Chamberlain, Bobby USA
11 Chen, Jui-Lung Taiwan
12 Chinakhov, Ruslan Russia
13 Clark, Kevin USA
14 Cohen, Stefan France
15 Davis, Mike USA
16 Daya, Dave USA
17 Deuel, Corey USA
18 Diks, Rico Netherlands
19 DiLiberto, Danny USA
20 Dobosenski, Ron USA
21 Dobrowolski, Steve USA
22 Eckert, Ralph Germany
23 Ederer, Manuel Germany
24 Engert, Thomas Germany
25 Feijen, Neils Netherlands
26 Filler, Joshua Germany
27 Fleitman, Todd USA
28 Fleming, Pat USA
29 Foldes, Vilmos Hungary
30 Friedemann, Herbert Germany
31 Fusco, Pete USA
32 Garcia, Jose USA
33 Garrahan, Teddy USA
34 Grabe, Denis Estonia
35 Hacsi, John USA
36 Hammer, Florian Germany
37 Harriman, Danny USA
38 Hatch, Dennis USA
39 Heiligenhaus, Frank Germany
40 Heiskanen, Aki Finland
41 Hendricks, Bill USA
42 Hodan, Ed USA
43 Hohmann, Thortsten Germany
44 Hoiss, Tobias Germany
45 Hopkins, Allen USA
46 Hubbart, Larry USA
47 Hunter, Bobby USA
48 Hybler, Roman Czech Republic
49 Immonen, Mika Finland
50 Jahnke, Bernd Germany
51 Jarvis, Mark USA
52 Jenisy, Jurgen Austria
53 Kaplan, Tomasz Poland
54 Karabatsos, Tom USA
55 Kong, Sammy USA
56 Koshovyi, Artem Ukraine
57 Kristansen, Vegar Norway
58 Laaksonen, Kim Finland
59 Laha, Duke USA
60 Lane, Dick USA
61 Lechner, Maximillian Austria
62 Lely, Alex Netherlands
63 Leonard, Dick USA
64 Letourneau, Dick USA
65 Lipsky, Steve USA
66 Maidhof, Bob USA
67 Makkonen, Petri Finland
68 Margo, Pete USA
69 Martel, Alain Canada
70 Martin, Ray USA
71 Martinez, Rafael Mexico
72 Massey, Mike USA
73 Matushonek, Ed USA
74 McCreesh, Ryan USA
75 Melling, Chris England
76 Nacovski, Jerry USA
77 Naithani, Brian Germany
78 Neemy, Joe USA
79 Nevel, Larry USA
80 Norcross, Wayne USA
81 Orcullo, Dennis Philippines
82 Ortmann, Oliver Germany
83 Ouschan, Albin Germany
84 Pagulayan, Alex Philippines
85 Parica, Jose Philippines
86 Peach, Daryl England
87 Pecaroro, Richard USA
88 Poguntke, Martin Germany
89 Regli, Ronald Switzerland
90 Reintjes, Christoph Germany
91 Rempe, Jim USA
92 Robison, Stanley USA
93 Robles, Tony USA
94 Rodriguez, Tony (Flaco) USA
95 Roschkowski, Andreas Germany
96 Ross, David USA
97 Sapolis, David USA
98 Schmidt, John USA
99 Scholl, Florian Germany
100 Schumacher, Jakob Germany
101 Schweden, Ingo Germany
102 See, Huidji Netherlands
103 Shaw, Jayson Scotland
104 Sigel, Mike USA
105 Slivka, Jerry USA
106 Sloesen, Karl USA
107 Smulowitz, Lester USA
108 Souquet, Ralf Germany
109 Stalev, Evgeny Russia
110 Stojanovic, Philipp Croatia
111 Storm, Tom Sweden
112 Strickland, Earl USA
113 Tascarella, Pete Sr. USA
114 Thompson, Rodney USA
115 Thygesen, Kasper Denmark
116 Toth, Andy USA
117 Van Boening, Shane USA
118 Van Corteza, Lee Philippines
119 Van Den Berg, Nick Netherlands
120 Varner, Nick USA
121 Vogel, Marko Germany
122 Washburn, Calvin Czech Republic
123 Weigoni, Christian Germany
124 Weir, Wendell USA
125 West, Dallas USA
126 Wheeler, Adam USA
127 Zobrekis, Klaus Germany
128 Zummo, Frank USA

Most Recently Added:
Laaksonen, Kim Finland
Grabe, Denis Estonia
Washburn, Calvin Czech Republic
Hubbart, Larry USA
Ouschan, Albin Germany
Tascarella, Pete Sr. USA

