Anyone remember Joe Bachelor?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
He used to manage a pool hall in Berkeley. They had a small exhibition poster up of him saying he had a high run of 220 or so. I thought that was pretty good since I had never seen anyone run 50 at the time. I think he was mostly around the Palace at about that time (mid 60s).

The story they told about him was that he started playing at about 16 and within six months he had run 100. Someone dismissed it as no big thing saying he was probably playing 8 hours a day.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of Joe talked about here.

I always find it interesting to read about some great players who could virtually set records during their practice play but just did not have the temperament for competitive play. It occurs throughout the entire sports world- not just pool. That is why, in my opinion, non competitive sports records have a secondary place in the sports world- having or developing the internal competitive spirit is a component of sports success that needs to be considered in evaluating any sports figure, IMO - because overcoming the pressures of stiff competition completes the physical and strategic skill development aspects of sports - again, just my opinion.

I can recall so often in "open" pool tournaments where a guy would look like a champ during his warm- up session on the table, and then once the tournament starts and they get matched against any top elite player- their stroke ability and thought process just crumbles. Nothing to be ashamed of, happens to most, if you don't have that internal drive to win, it can be developed- but you have to want it- very much want it!

Last edited:

L.S. Dennis

I will attest to what George Fels says in that article on Joe Bachelor. During the mid 60’s I remember seeing Bachelor hand racking the balls as Fels describes and I too have never seen anyone else able to do this.

I remember talking to Sax Dal Porto once and Bachelor’s name came up, I remember Sax saying that Bachelor
played wonderful pattern play in straight pool. May both rest in peace.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will attest to what George Fels says in that article on Joe Bachelor. During the mid 60’s I remember seeing Bachelor hand racking the balls as Fels describes and I too have never seen anyone else able to do this.

I remember talking to Sax Dal Porto once and Bachelor’s name came up, I remember Sax saying that Bachelor
played wonderful pattern play in straight pool. May both rest in peace.

I used to play with a guy back in Omaha who would hand rack 9B.

L.S. Dennis

He would hand/arm rack the balls in a perfect tight triangle when he practiced straight pool. He would just roll them up into his triangled formed arm it took less than a second, Truly amazing!

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He would hand/arm rack the balls in a perfect tight triangle when he practiced straight pool. He would just roll them up into his triangled formed arm it took less than a second, Truly amazing!

Yep, it says they gather them on the bottom rails with both arms and puts them in a triangle (which is what I do oddly - then I just put the rack on right there and slide it up) and then they roll them forward into their arms. Looks like I'll be trying this tonight :)

L.S. Dennis

Just to be clear, there was no rack involved when Bachelor did this, just his hands and arms for a perfect rack.