Finally pulled the trigger on professional instruction

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After over 20 years of playing at finally I'm getting the professional instruction that I need. I signed up for the virtual instruction with Anthony Beeler. I could have paid almost three times as much and got 15 or so hours of face-to-face instruction, but once those lessons are over, you're pretty much on your own.

With Anthony's Platinum virtual instruction, I get one year of instruction via video posted on Facebook Messenger. The classroom material is done through Google Classroom.

The first video I sent him he spotted at least four flaws in my stroke and stance. I'm working on it now.

Right now I am a fargorate 549, at least I was before the coronavirus started. Also an APA 6. I will keep updating this thread as my progress continues.

Last edited:

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not looking for free instruction but would you be willing to share 1 of the flaws he found in your stroke or stance? Thanks!

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
After over 20 years of playing at finally I'm getting the professional instruction that I need. I signed up for the virtual instruction with Anthony Beeler. I could have paid almost three times as much and got 15 or so hours of face-to-face instruction, but once those lessons are over, you're pretty much on your own.

With Anthony's Platinum virtual instruction, I get one year of instruction via video posted on Facebook Messenger. The classroom material is done through Google Classroom.

The first video I sent him he spotted at least four flaws in my stroke and stance. I'm working on it now.

Right now I am a fargorate 549, at least I was before the coronavirus started. Also an APA 6. I will keep updating this thread as my progress continues.
Great! I like Anthony Beeler. He is very easy to understand. Let us know which flaw he had you correct made the most difference for you.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not looking for free instruction but would you be willing to share 1 of the flaws he found in your stroke or stance? Thanks!
One of the things was my grip and was too far forward ....it wasn't at 90°. It was also angled in toward my body too far. He can actually measure the degree of the angles by using a program and screenshots of your videos.

I guess the biggest problem I have his elbow drop. It's one of those things where it's so ingrained into your stroke you don't even notice it anymore. Even when you try to notice it, you don't notice it if you get what I mean. This will probably be the hardest thing for me to correct... At least that I'm aware of so far.

I don't want to get too deep with things that I've discussed with Anthony without his permission. I don't want to step on his toes. But the things I've already mentioned are very very common problems... Even among good shooters.

But I would like to mention my progress as I go along.

Last edited:

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the things was my grip and was too far forward ....it wasn't at 90°. It was also angled in toward my body too far. He can actually measure the degree of the angles by using a program and screenshots of your videos.

I guess the biggest problem I have his elbow drop. It's one of those things where it's so ingrained into your stroke you don't even notice it anymore. Even when you try to notice it, you don't notice it if you get what I mean. This will probably be the hardest thing for me to correct... At least that I'm aware of so far.

I don't want to get too deep with things that I've discussed with Anthony without his permission. I don't want to step on his toes. But the things I've already mentioned are very very common problems... Even among good shooters.

But I would like to mention my progress as I go along.
Congrats on taking the plunge! Really curious what your Fargo is, a year from now.

Reactions: Pin

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I know Tom has passed on but has anyone tried something like this to help with elbow drop, if in fact you think elbow drop is bad?

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I know Tom has passed on but has anyone tried something like this to help with elbow drop, if in fact you think elbow drop is bad?
Elbow drop is ok if it happens after contact to cueball. high force shots i think it is almost essential to happen. That can be bad if you try follow though too far though. Resulting steering of stroke normally.
This video shows i got elbow drop too. But AFTER hitting a cueball. I think used to have more when i was young :D

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Elbow drop is ok if it happens after contact to cueball. high force shots i think it is almost essential to happen. That can be bad if you try follow though too far though. Resulting steering of stroke normally.
This video shows i got elbow drop too. But AFTER hitting a cueball. I think used to have more when i was young :D
Correct.... but my arm was at 85 or 86 degrees. This was causing my elbow to drop before contact. Very little good will come from that.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My latest evaluation....

Elbow drow practically non existent!
Eyes at proper level
Grip and grip hand position excellent.
Fulcrum distance proper
Stroke smoothed out with proper pauses.