Departed Since List Creation:
Matthews, Grady USA
McGown, Frank USA
SanSouci, George USA
Pawelski, George USA
Butera, Lou USA
Viera, Carlos USA
Gay, Leil USA
Griffis, Roger USA
Stellman, Frank USA
Vanover, Bob USA
Kinman, Leroy USA
Frady, Joe USA
Kelly, Eddie USA

The list of people KNOWN to have run over 300 is way shorter and so on. John is in an extremely elite group and has been for a while. Is it POSSIBLE that the top professionals and even really decent semi-pros like Bobby can run 300s, 400s, 500s consistently? Of course it's POSSIBLE but it's not probable without them putting in the table time like Mosconi, and Cranfield and Mike Eufemia, Thomas Engert and John Schmidt did.

I hope that worldpro spends a ton of money and we see amazing runs from the world's best players. I hope that John's record is broken but not for the reason that worldpro wants it to be broken. I hope that it is broken because the top players have a reason to spend the time playing an obsolete but fantastic game in our great sport. Sorry straight pool fans but there is never going to be any real excitement around straight pool unless, as with snooker, someone can make it exciting in some way. So if jealousy and haterade is what inspires a push to make people care about straight pool again then hopefully the love will be ignited.

John Schmidt put in the time, he got the record. Trivialize all you want to, knock it all you want to. It is the current world record. 626. I will gladly pay $50 or even $100 to see the show when it comes around. Just as I would gladly have paid to spend an evening with Willie Mosconi, with Arthur Cranfield, with Ralph Greenleaf, and any other professional player of sufficient accomplishment. Even if someone beats his record tomorrow John was still the first in the modern era to reach that level. He still has a journey and a story to share that is entertaining, inspiring introspective, and educational.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By the way, Mosconi was playing straight pool almost every day. He was on the road with Greenleaf and they played a couple times a day. Think about what that meant for Willie to even be good enough to tour with Greenleaf but also to be able to play against him every day and get paid for it. How could he not learn everything Greenleaf knew in that time. Mosconi did step up and run 526 as a continuation of his exhibition match. But the competitive part was over at 150, in so far as an exhibition match with Mosconi against a local player is competitive. So while the run was fantastic it was not in any way any more or less of a John's 626 accomplishment. In fact, one could say that the pressure was even higher on John because he was specifically chasing that record. Attempts at Mosconi's record are not common and weren't common even in the golden age of pool.

