Centennials after cleaning with Dawn?

whiteoak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I unfortunately washed my 18 yr old Brunswick Centennials in warm water and Dawn before realizing it was a mistake. I have used the Aramith ball cleaner and restorer but they still seem to get really dirty almost instantly(table is cleaned weekly). Are they pretty much ruined or is there any other option to restore a finish on them? Thanks,Mike S

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I unfortunately washed my 18 yr old Brunswick Centennials in warm water and Dawn before realizing it was a mistake. I have used the Aramith ball cleaner and restorer but they still seem to get really dirty almost instantly(table is cleaned weekly). Are they pretty much ruined or is there any other option to restore a finish on them? Thanks,Mike S
Dawn doesn't ruin them for good. If you're using both Aramith products you should be good-2-go. You might try Novus #1 also: https://www.amazon.com/NOVUS-PC-10-...+polish&qid=1599675195&sr=8-5&tag=googhydr-20 Clean them first with de-natured alcohol(if they have a lot of smudges/black pocket marks) and then the Novus with a microfiber cloth.

Last edited:

Charles Hartfield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did the same thing to some centennials. It will take some elbow grease but they are not ruined. I used the aramith restorer and cleaner four straight times (used restorer, cleaner and polished) and they came back to looking like new. It was a tough lesson to learn.

L.S. Dennis

Just wondering, what are the best ‘normal products around the house’ to clean Aramith pool balls. I’ve used Turtle Wax liquid and Turtle Wax polishing compound with some success. Any other ideas? .

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another friend highly recommends this stuff: http://www.brillianize.com/index.html He works at Bizjet and they use it on aircraft windows. He uses it on his Harley windscreen and pool balls at home. His old Centennials(15yrs+) look like new using this stuff.
I must add that this stuff does have silicone in it. From what i can see they don't feel/play any different than using the Aramith stuff. Just thought i'd add this if you're silicone-averse.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wondering, what are the best ‘normal products around the house’ to clean Aramith pool balls. I’ve used Turtle Wax liquid and Turtle Wax polishing compound with some success. Any other ideas? .
Just buy the appropriate product...there are many opinions about what works and why it works, but the best product for cleaning pool balls is pool ball cleaner.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I must add that this stuff does have silicone in it. From what i can see they don't feel/play any different than using the Aramith stuff. Just thought i'd add this if you're silicone-averse.
Feel/ play different means nothing, without considerationn as to WHEN the differences are compared.

As the good Dr. researched, proved and shared, there is a great change in play characteristics that occurrs as you play with her balls. Aramith showed the least change over time.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just buy the appropriate product...there are many opinions about what works and why it works, but the best product for cleaning pool balls is pool ball cleaner.
This^^^. Household cleaners were not and are not designed to be used on phenolic resign that is used in playing pool. Not even automotive products. I don't understand how people pay $300-$400 on a set of premium balls then use harsh dishwashing detergent on them. If you are spending top dollar for a set of balls, go the extra mile and invest $20 in a product designed to clean and protect your investment. I'd go further and recommend a proper machine to clean them in; one of the few on the market or the DIY unit.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I can certainly tell the difference between a cue ball with silicone wax and one with just Aramith ball cleaner, if it makes a difference on the cue ball it will make a difference on the object ball. Don't a lot of the trick shot artists use a waxed cue ball??

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can certainly tell the difference between a cue ball with silicone wax and one with just Aramith ball cleaner, if it makes a difference on the cue ball it will make a difference on the object ball. Don't a lot of the trick shot artists use a waxed cue ball??
I think the amount of silicone used would be the determining factor. IMO a little bit of the stuff will not hurt anything. BTW, don't the Aramith products contain waxes? I thought that was supposed to be no-no also.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Maybe you can find someone with a ball polisher and barter (beg, blackmail, extort, etc.) with them to have them run them thru their machine. I ran a buddies horrible looking pool balls thru my Diamond polisher, it looked liked someone was playing pool on the sidewalk with them, we didn't think it would make much difference, they came out amazing.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This^^^. Household cleaners were not and are not designed to be used on phenolic resign that is used in playing pool. Not even automotive products. I don't understand how people pay $300-$400 on a set of premium balls then use harsh dishwashing detergent on them. If you are spending top dollar for a set of balls, go the extra mile and invest $20 in a product designed to clean and protect your investment. I'd go further and recommend a proper machine to clean them in; one of the few on the market or the DIY unit.
And how long does a container of $20 aramith polisher last...?

I am nearly done with mine and had it for about 15 yr. I polish my balls after approx 6-10 hrs of play and used a machine.

I'll be buying aramith again.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And how long does a container of $20 aramith polisher last...?

I am nearly done with mine and had it for about 15 yr. I polish my balls after approx 6-10 hrs of play and used a machine.

I'll be buying aramith again.
Exactly! A little goes a long way. I prefer the Tiger ball cleaning solution. I buy the gallon size and use it in an empited bottle of automotive quick detailer. One mist while they are spinning in my DIY ball polisher does the trick.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly! A little goes a long way. I prefer the Tiger ball cleaning solution. I buy the gallon size and use it in an empited bottle of automotive quick detialer. One mist while they are spinning in my DIY ball polisher does the trick.
Immma look into the tiger stuff for sure. I'd love to support them.

I do 2 drops on first spinning 8 balls, then 1 drop on the subsequent 8.

whiteoak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rexus31,I can only plead ignorance.I'd been away from the game for 16 yrs and just cleaned them without doing my research. Also grazer is correct; *$%@# happens.Thanks for all the replies and help. Have a great 4th everyone !!!!!

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use liquid soap, cold water and a paper towel to get the chalk off the cue ball. I rarely wash the object balls but I do keep a paper towel in two pockets on my table and I wipe down whatever balls drop in those pockets after each rack which works fine.