Full Splice with Rings

It skid

Hi,

Is it possible for a cue butt to be a full splice when there are rings above and below the wrap?

Update:
It is possible that the rings are added after the full splice is built from the replies.

Can the notch or notches be covered under the thick clear finish? I cannot find them.
Are there other things to look for? I can't remove the wrap so that is out.

With ring (pic 1)
predator 16 splice ring.PNG

With black ring (pic 2)
predator le7 ring.PNG

Without ring (pic 3)

predator sneaky no ring.PNG

Without ring (pic 4)
predator LE11 no ring.PNG

Say a sneaky pete butt is a full splice construction, is it possible to insert rings above and below the handle portion and still keep the full splice construction? It would help if someone had a pic or video to show how this can be done. (tried searching for youtube videos on rings with full splice but no luck)

Thanks for looking at this!

Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A full splice cue is two pieces of wood spliced together, so any ringwork below or above the wrap will have to be made by milling in ringwork, a stitch ring design will be alot easier toacomplish than something looking like a continous black ring like pic #2. You can make that ring look allmost like a continous piece, but there will be two notches at minimum.

It skid

A full splice cue is two pieces of wood spliced together, so any ringwork below or above the wrap will have to be made by milling in ringwork, a stitch ring design will be alot easier toacomplish than something looking like a continous black ring like pic #2. You can make that ring look allmost like a continous piece, but there will be two notches at minimum.
Thank you, let me check the rings for the notches you mentioned when I get to see the cue.

So it is actually possible...wow.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Extremely unlikely for the cue in pic 1. It's pretty rare to put rings in after the fact. But yes, it is possible.

JC

Coos Cues
When I built this extension I goofed and forgot one black and one white rings right next to the burl so it didn't match the cue. I installed them at both ends of the burl after the extension was glued up without cutting the extension in half.

194311585_3247742352124493_4811362529597524400_n.jpg

It skid

So I got to look at the cue under stronger light, but I cannot see the notches.
Can the notch or notches be covered under the thick clear finish?

I think it is more my inexperienced eyes then the cue 🤣

Are there other things to look for? Obviously, I can't remove the wrap so that is out.

CavinTan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Extremely unlikely for the cue in pic 1. It's pretty rare to put rings in after the fact. But yes, it is possible.
Yes, it is very possible to have rings below and above the wrap, however it is almost unlikley you will find anything like it.

i am currently working on 1 now.

It skid

Yes, it is very possible to have rings below and above the wrap, however it is almost unlikley you will find anything like it.

i am currently working on 1 now.
How is it almost unlikely to find anything like it? The cues in pic 1 and 2 with rings below and above the wrap and you can buy them from stores.

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You mean 2 half rings to make one ring?
I cannot locate the parts where they are joined though. Can the finish be thick enough to hide them?
Yes, and how well you hide the seem depends on how accurate you can machine the half's. A complicated ring pattern adds another level of complexity.

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
If the two halves are cut at an angle, you will be hard pressed to find the seam even with a loupe. The woods used can also determine the level of being hidden.
Ebony....you'll never find the seam unless you get into a very high power magnification and spend a long time looking. But at what end means?
Lighter colored woods may be a bit easier to spot but still, who cares?
The mark of a master craftsperson is how well they hide any mistakes or items not meant to be seen with the naked eye.

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Would that not simply be a well done inlay? some people do that very very well. Seems plausible to me.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Would that not simply be a well done inlay? some people do that very very well. Seems plausible to me.
Think snap-on ring. Split in half, placed on the groove , inlay the two gaps . If it's black or white, easier to hide w/no inlay.

It skid

When I built this extension I goofed and forgot one black and one white rings right next to the burl so it didn't match the cue. I installed them at both ends of the burl after the extension was glued up without cutting the extension in half.

194311585_3247742352124493_4811362529597524400_n.jpg
Thanks, a picture does say more than words.