I am starting to feel good with this. But so far is too mechanical. I have to think about it to make it happen. It will take a little time to execute all the above subconsciously. But I'm getting there.

I'm beginning to feel comfortable with it. At first my ball pocketing went down a little. But I expected that. It is back to approximately where it was before. Once I can execute without thinking, I am confident it will go up.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

tim913...Just FYI, Tom did not invent that product. It was invented by a young German, and Tom tried to help the guy sell some of them. A ridiculous gimmick if you ask me. Elbow drop is not difficult to correct, with the proper hands-on instruction and video analysis. Good luck trying to correct it via online lessons..

To poolmanis...elbow drop is a choice, not a necessity...even for power shots like the break. It certainly adds nothing to the accuracy of the outcome. While you're correct that most pros who elbow drop do it after contact with the CB, the huge majority of amateurs do it before contact, which is a terrible bad habit that causes many misses.

Scott Lee

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tim913...Just FYI, Tom did not invent that product. It was invented by a young German, and Tom tried to help the guy sell some of them. A ridiculous gimmick if you ask me. Elbow drop is not difficult to correct, with the proper hands-on instruction and video analysis. Good luck trying to correct it via online lessons..

To poolmanis...elbow drop is a choice, not a necessity...even for power shots like the break. It certainly adds nothing to the accuracy of the outcome. While you're correct that most pros who elbow drop do it after contact with the CB, the huge majority of amateurs do it before contact, which is a terrible bad habit that causes many misses.

Scott Lee
Absolutely correct... Except for one thing. It wasn't too difficult for me to cure. And yes my problem was elbow drop before or during contact with the cue ball. And you are correct about another thing.... It was causing some of my misses. And having my arm forward of 90° caused a lot of miss cues when I was attempting draw shots.

After a little over a week of practice, my video analysis showed that my elbow drop was completely gone. I just had to focus on it. What takes longer is in grinding that into your psyche so you don't have to think about it. It must be subconscious. I'm still working on that. It will just take time.

I pretty much rebuilt my entire stroke in the last couple of weeks. Along with eliminating my elbow drop, I'm adding proper pauses into my stroke, and I'm positioning the cue properly.

The only good thing I had was the grip, and proper open/close of grip when stroking. Eyeball pocketing has improved, but like I said it's going to take some time for me to do all this subconsciously without thinking about it. I think at that point I will start to excel.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I pretty much rebuilt my entire stroke in the last couple of weeks. Along with eliminating my elbow drop, I'm adding proper pauses into my stroke, and I'm positioning the cue properly.
Congratulations on a quick result. My stroke is still a work in progress.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congratulations on a quick result. My stroke is still a work in progress.
Don't get me wrong, I don't see it as a quick result. But I am making progress. Until I get it ingrained in my subconscious where I don't have to think about it, other areas of my game are being held back.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To poolmanis...elbow drop is a choice, not a necessity...even for power shots like the break. It certainly adds nothing to the accuracy of the outcome.

Scott Lee
Yes. I know that. I just feel that on hard shot speeds it is easier and natural to let it drop little bit than try to focus keeping it still.
I have some student who do it wrong it though. He get rid of it when we practice and then after few weeks it crawls back...

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On power shots, it is inevitable the elbow will drop. I have been trying to avoid power shots for now. At least during my practice sessions.

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What a wise choice!

randyg

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to vent a little. Here it is Saturday, and I haven't had a cue in my hands since Sunday. I work for an AG service, and the weather has cooperated way too well. Worked 14 hours on Monday, 16 on Tuesday, 15 on Wednesday, 15 1/4 on Thursday, and 9 yesterday. Working again today, and likely Sunday. I'm afraid I'm going to lose everything I've learned. I've been reviewing my lessons and rereading Anthony's books in between jobs. Trying to keep my mind involved. Why does work always have to get in the way of more important things?

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look on the bright side of all that work. You will have enough money to visit Bob or Randyg for an up close and in person instruction.