Pawn Stars

Scrunge19

Registered
I went to that store a few years back when I was in Vegas for USAPL. The magic of TV does wonders for that place so it was really underwhelming. Their store is tiny and much of the space they do have is taken up by show related merchandise/cardboard cutout of Rick you can take your picture next to. They have very little pawn goods to sell there.

Cuaba

Livin Large
Silver Member
They have my book in the shop and every once in a while you can see it on the shelf behind the old man. I have offered to appear as a cue expert on the show if they ever get a good one. I also screen tested to star in a reality show for the History Channel, but it never got off the ground.
OldMan.jpg

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
It's all scripted. These people aren't just visiting and happen by. The show flies them out there after scouring Craig's List, Penny Saver, Thrifty Nickle, etc. from all over the country looking for items of historic interest. The price is agreed upon beforehand.

It's so phoney. Pawn shops make money underwriting loans. Contrary to what Coco says, they want the customer to come back. They want to keep the loans open as long as possible.
I've actually been to the pawn shop of the show "Pawn Stars" in Las Vegas, although I was not there to conduct business, just to look around.

You're right that the show doesn't really represent the typical goings on in that pawn shop. There is, however another way in which they make a lot of money, and that is by purchasing and reselling items containing silver or gold. They'll give you quite a bit less than the value of the precious metals contained in your items and melt it all down for a profit. Last time I was there, the line for customers selling silver and gold items was very long.

Last edited:

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I've actually been to the pawn shop of the show "Pawn Stars" in Las Vegas, although I was not there to conduct business, just to look around.

You're right that the show doesn't really represent the typical goings on in that pawn shop. There is, however another way in which they make a lot of money, and that is by purchasing and reselling items containing er or gold. They'll give you quite a bit less than the value of the precious metals contained in your items and melt it all down for a profit. Last time I was there, the line for customers selling silver and gold items was very long.
Yes, I recall years before the show, driving up that seedy section of LVB between Sahara and Fremont St., there would be a line at the 24 hour window, any time of the night.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've found and flipped some decent cues in local pawn shops. In the case of the cues in the video I'm sure they have had nicer cues than those in their shop. I'm guessing they chose those because they are colorful and 99% of viewers don't know they are cheap cues.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
They have my book in the shop and every once in a while you can see it on the shelf behind the old man. I have offered to appear as a cue expert on the show if they ever get a good one. I also screen tested to star in a reality show for the History Channel, but it never got off the ground.View attachment 594890
Heck, that could be easily staged....anybody here want to "sell" their Bushka?

Flintlock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The dude with the long hair is the drummer from Christian metal band, Stryper. Name is Robert Sweet.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's all scripted. These people aren't just visiting and happen by. The show flies them out there after scouring Craig's List, Penny Saver, Thrifty Nickle, etc. from all over the country looking for items of historic interest. The price is agreed upon beforehand.

It's so phoney. Pawn shops make money underwriting loans. Contrary to what Coco says, they want the customer to come back. They want to keep the loans open as long as possible.
Pawn Stars wants to keep the SHOW and those 20K-80K per episode per person salaries (guess) going for as long as possible. They might not even still be in business without the show. Same for American Pickers-They drive 600 miles and buy 20 old oil cans and a rusty Iron Gate. Sorry, that doesn't work! Dont get me started on the 'Curse of Oak Island'.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ding...ding...ding... we have a winner!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you sure?-Some States require the loan be repaid in 30 days plus a short grace period. Possibly many- What is the period in Vegas?

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
Pawn Stars wants to keep the SHOW and those 20K-80K per episode per person salaries (guess) going for as long as possible. They might not even still be in business without the show. Same for American Pickers-They drive 600 miles and buy 20 old oil cans and a rusty Iron Gate. Sorry, that doesn't work! Dont get me started on the 'Curse of Oak Island
Let's add CNN to the list as well.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pawn Stars wants to keep the SHOW and those 20K-80K per episode per person salaries (guess) going for as long as possible. They might not even still be in business without the show. Same for American Pickers-They drive 600 miles and buy 20 old oil cans and a rusty Iron Gate. Sorry, that doesn't work! Dont get me started on the 'Curse of Oak Island'.
I Curse every time I see that stupid Oak Island crap is on in place of things I'd rather watch.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I Curse every time I see that stupid Oak Island crap is on in place of things I'd rather watch.
You have obviously missed the recent "game changer' clues they have found (about 30rd of them) When Bobo comes back off Thorazine and finds Bigfoot, the Oak Island's treasure will be unearthed!

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Are you sure?-Some States require the loan be repaid in 30 days plus a short grace period. Possibly many- What is the period in Vegas?
The shop will close the loan and reopen it, or write a new one, the same minute.

The only thing worse than having a store front full of crap not earning is having the back full of crap not earning, waiting to be moved up front.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have obviously missed the recent "game changer' clues they have found (about 30rd of them) When Bobo comes back off Thorazine and finds Bigfoot, the Oak Island's treasure will be unearthed!
Hahahaha! (y)

I wish Oak Island would become submerged so there would be more room for cool stuff...like The History of Pool or more cool car shows. I am ready for some new Counting Cars episodes too.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I recall years before the show, driving up that seedy section of LVB between Sahara and Fremont St., there would be a line at the 24 hour window, any time of the night.
People with fake Rolexes for Corey to buy at the genuine price. What an arrogant idiot that guy is. BTW- I have read Chumlee is the richest guy on the show. The reason he wins every racing contest, shooting, trivia etc is because America loves the underdog and most are not smart enough to see it is all set up.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was there in 2014 and 2015. Asked about pool cues. Reply was "don't got none and don't want none"
IIRC, Rick bought some real POS Mosconi Brand Walamrt type Cue w autograph before that for 400 that wasn't worth $60. Maybe they learned their lesson

Last edited: