can passive income be made as a league operator?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the league is large enough, you can make a living doing it. I believe the APA LO near me earns six figures but the league is very large (150-ish teams). I'd consider most leagues a side hustle for the LO.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the league is large enough, you can make a living doing it. I believe the APA LO near me earns six figures but the league is very large (150-ish teams). I'd consider most leagues a side hustle for the LO.
rexus...150 teams is pretty small by APA standards. When I was an LO 30 years ago you needed a minimum of 100 teams to make a decent living ($40-$50K). Today I would estimate it takes double that (200 teams) to make any kind of living. I doubt that your LO is netting six figures with 150 teams, but likely grossing that much. It's a lot of work, and can be very gratifying, but it's certainly not a cakewalk to make good money. Step one is taking very good care of your league members...meaning you're out there 6-7 nights a week, letting players see you and talk to you.

Scott Lee

Hoogaar

Registered
Ouff - around these parts if anyone would learn you made $5 running a league they would lynch you. A few years back, when the financials were shared and people saw a line item for ink and paper (to print stats and standings to post up in all 12 or so participating bars), there was an uproar. Nevermind all the volunteer time put in to compile the stats and drive around to all the bars to drop off the sheets, etc...they were outraged the stats guy used league funds to pay for ink and paper.

Probably why any league has never lasted more than a few years. The same few volunteers always getting crapped on by people who don't want to lift a finger

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ouff - around these parts if anyone would learn you made $5 running a league they would lynch you. A few years back, when the financials were shared and people saw a line item for ink and paper (to print stats and standings to post up in all 12 or so participating bars), there was an uproar. Nevermind all the volunteer time put in to compile the stats and drive around to all the bars to drop off the sheets, etc...they were outraged the stats guy used league funds to pay for ink and paper.
Typical poolplayers...they think everything should be free. Next time you go to a movie or see a concert you don't like, see if the organizer will refund your money! LMAO Around THESE parts, I don't know anyone who works for free!

Scott Lee

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rexus...150 teams is pretty small by APA standards. When I was an LO 30 years ago you needed a minimum of 100 teams to make a decent living ($40-$50K). Today I would estimate it takes double that (200 teams) to make any kind of living. I doubt that your LO is netting six figures with 150 teams, but likely grossing that much. It's a lot of work, and can be very gratifying, but it's certainly not a cakewalk to make good money. Step one is taking very good care of your league members...meaning you're out there 6-7 nights a week, letting players see you and talk to you.

Scott Lee
Yep.

The LO’s I know work pretty much 7 days a week. On non-league weekends, they run tournaments.

Gas alone is a significant expense to a good sized LO…

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Scott Lee
Here's some quick math. 150 teams x 5 players per week = 750 paying players per week which is $6K in gross revenue weekly @ $8 per player. If you ran leagues for 35 out of 52 weeks it equals $210K in gross revenue. I forget how much APA got per player but for some reason $2 is sticking in my head. So net before expenses is $157,500. Also, if you are set up as a legitimate business, fuel and supplies to run the business are a write off.

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I'm under the impression that my region's CPA (APA) LO does it as a full time gig. Not entirely sure how many teams he has under his privy, or what he's done to feed his kids for the passed year or so with covid lockdowns. Collected Monies .vs. LO earnings .vs. payouts to teams/players is calculated with a 🤷‍♂️ factor.

In comparison... The local CCS (ACS) league I play in is considerably smaller and the LO doesn't make a dime. In fact if anything he loses a tiny bit to covering things like trophies. He generates revenue through billiard supplies but it isn't his full time gig. The man just loves the game. Unlike the CPA counterpart he opens the books to the players, and of course was met with bs from the few who think the pool room shouldn't be paid a dime, or a third party needs to be checking the books, etc...

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Think if you shape league operator, who give trophies.

it is like robbing bank legally.
Nice.

Say whut?
Screenshot_20200117-131916.jpg

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a franchise of a NON APA league near me. I have three nights a week. It is something different for people to try that do not play APA in the area. It is really a side hustle for me. I make good enough money at my job with benefits so no need to leave that. I add money back into the payouts and use some of the money I make to bring in big names so people in my area can experience being around such players when they normally would not have that chance. Being a LO for a large area is like a job. More power to those that want to do it. But for me, I am cool with what I have now.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Local APA Operator is got good thing going. At end of each session, they award 🏆’s.

So I would guess as it is a large league they have good income.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m a LO🤣. Helped a friend start a Fargo league. $20 per player, good for a year. $4 per night, goes to the venue. Paper score sheets. Buddy enters scores himself, no charge. 30+ players so far. We will eventually have to figure out something to compensate the guy doing all the work. All good

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get a rental property if you want passive income. That will require way less work than herding pool cats. Or better yet, buy Apple stock and let it sit for 20 years, reinvest the dividends, and go play pool to your heart's content. That will be completely passive. Zero work required:)

<== Owns rentals and owns apple stock.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Local APA Operator is got good thing going. At end of each session, they award 🏆’s.

So I would guess as it is a large league they have good income.
$4 of every game goes to the Apa as franchise fees. They also give cash payouts to each team that wins tri cups and also pay for hotel and rooms in vegas not to mention other business expensive. It’s not just trophies.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
$4 of every game goes to the Apa as franchise fees. They also give cash payouts to each team that wins tri cups and also pay for hotel and rooms in vegas not to mention other business expensive. It’s not just trophies.

Where you live.