Votes: 20 55.6%
  • Revo 12.4

Votes: 16 44.4%

• Total voters

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Revo 11.8 or 12.4?

I'm sure that probably a lot of the forum members are asking for the answer to this question, so I'd like to ask the ones who tried both, what do you think about deflection, taper, which is more forgiving, etc., whatever you think is important to make the decision.

Thank you in advance!

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just to let you know, I play with the new 11.8 with the black vault plate. I had the same shaft with a white vault plate but my preference was for the black, probably because I have been playing with the revo for 4 years now and I got used to the black vault plate. Now, getting to my point: All the Revo 11.8mm's are truly 12mm. I was annoyed with this at first, thinking my first 11.8 was a defect. Upon getting the latest 11.8 and seeing that it also miked to 12mm I checked several others and they are all 12mm. I am one of Predator's biggest fans and customers, also a collector, but I wish Predator was honest in this one respect. Either mark and sell them as 12mm or make them exactly 11.8mm. I had a few smart asses remark "What difference does .2mm make?" I told them I can shoot with both and tell the difference between the two sizes 10 out of 10 times and tell which was which, and was willing to bet big $$ but I had no takers.
I still love my Revo "12mm" and for me, it's as close to perfect FOR MY STYLE. YMMV.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
The 12.4 is reported to be higher deflection than the 12.8, I haven't seen deflection compared to the 11.8. I have not shot with the 12.4 REVO. I have shot with the 11.8 or an 11.8 prototype and my Cuetec which has a fast taper near the tip so it is fairly thick in the area passing through my bridge most of the time. I like the 11.8 REVO that stays skinny a lot longer including through my bridge a lot better!

It is going to come down to if you like a skinny shaft or thicker one in your bridge. I like the skinny shaft but that is a matter of taste. Speaking of taste, I would get the dark ferrule/vault plate in the future. I bought the white then didn't like the too violent contrast.

All opinions here of course. Both great shafts, personal taste is going to decide which one you like a little more and unfortunately presonal taste is just that, personal. We can provide little guidance for you.

Hu

A PS to Rick, the human feel is proven to be able to detect a thousandth of an inch. Two tenths of a MM is indeed huge! I have hit balls with a true 11.8mm REVO but it came down the pike long before they were available so a proto-type or a mistake. Either way it hit great! Shot some snooker balls with it one day and that thing pocketed those little light balls like nobody's business. I have the Cuetec Cynergy 11.8 but it has a fast taper near the tip and might as well be a much fatter shaft. It is OK but I like the skinny for a long ways REVO much better. I would have to be annoyed if I ordered 11.8 and got 12 myself. With shafts that skinny two tenths are a bunch. I used to play with a 12.25 to 12.75 shaft but hated a 13, just too thick for my tastes.

Hu

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just to let you know, I play with the new 11.8 with the black vault plate. I had the same shaft with a white vault plate but my preference was for the black, probably because I have been playing with the revo for 4 years now and I got used to the black vault plate. Now, getting to my point: All the Revo 11.8mm's are truly 12mm. I was annoyed with this at first, thinking my first 11.8 was a defect. Upon getting the latest 11.8 and seeing that it also miked to 12mm I checked several others and they are all 12mm. I am one of Predator's biggest fans and customers, also a collector, but I wish Predator was honest in this one respect. Either mark and sell them as 12mm or make them exactly 11.8mm. I had a few smart asses remark "What difference does .2mm make?" I told them I can shoot with both and tell the difference between the two sizes 10 out of 10 times and tell which was which, and was willing to bet big $$ but I had no takers.
I still love my Revo "12mm" and for me, it's as close to perfect FOR MY STYLE. YMMV.
could you compare the 12.4 with the "12"
regarding hit/feel and deflection
please?

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Each time I switch to a smaller shaft, I hardly notice a difference. I adjust instantly and nothing feels foreign. Each time I try out a wider shaft, I can shoot with it but it feels foreign. Visually it’s like I’m stroking a tree trunk. I end up needing to put thought into where on this fat ass tip is really striking the cueball. I think I’m just better suited for thinner shafts.

