Predator Pool Table

kitsap

Registered
A couple of under the hood pictures from the internet. The Predator version does not have the side skirts.

Sam-k-steel-set-up-frame.jpg

Attachments

• Sam-K-steel-assemble-slates-on-level-and-filled.jpg
    Sam-K-steel-assemble-slates-on-level-and-filled.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 157
  • ksteel-frame-500x500.jpg
    ksteel-frame-500x500.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 156

Nyquil

A couple of under the hood pictures from the internet. The Predator version does not have the side skirts.

View attachment 598217
It looks decent that ball return seems like it would be loud. Do not see any lining. Good to have options though. I guess we will see how the QC is once these start getting into the wild.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is possible they changed the mechanical design of the table in addition to the aesthetic design. No one would know for sure unless they spoke directly to Sam or saw the table in detail with their own eyes.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone seen the new Predator Pool Table?
Other than the pockets being too forgiving, this Predator table used in the world championships is a sharp looking table. The forgiving pockets would be fine for poolrooms, but I’d hope they make some adjustments to make them play a little tougher for future Matchroom tournaments they’ll be used in.

The top of the pockets appear to be perfectly flush with the rail tops even more so than the latest version diamond or gold crown.

The sound of the balls going in the drop pockets was unique. I don’t know if that was the result of Matchroom placing mics in the bottom of the pockets, but it was awesome.

It will be interesting to hear the player’s feedback as to how they rate the table, particularly compared to a Diamond or Rasson table. Of course, we’ll have to ignore feedback coming from players who are sponsored by Predator or Rasson, for obvious reasons.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Other than the pockets being too forgiving, this Predator table used in the world championships is a sharp looking table. The forgiving pockets would be fine for poolrooms, but I’d hope they make some adjustments to make them play a little tougher for future Matchroom tournaments they’ll be used in.

The top of the pockets appear to be perfectly flush with the rail tops even more so than the latest version diamond or gold crown.

The sound of the balls going in the drop pockets was unique. I don’t know if that was the result of Matchroom placing mics in the bottom of the pockets, but it was awesome.

It will be interesting to hear the general honest opinions of the player’s feedback as to how they rate the table. Of course, we’ll have to ignore feedback coming from players who are sponsored by Predator, for obvious reasons.
I guess everyone missed those shots where the pockets spit the balls back out of the pockets, and the Olhausen rattle effect in the outer have of the pockets, bouncing the balls out of the pockets. And the fact that there was no hanger balls deep in the pockets, because they have short slate shelfs!!!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess everyone missed those shots where the pockets spit the balls back out of the pockets, and the Olhausen rattle effect in the outer have of the pockets, bouncing the balls out of the pockets. And the fact that there was no hanger balls deep in the pockets, because they have short slate shelfs!!!
I wasn’t aware of that, but it certainly needs to be addressed/fixed. RC designs leather pockets had the same problem with balls occasionally shooting straight back on the table off the back of the pocket. Was that happening on these pockets?

As to the shallow slate shelves which we all agree on, can’t that be solved simply by altering the pocket radius cutouts on the slates?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I wasn’t aware of that, but it certainly needs to be addressed/fixed. RC designs leather pockets had the same problem with balls occasionally shooting straight back on the table off the back of the pocket. Was that happening on these pockets?

As to the shallow slate shelves which we all agree on, can’t that be solved simply by altering the pocket radius cutouts on the slates?
What about the Olhausen rattle in the pockets? They played like superballs were used for facings.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What about the Olhausen rattle in the pockets? They played like superballs were used for facings.
Yes, having pocket facings that are too lively can certainly be a problem. I assume that is another fix that would not be difficult to solve, if they admit and address the issue.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Change is good. It really is time to shake things up a bit. Wouldn't it be funny if Predator just completely ate Big D's lunch?

They'll call it "The Pool Table Wars." My Deddy is Biggern' Yo Deddy.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Change is good. It really is time to shake things up a bit. Wouldn't it be funny if Predator just completely ate Big D's lunch?

They'll call it "The Pool Table Wars." My Deddy is Biggern' Yo Deddy.
Yes, easier playing pockets with shallower shelves could be the wave of the future, at least for poolroom tables and possibly even for professional tournament tables. The game is already too hard for most of us!