Let's be real here,

1 Aarts, Ivo Netherlands
2 Anda, Per Sweden
3 Appleton, Darren England
4 Archer, Johnny USA
5 Barouty, Danny USA
6 Basavich, Danny USA
7 Bjelland, Malvin Norway
8 Briesath, Jerry USA
9 Chamat, Marcus Sweden
10 Chamberlain, Bobby USA
11 Chen, Jui-Lung Taiwan
12 Chinakhov, Ruslan Russia
13 Clark, Kevin USA
14 Cohen, Stefan France
15 Davis, Mike USA
16 Daya, Dave USA
17 Deuel, Corey USA
18 Diks, Rico Netherlands
19 DiLiberto, Danny USA
20 Dobosenski, Ron USA
21 Dobrowolski, Steve USA
22 Eckert, Ralph Germany
23 Ederer, Manuel Germany
24 Engert, Thomas Germany
25 Feijen, Neils Netherlands
26 Filler, Joshua Germany
27 Fleitman, Todd USA
28 Fleming, Pat USA
29 Foldes, Vilmos Hungary
30 Friedemann, Herbert Germany
31 Fusco, Pete USA
32 Garcia, Jose USA
33 Garrahan, Teddy USA
34 Grabe, Denis Estonia
35 Hacsi, John USA
36 Hammer, Florian Germany
37 Harriman, Danny USA
38 Hatch, Dennis USA
39 Heiligenhaus, Frank Germany
40 Heiskanen, Aki Finland
41 Hendricks, Bill USA
42 Hodan, Ed USA
43 Hohmann, Thortsten Germany
44 Hoiss, Tobias Germany
45 Hopkins, Allen USA
46 Hubbart, Larry USA
47 Hunter, Bobby USA
48 Hybler, Roman Czech Republic
49 Immonen, Mika Finland
50 Jahnke, Bernd Germany
51 Jarvis, Mark USA
52 Jenisy, Jurgen Austria
53 Kaplan, Tomasz Poland
54 Karabatsos, Tom USA
55 Kong, Sammy USA
56 Koshovyi, Artem Ukraine
57 Kristansen, Vegar Norway
58 Laaksonen, Kim Finland
59 Laha, Duke USA
60 Lane, Dick USA
61 Lechner, Maximillian Austria
62 Lely, Alex Netherlands
63 Leonard, Dick USA
64 Letourneau, Dick USA
65 Lipsky, Steve USA
66 Maidhof, Bob USA
68 Margo, Pete USA
69 Martel, Alain Canada
70 Martin, Ray USA
72 Massey, Mike USA
73 Matushonek, Ed USA
74 McCreesh, Ryan USA
76 Nacovski, Jerry USA
78 Neemy, Joe USA
79 Nevel, Larry USA
80 Norcross, Wayne USA
81 Orcullo, Dennis Philippines
82 Ortmann, Oliver Germany
83 Ouschan, Albin Germany
84 Pagulayan, Alex Philippines
85 Parica, Jose Philippines
86 Peach, Daryl England
87 Pecaroro, Richard USA
88 Poguntke, Martin Germany
89 Regli, Ronald Switzerland
90 Reintjes, Christoph Germany
91 Rempe, Jim USA
92 Robison, Stanley USA
93 Robles, Tony USA
94 Rodriguez, Tony (Flaco) USA
95 Roschkowski, Andreas Germany
96 Ross, David USA
97 Sapolis, David USA
98 Schmidt, John USA
99 Scholl, Florian Germany
100 Schumacher, Jakob Germany
101 Schweden, Ingo Germany
102 See, Huidji Netherlands
103 Shaw, Jayson Scotland
104 Sigel, Mike USA
105 Slivka, Jerry USA
106 Sloesen, Karl USA
107 Smulowitz, Lester USA
108 Souquet, Ralf Germany
109 Stalev, Evgeny Russia
110 Stojanovic, Philipp Croatia
111 Storm, Tom Sweden
112 Strickland, Earl USA
113 Tascarella, Pete Sr. USA
114 Thompson, Rodney USA
115 Thygesen, Kasper Denmark
116 Toth, Andy USA
117 Van Boening, Shane USA
118 Van Corteza, Lee Philippines
119 Van Den Berg, Nick Netherlands
120 Varner, Nick USA
121 Vogel, Marko Germany
122 Washburn, Calvin Czech Republic
123 Weigoni, Christian Germany
124 Weir, Wendell USA
125 West, Dallas USA
126 Wheeler, Adam USA
127 Zobrekis, Klaus Germany
128 Zummo, Frank USA

Most Recently Added:
Laaksonen, Kim Finland
Grabe, Denis Estonia
Washburn, Calvin Czech Republic
Hubbart, Larry USA
Ouschan, Albin Germany
Tascarella, Pete Sr. USA

Departed Since List Creation:
Matthews, Grady USA
McGown, Frank USA
SanSouci, George USA
Pawelski, George USA
Butera, Lou USA
Viera, Carlos USA
Gay, Leil USA
Griffis, Roger USA
Stellman, Frank USA
Vanover, Bob USA
Kinman, Leroy USA
Frady, Joe USA
Kelly, Eddie USA

The list of people KNOWN to have run over 300 is way shorter and so on. John is in an extremely elite group and has been for a while. Is it POSSIBLE that the top professionals and even really decent semi-pros like Bobby can run 300s, 400s, 500s consistently? Of course it's POSSIBLE but it's not probable without them putting in the table time like Mosconi, and Cranfield and Mike Eufemia, Thomas Engert and John Schmidt did.

I hope that worldpro spends a ton of money and we see amazing runs from the world's best players. I hope that John's record is broken but not for the reason that worldpro wants it to be broken. I hope that it is broken because the top players have a reason to spend the time playing an obsolete but fantastic game in our great sport. Sorry straight pool fans but there is never going to be any real excitement around straight pool unless, as with snooker, someone can make it exciting in some way. So if jealousy and haterade is what inspires a push to make people care about straight pool again then hopefully the love will be ignited.

John Schmidt put in the time, he got the record. Trivialize all you want to, knock it all you want to. It is the current world record. 626. I will gladly pay $50 or even $100 to see the show when it comes around. Just as I would gladly have paid to spend an evening with Willie Mosconi, with Arthur Cranfield, with Ralph Greenleaf, and any other professional player of sufficient accomplishment. Even if someone beats his record tomorrow John was still the first in the modern era to reach that level. He still has a journey and a story to share that is entertaining, inspiring introspective, and educational.

