Chalkmagnet Review

mooseman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently picked up a chalkmagnet magnetic chalk holder. I had questions for Thomas (the owner). He quickly responded.

First go to the site http://chalkmagnet.com He has videos showing how strong the magnets are.

He uses a unique and elegant way to magnetize the chalk for use with the holder/receiver. You can place the receiver in your pocket and attach the chalk to your pants. You can attached the receiver to your belt or waistband or pocket.

It is an outstanding alternative to the kamui holder at a more reasonable price.

He has magnetized more higher end chalks ie kamui, blue diamond, predator, etc. This drove my first question for what to do if we already owned nonmagnetized chalk. Are the holder reusable. These answer of course is yes with a caveat. You really have to see the magnetized chalk at the website and how he attaches a magnet to the chalk.

Finally it came with a nice jewellers bag. I have left the receiver in the bag and place in my front pocket and attached the magnetized chalk to my pants. It is more than secure.

I give a 10 out of 10.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mooseman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Some photos of the chalkmagnet from the website.

b55c957400c1fa202158e049b0c7ada1.jpg

9ddbf69efe792d8d15f8b634974df17a.jpg

330bdec34bdd5091d57f62f0e072fe3d.jpg

Last edited:

mooseman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the review and link. I just ordered one yesterday.

Maniac
I came across the holder by accident when looking for magnetic chalk holders. Of course first stop was AZ.

I had questions about what to do as your chalk wears down. I try to fully use my chalk. Thomas (the owner) answered all my questions.

Per Thomas the enclosure and magnet are not reusable and should last the life of the chalk. See post 7. Of course you can buy new magnetized chalk on his website. The cost is pretty competitive.

So far I am impressed by the product and the owner.

Last edited:

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you have to buy your chalk from him going forward, or the end user can move the magnet from chalk to chalk?

mooseman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need to correct my review after the owner read it. I apologize for assuming the plastic could be reused....... Note: I still think it's a GREAT product.

---------------------

Direct from thomas@chalkmagnet.com

Their is a very misleading statement or two on the AZ Billiards forum. The plastic encasement can not be removed and re-used. My attached magnet and plastic housing are so inexpensive.. they are intended to be thrown away when the chalk is no longer usable.

“The plastic that holds the magnet and chalk is tight. If you are careful you can removed the chalk and insert a new piece. Of course you can buy new magnetized chalk on his website. The cost is pretty competitive.”

As stated on the home page of my website, this magnet and polyolefin plastic is not reusable and is to be considered a permanent attachment. It was designed to last for the tenure of the life of the chalk and then disposed of. Its sole purpose is intended for the long lasting chalks...8 months to 18 months of use...perhaps even longer. It was also designed to be comfortable between the fingers, eliminating the clunky feel of the bulky plastic chalk holders.*

The magnet is attached with a 3M adhesive that is the same quality as used in setting windows in high rise buildings. The polyolefin plastic is not reusable. The adhesive and plastic work together to keep the magnet in place without turning loose.

I would suggest that you just tell people to read my “home page” and their questions will be answered. My email is shown on that page as well.

Regarding “having to use my chalk” the answer is no, they do not have to use my chalk. After using it, they will most likely want to use it though....They can use any magnetic chalk holder with the north pole facing outward or one with a reversible magnet. The Kamui “The Shark” and my Receivers both have their receiver’s South Pole facing outward. The Kamui black chalk holders has a reversible magnet. It is an example of a reversible magnet set up.*

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Thanks for the review and link. I just ordered one yesterday.

Maniac

Got my Chalk Magnet and tried it out a few times. I think I could pick up a small car with this thing. Way stronger magnet that the other two products that I previously tried.

The thing is, not only is the magnet strong, but the metal on the encased piece of chalk is also magnetized (reversed polarity).

I first tried it on the elastic waistband on a pair of athletic sweatpants. I almost pulled the sweats down over my butt trying to get the chalk off.

Next, I wore jeans with a thick leather belt. It would have worked perfectly in that configuration except for the fact that I use my right hand to chalk with, and having the chalk ride that high up on my right side would sometimes interfere with my stroking movements.

So, the other night in league play I clipped the magnet to the back pocket of my blue jeans and it worked just fine. Even sitting down didn't knock the chalk off of the magnet. Did I mention that this magnet is STRONG???

Another thing I'm going to try the next time out is just tucking the whole magnet, clip and all, down into the pocket of my jeans. I'm 100% positive it's going to work well in this method too.

Five stars out of five. I highly recommend it.

Maniac

mooseman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I usually use with the metal receiver clipped to my jeans front pocket. Tonight during league I left the receiver in the jeweler's bag in my pocket and attached the magnetized chalk out the pocket. It held securely.

Thanks Thomas. 6 out of 5.....;)

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you can get those neodymium magnets pretty cheap on amazon. Couldn't you just use some hot glue on the bottom of a cue of chalk to place the magnet? you could even move the magnet to a new piece of chalk by just reheating.

