If you were looking to sell a Balabushka how would you go about it?

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You probably will get some PMs of interest just from what you posted here. However, if you want to put it out to the general public first I think you should have a letter from Pete Tascarella describing and authenticating the cue. You would post that letter along with your photos of the cue and any known history of the cue on this site in the For Sale section. While you get all that together, you should be doing your homework on asking price if you don't already have that in mind. Once listed you would obviously evaluate offers and terms to select the most qualified buyer that satisfies your sales goal.

At least that is how I would go about it.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would post top notch pics with as much detailed information as reasonable. Then I would not set a price but get any inquiries from anyone interested thru email or pm's here at AZ. Then consider an escrow service and only ship FedEx. As far as payment goes that is an answer best given by any cue dealers here on AZ. Lots of pitfalls with money scams, that is the reason I only sell in person for cash...

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would post top notch pics with as much detailed information as reasonable. Then I would not set a price but get any inquiries from anyone interested thru email or pm's here at AZ. Then consider an escrow service and only ship FedEx. As far as payment goes that is an answer best given by any cue dealers here on AZ. Lots of pitfalls with money scams, that is the reason I only sell in person for cash...
smart move.

MJB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was a guy on AZB recently wanting to sell a beautiful all original Balabushka. He sent the cue to Pete for inspection/authentication, and Pete also acted as escrow for the subsequent sale (probably for a fee). Pete is also old school and doesn't mess around with online payments, so I'd imagine the cue didn't leave his hands until all funds were cleared.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Selling valuable items in person for cash can be THE MOST dangerous way to sell or buy an item. Many people, and I mean many- have lost more than their money or item doing in person cash deals with people you don't know.

if you are going to do that for something worth $5K, $10K, or more - one had better have several protection scenarios figured out upfront! Don't go alone, daytime, very, very public place where you are in familiar surroundings, buyer must appear ALONE, etc. etc.

I had a personal experience ( billiard related) with an attempted in person swindle on myself - I did not fall for it - I would probably prefer legitimate pay pal ( not F&F) with me shipping FED EX - Insured - Signature Required- than anything else.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
post the true lowest price you will accept. then say in the ad firm, no exceptions. weeds out the offer crap and back and forth with those not going to buy anyway..

middleofnowhere

Registered
Does it have George Balabuskas signature on the forearm?
No. I used to play with it. I have the letter from Pete Tascarella on that cue. The other I know it's origin but never sent it to Pete Tascarella. Szamboti did make me two shafts for it and verified the cue. It is a Spain blank.

The other cue is a titlest and Pete Tascarella said it was one of the earliest he had seen. I had two other Balabushka and went to the BCA show and sold them on two different occasions.

This was years ago but I will tell you, as soon as I had the cash I left town. That was why I went there. I sold it for $8500. And people saw the sale.

I should have been more descreat about but Billy Stroud helped me with the sale and he was showing it around to buyers he knew. I got nervous, you can't walk around with that kind of money in your pocket in a strange place when people know it.

I have been wanting to sell these cues for a few years but it not easy. I think I will call Pete Tascarella and send him the one cue so there is less problems.

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No. I used to play with it. I have the letter from Pete Tascarella on that cue. The other I know it's origin but never sent it to Pete Tascarella. Szamboti did make me two shafts for it and verified the cue. It is a Spain blank.

The other cue is a titlest and Pete Tascarella said it was one of the earliest he had seen. I had two other Balabushka and went to the BCA show and sold them on two different occasions.

This was years ago but I will tell you, as soon as I had the cash I left town. That was why I went there. I sold it for $8500. And people saw the sale.

I should have been more descreat about but Billy Stroud helped me with the sale and he was showing it around to buyers he knew. I got nervous, you can't walk around with that kind of money in your pocket in a strange place when people know it.

I have been wanting to sell these cues for a few years but it not easy. I think I will call Pete Tascarella and send him the one cue so there is less problems.
I'd say the same place you sold your previous cues would be a good place to start. I'm sure you are aware of the for sale items forum. That might get your cue some attention.

How did you acquire four Balabushka cues?

middleofnowhere

Registered
I'd say the same place you sold your previous cues would be a good place to start. I'm sure you are aware of the for sale items forum. That might get your cue some attention.

I've had them about 45 years. One used to be my playing cue. The other I traded a Szamboti for plus a few hundred. Funny in a short time I think the Szamboti was worth more then the Balabushka.

You have to remember there was a time when Balabushka were not really a big deal. I have owned maybe a dozen over the years. The cue I mentioned I sold for $8500. I bought that cue for $500.00.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I would put it on ebay. Sure there are fees, but less than traditional auctions.

You will have a world wide audience and generate a ton of buzz. Auction fever can bring crazy high bids.

middleofnowhere

Registered

The other two I sold one were handled by Bill Stroud and the other by Burton Spain. Spain was like a god. Once he was representing the cue they were fighting for it.
Everybody I used to know are gone. Stroud had collectors who wanted first refusel if he found anything interesting. If Bill was still alive I could just call him and it would be sold.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 7 all with Spain blanks. Never thought about selling them, not opposed to it either. Good question.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Selling valuable items in person for cash can be THE MOST dangerous way to sell or buy an item. Many people, and I mean many- have lost more than their money or item doing in person cash deals with people you don't know.

if you are going to do that for something worth $5K, $10K, or more - one had better have several protection scenarios figured out upfront! Don't go alone, daytime, very, very public place where you are in familiar surroundings, buyer must appear ALONE, etc. etc.

I had a personal experience ( billiard related) with an attempted in person swindle on myself - I did not fall for it - I would probably prefer legitimate pay pal ( not F&F) with me shipping FED EX - Insured - Signature Required- than anything else.
Good point! With an item of that value I would contact my local police department and find out if they allowed that meeting to take place in their facility. My experience selling has been limited to people I actually know. It takes serious vigilance to outsmart criminals...Good thread with may good reccomendations!!!

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good point! With an item of that value U would contact my local police department and find out if they allowed that meeting to take place in their facility. My experience selling has been limited to people I actually know. It takes serious vigilance to outsmart criminals...Good thread with may good reccomendations!!!
For an exchange of significant cash I would highly recommend this and an honest buyer or seller would not object.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing to add to all the above, but I'd like to say that this is an excellent thread -- long overdue, with *very* sensible precautionary tips that can be generalized about selling valuable collectibles and merchandise of just about any kind.

Especially important for "innocents" (potential victims) in today's times.

Congrats and thanks to the OP.

Arnaldo

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The other two I sold one were handled by Bill Stroud and the other by Burton Spain. Spain was like a god. Once he was representing the cue they were fighting for it.
Everybody I used to know are gone. Stroud had collectors who wanted first refusel if he found anything interesting. If Bill was still alive I could just call him and it would be sold.
Does Pete Tascarella ever go to any of those events? He might be able to help you sell them. Speaking of Stroud you don't happen to have a cue of his do you? I'm interested in a JW wrapless but they are hard to find.