L.S. Dennis

That's not it. Predator hasn't released pics yet. Whatta you bet it looks like a Rasson? Just a guess but it wouldn't surprise me if that's who they chose to build it.
It had better not be it, no one but Bezos or Gates will spend that kind of money for a pool table.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Yes, having pocket facings that are too lively can certainly be a problem. I assume that is another fix that would not be difficult to solve, if they admit and address the issue.
Another problem NO ONE sees, is the table UNDER the skin you're looking at! Everyone judges the table as they SEE it, and "oh, its a great looking table" and "hopefully it'll change the future of pool" and all that bullshit!! How many people have actually had to WORK on those tables, and can give THEIR feedback???? I for one have worked on enough of them that I WON'T work on any more, that's for sure! Did they actually fix those damn plastic leg levelers, or do they still use them, so the leveler bolts can bust through the leveler foot? I'd bet those rails are still made from hollow extruded aluminum, and only offer a little strip of wood to staple the rail cloth to...what a joke!!! Have they solved the problems of the 3 piece slates coming apart, keep in mind who works on those pool tables when someone buys one and has it set up, not to mention the metric bolts used on them! Think about this as well, out of all the table manufacturers in this market, why did they go with SAM???? I guarantee you, there's a reason, and it has NOTHING to do with making pool better for everyone, as so many would like to believe!!!

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I guess everyone missed those shots where the pockets spit the balls back out of the pockets
I certainly did, and I watched the vast majority of the event trhough the DAZN stream. Was there a match in particular in which this happened...? I would definitely try to hunt it down if pointed in the right direction.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I also didn't see any examples of this. If a ball was put into the outside rail hard and then rattle sure, but that's a miss, not a table issue. I never saw a ball going into the inside of the point and not drop. Again, an example match if known and I'd go hunting for it.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I guarantee you, there's a reason, and it has NOTHING to do with making pool better for everyone, as so many would like to believe!!!
It's about margin duh... Like everything with a retail component. However just because there's margin to be made and it's not a Diamond product doesn't mean this particular table is garbage as you would lead us to believe. Until you have hands on one of these Predator banded tables you opinion is no better than mine.

I'll wait a couple of days to retort again so you can get all the multiple quotes of my post out of your system.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also didn't see any examples of this. If a ball was put into the outside rail hard and then rattle sure, but that's a miss, not a table issue. I never saw a ball going into the inside of the point and not drop. Again, an example match if known and I'd go hunting for it.
Here's how you save pool: you open the pockets to the same size they were when Mosconi made "The Run." You let a 3-baller from a family room have his periodic run out and you encourage folks who will never enjoy tight pockets to come on back out and happily compete. Now is not the time in the history of pool to try to turn everybody into Shane. A one-dollar bet for some guys is just enough to get their blood flowing. It's just puckin' stupid to run off 97% of the folks who just want a little excitement in their lives.

Think back. Do you remember your very first run? Was it fun? It was GREAT! It's time to bring that back. Every 20-table-room should dedicate 1 table to the sticks and 19 tables to good folks who make it all happen.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's how you save pool: you open the pockets to the same size they were when Mosconi made "The Run." You let a 3-baller from a family room have his periodic run and you encourage folks who will never enjoy tight pockets to come on back out and happily compete. Now is not the time in the history of pool to try to turn everybody into Shane. A one-dollar bet for some guys is just enough to get their blood flowing. It's just puckin' stupid to run off 97% of the folks who just want a little excitement in their lives.

Think back. Do you remember your very first run? Was it fun? It was GREAT! It's time to bring that back. Every 20-table-room should dedicate 1 table to the sticks and 19 tables to good folks who make it all happen.
Definitely something to think about. When Ernesto returns in October to re-cover our tables, I plan on getting him to alter our pocket specs to make our tables more forgiving.

Not just for the enjoyment of all our customers but for myself. This is a decision I’d made a while ago, as the game just seems to be getting harder the older I get.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
It's about margin duh... Like everything with a retail component. However just because there's margin to be made and it's not a Diamond product doesn't mean this particular table is garbage as you would lead us to believe. Until you have hands on one of these Predator banded tables you opinion is no better than mine.

I'll wait a couple of days to retort again so you can get all the multiple quotes of my post out of your system.
What do you know about aluminum extruded rails??? Do YOU have any experience working on the SAM, Kim Steel pool tables, if not, then who are YOU to argue this point???