World Cup Of Pool (9-14 May2021) $250K Prizemoney

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
What pissed me off the most was the commentators trying to justify the bad call by saying they had a bunch of chances - has nothing to do with it

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Still don't deserve to lose to a HUGE mistake in calling the correct time.
Yes, Leyman certainly goofed. I was kind of surprised that the time clock could not be overriden because of the mistake in giving a late 5-sec. warning. The player clearly shot in less than 5 seconds after the 5-sec. warning. It kind of means the verbal 5-sec. warning should never be relied on and the players must go by the clock itself.

[Edit -- this may be a reason to go with the automated beep, beep, beep, even though it is annoying}

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
They were using the beeper in the beginning of the tournament. Any idea why they stopped using it?
No, I don't. But I wonder whether the beeper is actually automated to start exactly at the 5-sec. point, or does a human push a button to start it? If the latter, the same problem is possible.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the guy who yells 5 seconds is distracting.........i'd miss all shots as he yells 5 secs if iam down on a shot.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
with the winning teams of the four last world cups either out or not able to compete + philippines hasn't got their best players, my tip is:

1. Japan
2. UK
3-4. Poland, NL

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Travel issues for Canada. Boyes and Appleton will enter as a GB C team.....

probably less a threat than canada would've been. but they were once a formidable scotch doubles team. could be either interesting or painful to watch

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Yes, Leyman certainly goofed. I was kind of surprised that the time clock could not be overriden because of the mistake in giving a late 5-sec. warning. The player clearly shot in less than 5 seconds after the 5-sec. warning. It kind of means the verbal 5-sec. warning should never be relied on and the players must go by the clock itself.

[Edit -- this may be a reason to go with the automated beep, beep, beep, even though it is annoying}
The shot was taken two seconds after the five second warning and the video makes this obvious.

The usually exceptional referee John Leyman messed up here, but this situation was easily rectified, and a relevant precedent can be found in a match played by Jayson Shaw, who was commentating this match, making it all the more incredible that Jayson wasn't sympathetic here to this miscarriage of justice at the pool table

At the 2019 International 9-ball, in a match that would decide who would reach the last four, Jayson Shaw broke leading 8-7 over Kazakis, and he broke wet. The referee, who was supposed to remove the template immediately upon the break and to stop the shot clock while attending to the template failed to perform his duty and Jayson decided to try to do it himself.

Although Jayson slightly moved a ball while unsuccessfully attempting to lift the template, this was deemed not to be a foul, as Jayson had been acting as referee. The referee eventually realized they had snoozed their duty and approached the table to attend to the template. The shot clock ran out and a shot clock violation foul was called by the shot clock operator, The thing is, though, that the referee, who was busy attending to the template, had not issued Jayson the customary 10 second warning. Hence, upon further consideration, it was decided that this was not a shot clock violation and Shaw was permitted to continue shooting at a critical juncture of a big match in a late round of a major event.

When a referee fails to properly issue the shot clock warning, it was ruled at the 2019 International 9-ball, a player will not be assessed a shot clock expiration foul ...... at least that was the rule as I understood it until yesterday. This was pretty poor stuff, and while Leyman's mistake was excusable, not reviewing the video after the Belgian players took exception, was inexcusable.

Absolutely dreadful stuff here, and Team Belgium has every right to be furious.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
probably less a threat than canada would've been. but they were once a formidable scotch doubles team. could be either interesting or painful to watch
The field is weak this year (not in terms of ability but in lack of experience in playing in these kind of tournaments) so they actually have half a chance of doing ok. Darren has been playing English pool recently and not played stellar. Karl will tell us he has not picked up a cue but I doubt that's entirely true. Not the most deserving entry on form but it's certainly good for the tournament to have two more big names in there.

I think the alternatives were to convince two UK based Chinese snooker players to give it a go (they would be competitive at 9 ball) or find a couple of semi-recognisable pros from another country who just happen to be in the UK (which would likely be the case in London in normal times but not during covid times).

It will.be interesting to see whether they take it seriously and dig deep, or see it as a freeroll. Either way I'm looking forward to it.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree the shot clock issue was horrendous. It's a simple fix - reset the balls, reset the clock.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Probably...? Definitively...

I wish them the best, and I hope they can just set their minds to free roll mode.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The shot was taken two seconds after the five second warning and the video makes this obvious.

The usually exceptional referee John Leyman messed up here, but this situation was easily rectified, and a relevant precedent can be found in a match played by Jayson Shaw, who was commentating this match, making it all the more incredible that Jayson wasn't sympathetic here to this miscarriage of justice at the pool table.
Yes, there was no reason to stand by the call. I think Matchroom has a policy that ref’s calls cannot be reviewed. Something similar happened with a call in the Championship League Pool - it was called a bad hit but it was an obviously wrong call, and they said it could not be reviewed. I understand that you don’t want players arguing with calls, but in this case the table ref could have discussed it with the timer and decided to let this shot stand. It didn’t impact the shot at all. They could have just let the other team shoot rather than giving ball in hand.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Probably...? Definitively...

I wish them the best, and I hope they can just set their minds to free roll mode.
My bad... I didn't realize Canada got completely bumped out of the tournament. Just catching up with the drama now

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even with the weak cast this year, the big guns are struggling and have not been impressive. Sure this is first round and they are getting used to tables blah blah blah. But in past years, you still see strong performances from some big guns, not so this year
I think this year we could see a surprise winner probably non of the top guns.
I like these dogs to go far this year.
*Underdogs (200-1) odds to win Slovakia who thrashed defending champs Austria. They were the Team of Day 1 and possibly Round 1
*Old Dogs Appleton and Boyes. They stole the final vs Holland so don't underestimate these old dogs
*Top Dogs Shaw & Melling- They have commentating, lurking settled down studying matches and tables

Meanwhile Italy 5-2 up on favorite Spain and getting on hill. I see an upset coming up ;)

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even with the weak cast this year, the big guns are struggling and have not been impressive. Sure this is first round and they are getting used to tables blah blah blah. But in past years, you still see strong performances from some big guns, not so this year
I think this year we could see a surprise winner probably non of the top guns.
I like these dogs to go far this year.
*Underdogs (200-1) odds to win Slovakia who thrashed defending champs Austria. They were the Team of Day 1 and possibly Round 1
*Old Dogs Appleton and Boyes. They stole the final vs Holland so don't underestimate these old dogs
*Top Dogs Shaw & Melling- They have commentating, lurking settled down studying matches and tables

Meanwhile Italy 5-2 up on favorite Spain and getting on hill. I see an upset coming up ;)

So what you're saying is USA has a shot?

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another mega upset- Favorite #3 seed Spain is out going down to so called minnows #30 Italy (though I think they should be ranked much higher)
Germany up next