How to Curve an Object Ball

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video that presents a challenge or proposition shot that clearly proves that an object ball (OB) can be swerved using topspin and backspin, especially if there is significant throw due to cling/skid/kick. I also use the technique to beat an old OB Swerve Challenge from Bob Jewett. I also demonstrate an OB jump shot and a little "pool magic" trickery. Check it out:

Contents (with timestamp links):
0:00 - Intro
0:52 - The Challenge
3:12 - Bending the OB to the Pocket
4:23 - Jumping the OB Instead
5:15 - Using “Pool Magic” Instead
6:40 - Wrap Up

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy!

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
It's interesting to me that you need follow on the CB to get the bend - I suppose that's to have downward motion on the CB contact point as it hits the OB (to create masse rotation)?

Did you discover an optimum cut angle? Frame-by-frame viewing shows a bigger overcut at contact than I expected.

pj
chgo

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's interesting to me that you need follow on the CB to get the bend - I suppose that's to have downward motion on the CB contact point as it hits the OB (to create masse rotation)?

Bingo. Because of the thrown OB direction, the transferred bottom spin to the OB has a masse component. FYI, the physics and math are here if you are interested:

Did you discover an optimum cut angle? Frame-by-frame viewing shows a bigger overcut at contact than I expected.

Remember, I have chalk at the contact point so there is cling/skid/kick, and the effect is larger with a larger cut angle (see the bottom of TP A.14 and TP A.17). I used close to a 45 degree cut in the video to get a strong cling effect without needing to use too much speed (which reduces throw and cling).

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video that presents a challenge or proposition shot that clearly proves that an object ball (OB) can be swerved using topspin and backspin, especially if there is significant throw due to cling/skid/kick. I also use the technique to beat an old OB Swerve Challenge from Bob Jewett. I also demonstrate an OB jump shot and a little "pool magic" trickery. Check it out:

Contents (with timestamp links):
0:00 - Intro
0:52 - The Challenge
4:23 - Jumping the OB Instead
5:15 - Using “Pool Magic” Instead
6:40 - Wrap Up

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy!
Wow, I would have bet against that!

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cool vid again Dave! I knew this was possible long time..
One day I was wondering if you would combine slight jump to hit ob could it make effect even larger?

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can apply the jump dynamics to frozen balls too. Often times when you're faced with a forcible carom ( the draw --> follow gearing kind) but the approach angle is too shallow, a jump/ram stroke can do the trick.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I am not crazy after all😉 Bob recently challenged me on the swerve in a thread. I let it go as who am I to challenge him. (Translation- too lazy to video!)

I jump object balls over blocking balls quite often. I was playing a eye dr. and jumped a 8 ball over a full blocking ball. This time the 8 jumped about a foot off the bed which is way higher then I have ever seen. The Dr. said "When you called the 8 there , I couldn't imagine what you were trying. After you jumped the 8 I am not sure I dont need my eyes checked".

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow, I would have bet against that!
I think I would still bet against it if only a few attempts are allowed. The hit needs to be perfect to take advantage of the "subtle" effect, even with the cling/skid/kick from chalk on the ball (which makes aiming very tough, especially with small changes in speed).

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cool vid again Dave!

Thanks!

I knew this was possible long time..
One day I was wondering if you would combine slight jump to hit ob could it make effect even larger?

Jumping the OB is "cheating," and when you add speed to jump, you lose throw and spin transfer. Obviously, with a real shot, the jump is the way to go; but with the proposition/challenge shot, even a small jump would be an obvious cheat.