I have used the hot glue with stuff that pulls a lot harder than this and never had it break loose. I use it all the time on work benches and etc to hold tools.

mooseman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you can get those neodymium magnets pretty cheap on amazon. Couldn't you just use some hot glue on the bottom of a cue of chalk to place the magnet? you could even move the magnet to a new piece of chalk by just reheating.

I have used the hot glue with stuff that pulls a lot harder than this and never had it break loose. I use it all the time on work benches and etc to hold tools.
There are always options available using magnets as you mentioned.

I was trying to solve a problem with one of my chalk holders as the chalk wears down using magnets, etc. That's when I accidentally came across the chalkmagnet.

I was just reviewing the chalkmagnet, not the other DIY options that people have tried.

Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Just now ordered another ChalkMagnet. My wife took mine away from me to use it herself, because it worked so well and she really likes it too.

Maniac

crawf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will begin with the fact that I have been using chalk holders for a long time. I have used a few different stick types, belt clip types and several magnetic types over the years.

I came across the CHALKmagnet product on a billiard forum. I reached out to Thomas via email, after a few back and forth messages, I placed the order.

As soon as I opened the holder, I could tell it is a high quality product. The chalk has a magnet attached to it with a semi clear film. I really like this because it is not bulky like others I have tried.

I headed to the pool hall to begin using it. The product works great! The magnets on the holder and chalk are strong. There is a small learning curve; the chalk needs to be rolled off the holder, not pulled off. Within half an hour, I was removing the chalk using the roll method without thinking about it.

This is by far the best chalk holder I have used. The chalk will not come off accidentally. In addition, Thomas was great to work with.

If you use expensive chalk, I would highly recommend getting the CHALKmagnet.

John

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I do not like this type of Chalk holder, reason is it is like many other products. I like to burst on my Chalk, and after a small amount of use, becase the holder is so ling, Burshing is not possible. Wish someone would invent like a device that gripped Botton 1/4" of Chalk Cube. Just my wish.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
I do not like this type of Chalk holder, reason is it is like many other products. I like to burst on my Chalk, and after a small amount of use, becase the holder is so ling, Burshing is not possible. Wish someone would invent like a device that gripped Botton 1/4" of Chalk Cube. Just my wish.

I agree, I like to brush/scuff the tip with the chalk instead of grinding it on. I saw the magnetic ones and loved the idea, but like you I did not like the holder covering the entire side of the chalk. It does look like it is possible to trim the plastic wrap on the ChalkMagnet as you wear the chalk down.

I had the plastic stick in the pocket type holder, but it kept falling out of my pocket. I liked having a holder, so I replaced the plastic stick with a brass spike I found on a ship wreck. It never fell out again, but chalking with the heavy spike was more awkward. I decided to try my hand at making a magnetic one I would like.

I had the Predator chalk at the time so I made one to fit it first. That octagon shape is definitely a pain to work with. Since Master was a common chalk I made one for it to. After a while I decided I like the Master chalk as well or better, so I started using it instead. I do use Silver Cup now which has dimensions a hair smaller than Master. I made the holder fit the Master and the Silver Cup still fits well. It holds the bottom half of the chalk, and once it wears down that far, a spacer can let me get some more use out of it.

I am impressed with the ChalkMagnet's magnetic attraction and ability to stay on when bumped. Having a metal clip as well as the holder's magnet being essentially external with a rounded contour, the ChalkMagnet is very resistant to getting knocked off. I decided to sacrifice a little bit of magnetic strength for aesthetics. The magnet is hidden inside the wooden base. The pocket clip is just a cheap money clip. Being a "cheap" clip I did replaced one of the magnets with a better one. The thin wood and clip material slightly reduces the magnetic strength. I can't whack mine around like the video, but I am very happy with its ability to stay on under normal use. I like to wear it on my back pocket so chairs with a back support can be a problem sometimes, now I'm just in the habit of setting it on the table when I sit in those types of chairs.

The ChalkMagnet is a well made, functional, and durable product. Sorry my simple response turned into something else. I guess I'm just proud of my holder and wanted to share.

PurpleHeart-CurlyMaple.png

on-pocket-medium-jpeg.597585

PurpleHeart-Oak.jpg

Attachments

• On Pocket (Medium).JPEG
    On Pocket (Medium).JPEG
    326.4 KB · Views: 521
Last edited:
Reactions: Pin

jjspelman

This particular thread is a great sales tool. Just had my ChalkMagnet delivered yesterday. He takes great care in packaging as well!

Attachments

• chalkmagnet.jpg
    chalkmagnet.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 134

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer to use a leather chalk pouch that is so convenient and easily positioned or adjusted.
And you can use any chalk & it doesn’t have to be magnetized and it’s easy & clean to use.