I’ve played with a Revo 12.4 for years. I switched to 11.8 last year. I like it better. Everything I said above applied. I switched to it with no adjustment. Before writing this last post I put the 12.4 back on and ran a rack just fine. But I did have that tree trunk affect again. Which is funny because when I went to 12.4 originally, it was skinny and 13 was a tree trunk.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Each time I switch to a smaller shaft, I hardly notice a difference. I adjust instantly and nothing feels foreign. Each time I try out a wider shaft, I can shoot with it but it feels foreign. Visually it’s like I’m stroking a tree trunk. I end up needing to put thought into where on this fat ass tip is really striking the cueball. I think I’m just better suited for thinner shafts.

I’ve played with a Revo 12.4 for years. I switched to 11.8 last year. I like it better. Everything I said above applied. I switched to it with no adjustment. Before writing this last post I put the 12.4 back on and ran a rack just fine. But I did have that tree trunk affect again. Which is funny because when I went to 12.4 originally, it was skinny and 13 was a tree trunk.
can you describe the differences between them regarding deflection and "hit"
since the 11.8 is a conical taper

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
can you describe the differences between them regarding deflection and "hit"
since the 11.8 is a conical taper

I don’t notice a difference in hit or deflection. They feel and play exactly the same for me except the visual issue I mentioned.

In contrast, I also own a Cynergy 12.5 and very much can tell the hit is pleasantly softened and that there is more deflection. It showed up as I was missing thin cuts down the rail where I wanted to manipulate the cueball rebound trajectory with left or right spin.

But the two Revos felt and played exactly the same as each other to me. I didn’t do a scientific deflection test but I can say my muscle memory didn’t need adjustment when switching between the two. Again compared to the Cynergy, the Revos had less deflection and maybe more of a crisp, tingy hit to them. That bothers some people but I spent enough quality time with it that it became an acquired taste (like beer or Diet Coke) where you you grow to enjoy it and expect it.

Reactions: bbb

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don’t notice a difference in hit or deflection. They feel and play exactly the same for me except the visual issue I mentioned.

In contrast, I also own a Cynergy 12.5 and very much can tell the hit is pleasantly softened and that there is more deflection. It showed up as I was missing thin cuts down the rail where I wanted to manipulate the cueball rebound trajectory with left or right spin.

But the two Revos felt and played exactly the same as each other to me. I didn’t do a scientific deflection test but I can say my muscle memory didn’t need adjustment when switching between the two. Again compared to the Cynergy, the Revos had less deflection and maybe more of a crisp, tingy hit to them. That bothers some people but I spent enough quality time with it that it became an acquired taste (like beer or Diet Coke) where you you grow to enjoy it and expect it.
Thanks for the reply 👍

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For me, the main difference between the 12.4 and the "12" is the more precise placement on the cue ball. The hit and the draw are pretty much too close to notice, at least to me. The conical taper is extremely slight. I have played with pro taper CF shafts and, again, to me, I hardly notice the difference. I have short fingers and if the conical taper was noticeable, I'd be the first one to notice.

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you very much, to all that posted and voted so far, I value your oppinion greatly and I hope others will chime in too.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I bought an 11.8 off seyberts in 3/8x10 pin and it's 11.84mm at the vault plate.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm not a cf person, but this is nuts
a 0.2mm difference at the tip can be a little, or a lot
but that predator would allow such poor quality control
let alone be accepted in spite of it
just seems wrong

edit: on the subject, if predator was advertising that their cue had a conical taper, I would question (and measure) that, as well

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
can anyone provide a link to buy an 11.8 in 5/16x14?
i couldnt find any with a google search

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
can anyone provide a link to buy an 11.8 in 5/16x14?
i couldnt find any with a google search
Haven't seen any yet. Only other pin I've seen so far besides radial & uni-loc has been the 3/8x10. Back when the 11.8's 1st came out I emailed predator asking when other pins were coming and they told me around April. April 1st is when I found the 3/8x10 on Seyberts, can only assume the other pins should follow soon too.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Haven't seen any yet. Only other pin I've seen so far besides radial & uni-loc has been the 3/8x10. Back when the 11.8's 1st came out I emailed predator asking when other pins were coming and they told me around April. April 1st is when I found the 3/8x10 on Seyberts, can only assume the other pins should follow soon too.
thanks alot for the reply (y)

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks alot for the reply (y)
Contact Rick Sinclair on Facebook, he is a Predator official dealer and a really good guy with lots of great references, I also bought from him, he currently has 11.8 in 5/16x18, but probably knows when is 5/16x14 coming out.

I'll use this chance to again plead for some more insight into the differences between these two shafts, for those who tried both. Thanks everyone :)

Reactions: bbb