I think that you are right. Also everyone's records should be accompanied by the table specs they did it on. But especially in 14.1 where the people are so argumentative about the conditions.

You are 100% correct that worldpro is ALWAYS making sure that everyone knows his high run was on a diamond. We all understand with 1000% clarity that running racks on tight pockets with deep shelves is WAY harder than on loose pockets. So I agree 100% that SINCE world pro has seen fit to mention that the specs will not be "phony" then we, the public, should know how "real" they are in comparision.

You do realize that we don't know much of anything about the equipment those runs were accomplished on, right?

Lou Figueroa

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, it's not my call.

But I still think it's overkill, Large, with nothing to compare.

Lou Figueroa
You do realize that we don't know much of anything about the equipment those runs were accomplished on, right?

Lou Figueroa
Not sure why collecting info isn't of some value. It would certainly not be of negative value.

Given advances in knowledge, technology, etc...collection and analysis of previously unconsidered data appears in pretty much all aspects of our world.

And lots outside of our world.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure why collecting info isn't of some value. It would certainly not be of negative value.

Given advances in knowledge, technology, etc...collection and analysis of previously unconsidered data appears in pretty much all aspects of our world.

And lots outside of our world.

Well, maybe BC will put it out there.

I don't know. But if he didn't, it wouldn't bother me, same as if he did.

Lou Figueroa

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Maybe, maybe not.

Lou Figueroa
Well if not then I doubt we should take anything that you and Bobby cook up as legit. After all a big part of your criticism is centered around the conditions under which the record was established. Be the change you want to see right?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well if not then I doubt we should take anything that you and Bobby cook up as legit. After all a big part of your criticism is centered around the conditions under which the record was established. Be the change you want to see right?

First off, you don’t have a “we.”

You have a John Barton and you speak for no one else. In any case, I’m sure BC will peek in the suggestion box and give John Barton’s input on this the consideration it deserves.

Second, I’m not cooking anything up. This is BC’s show. He’s asked me to help get info out on the event on AZ and I said I’d be happy to do that. He’s still in the process of finalizing things so I don’t have anything to report at this time, on equipment specs or much else.

Third, it is my understanding that BC is ensuring that the “we” that actually does exist and the folks that have some agency in regards to pool and 14.1 will be satisfied with what he’s set up and any records set.

Lastly, as recent history has shown, you can never make everyone happy on something like this, but then I don’t believe that’s one of his goals anyway ;-)

Lou Figueroa

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For one, I am looking forward to Bobby's production.

I cannot think of anything that promotes/ promoted the game in a more directly impactful manner.

John's efforts were the spark but I see the fire getting real big.

Can't wait to see the attendee list.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Attempts at Mosconi's record are not common and weren't common even in the golden age of pool.

JB: Puleeeze get Thee to a keyboard and ensure that the name Mizerak always appears:

66 Maidhof, Bob USA
68 Margo, Pete USA
69 Martel, Alain Canada
70 Martin, Ray USA
72 Massey, Mike USA
73 Matushonek, Ed USA
74 McCreesh, Ryan USA
76 Nacovski, Jerry USA

Arnaldo

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
JB: Puleeeze get Thee to a keyboard and ensure that the name Mizerak always appears:

66 Maidhof, Bob USA
68 Margo, Pete USA
69 Martel, Alain Canada
70 Martin, Ray USA
72 Massey, Mike USA
73 Matushonek, Ed USA
74 McCreesh, Ryan USA
76 Nacovski, Jerry USA

Arnaldo
Not my list. Although I would hope that his name appears on the deceased part of the list. It seems that it is not. I can't imagine that the Miz didn't run well over 200 many times in his life.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

66 Maidhof, Bob USA
68 Margo, Pete USA
69 Martel, Alain Canada
70 Martin, Ray USA
72 Massey, Mike USA
73 Matushonek, Ed USA
74 McCreesh, Ryan USA
76 Nacovski, Jerry USA

Arnaldo
The list is just of living 200+ runners. The list was started in 2010, and there is also a list of players removed (because of death) since then. Mizerak died in 2006, so he was never on the list.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
2. I think that the 626 record will stand for a long time because it was a truly hard accomplishment and for Chamberlain to knock it by insinuating that the conditions were doctored to make long runs more possible is pure jealously in my opinion. Mosconi's record was done on pockets that were 5.25" and likely shallow shelves iirc. (At Large, some help here.) ...
I don't think we know much about the pocket size. Wiki says 5 1/4", but I certainly wouldn't take that as determinative. I seem to remember reading other accounts of the table having tighter pockets than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.