Is Schmidt's and charlie 626 Legit

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I havent seen the 626, but in the few 400s that are available for viewing he breezes through the first 200 balls practically one stroking everything. Then he slows down a bit after that, but still moves at a brisk pace. His 434 ball run on YouTube only took him two hours to complete.
Repeating post #1370 above (based on data from Bob Jewett's #1369) regarding Schmidt's 626:

Using Bob's data, here's how the pace of play proceeded (approximately) throughout the run, for each group of 7 racks (98 balls):​
1st 98 -- 24 min., or 4.1 balls per minute (bpm)​
2nd 98 -- 28 min., 3.5 bpm​
3rd 98 -- 34 min., 2.9 bpm​
4th 98 -- 42 min., 2.3 bpm​
5th 98 -- 47 min., 2.1 bpm​
6th 98 -- 48 min., 2.0 bpm​
final 38 balls -- 20 min., 1.9 bpm​
Total -- 626 balls in 4 hrs and 3 min. (per prior info), 2.6 bpm​

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Repeating post #1370 above (based on data from Bob Jewett's #1369) regarding Schmidt's 626:

Using Bob's data, here's how the pace of play proceeded (approximately) throughout the run, for each group of 7 racks (98 balls):​
That’s quite a pace for those first couple hundred. And that includes racking too I’m assuming.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, has anyone’s mind been changed yet? Just curious if we’re getting anywhere on this or if it’s just a big circle jerk.

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
That’s quite a pace for those first couple hundred. And that includes racking too I’m assuming.
If you were specifically trying for the record, I think you'd go fast at the low numbers. String together a good-sized starting point or bust quickly and start over.
When you've built a good run, you have something worth protecting, so you slow down and take more care.
Makes sense, strategically.

gerryf

Willie Mosconi says his run took 2 hours and 10 minutes, or about 4.1 bpm. That includes the racking as well, so he must have been shooting most of the run at the rate John Schmidt was doing his first couple of hundred.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
If you were specifically trying for the record, I think you'd go fast at the low numbers. String together a good-sized starting point or bust quickly and start over.
When you've built a good run, you have something worth protecting, so you slow down and take more care.
Makes sense, strategically.
I remember reading that was Johns thought process, basically to not waste effort on smaller runs and not overthink the wide open racks.

Reactions: Pin

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember reading that was Johns thought process, basically to not waste effort on smaller runs and not overthink the wide open racks.
Sounds kinda fast to me. I'm not saying he is wrong about his time, but that's certainly the type of run I would have to see to believe. Does anyone really think in that 526 ball run he didn't have at least one OB foul?

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Sounds kinda fast to me. I'm not saying he is wrong about his time, but that's certainly the type of run I would have to see to believe. Does anyone really think in that 526 ball run he didn't have at least one OB foul?
I think you meant to reply to the gerryf. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was an OB foul but it likely would have been disregarded due to it being an exhibition. I’m not too bothered if John has one either as long it doesn’t impact the layout.

The difference with Mosconi is that I don’t think he was aiming for a record so he just kept playing at his normal quick pace. John on the other hand got progressively more nervous as he approached the 400 mark it seemed.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you meant to reply to the gerryf. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was an OB foul but it likely would have been disregarded due to it being an exhibition. I’m not too bothered if John has one either as long it doesn’t impact the layout.

The difference with Mosconi is that I don’t think he was aiming for a record so he just kept playing at his normal quick pace. John on the other hand got progressively more nervous as he approached the 400 mark it seemed.
Correct on all accounts.

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I imagine you would be pretty nervous!

Do we know how many times he came close? Say, within fifty balls of Mosconi's record?

gerryf

'Machine-gun Lou Butera' got his nickname from his fast play. In winning the 1973 World Championship, he ran 150 balls in 21 minutes, or 7.1 bpm, or one ball every 8.4 seconds.

Watching Lou Butera is like watching John Schmidt at 2x speed!!

In snooker,

Tony Drago set the official record for the fastest century in 3 minutes 31 seconds. I don't know how many shots he took, but if he was able to shoot only black, a century takes a minimum of 26 shots. That works out to 6.9 bpm, or one ball every 9 seconds.​
Alex Higgins did a century in 2 minutes, 45 seconds, but it was during a non-ranking tournament so 'it doesn't count'. That's 9.45 bpm, or one shot every 6.4 seconds.​

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I imagine you would be pretty nervous!

Do we know how many times he came close? Say, within fifty balls of Mosconi's record?
Yes, here is a list of Schmidt's 8 highest runs. His two highest before the 626 were 490 and 464.

Reactions: Pin
Status
Not open for further replies.