Ideas that haven't saved pool

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Instead of trying to save pool, how about using an elimination process to help new investors avoid money traps.

I am not old enough to speak out or discuss what hasnt worked. can someone share?

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
What we need to do, is find all the things that haven't saved pool, then pose as a marketing firm and make all the other sports do them.

Why stop at sports? We'll sabotage all other forms of entertainment.

That way, only pool will be left, and people will have to watch it on TV.

justnum

Silver Member
What we need to do, is find all the things that haven't saved pool, then pose as a marketing firm and make all the other sports do them.

Why stop at sports? We'll sabotage all other forms of entertainment.

That way, only pool will be left, and people will have to watch it on TV.

I see a lot more people posting videos of playing pool.

Basketball, soccer, golf, track very few videos.

Pool is trending, but people might not know how to keep it fresh.

Every posting the same trickshots means it will get dull fast.

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
As I recall, Robert Byrne had the idea of incorporating coin tubes in trick shots, and came up with several new shots using them.

Maybe you need to find a new prop that will enable new and exciting trick shots.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Instead of trying to save pool, how about using an elimination process to help new investors avoid money traps.

I am not old enough to speak out or discuss what hasnt worked. can someone share?
How about a strict dress code. No hats. No flip flops. No shirts without collars. No baggy shorts. The people that post videos on-line look like thugs or ex-cons the way they dress. Josh Filler and his wife are the exception to the rule but everyone they play in Roy’s Basement look like they are homeless at best. Clean up the image.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'll offer two ideas that didn't work, one from men's pool and one from women's pool, and both in the late 1990s.

Men's Pro Pool: The Camel Tour
In the late 1990's, RJ Reynolds got involved with pool as a means of promoting their primary brand of Cigarettes called "Camel" to pool players and fans, who, as a group, consumed more than their fair share of cigarettes. Only the old timers among us will remember some of the more interesting ways that Camel tried to use the pro pool scene to promote their brand:

1) The giant glass ball above the table that had the table number on it also had a picture of a camel.
2) The felt used in Camel Tour events was camel-colored, meaning a very light brown
3) Camel would set up a booth in which you could trade in a pack of the cigarettes you preferred for two packs of Camel cigarettes

In the end, these ideas didn't stimulate much demand for their product and RJ Reynolds pulled the plug.

Women's Pro Pool - The Gordon's Events
Gordon's, a major manufacturer of gin and vodka, got involved with the WPBA in the late 1990's. On the surface, it made some sense as pool players tend to drink more than most. Their events were known as Gordon's events. One thing I remember in particular was that if one of the players made the nine on the break, the first fan to yell out "Gordon's" won something (I can't remember what as I never won). The plan never gained much traction and Gordon's didn't last long on the pool scene.

Hence, what hasn't worked is using pool to sell cigarettes and alcohol.

Last edited:

middleofnowhere

Registered
I'll offer two ideas that didn't work, one from men's pool and one from women's pool, and both in the late 1990s.

Men's Pro Pool: The Camel Tour
In the late 1990's, RJ Reynolds got involved with pool as a means of promoting their primary brand of Cigarettes called "Camel" to pool players and fans, who, as a group, consumed more than their fair share of cigarettes. Only the old timers among us will remember some of the more interesting ways that Camel tried to use the pro pool scene to promote their brand:

1) The giant glass ball above the table that had the table number on it also had a picture of a camel.
2) The felt used in Camel Tour events was camel-colored, meaning a very light brown
3) Camel would set up a booth in which you could trade in a pack of the cigarettes you preferred for two packs of Camel cigarettes

In the end, these ideas didn't stimulate much demand for their product and RJ Reynolds pulled the plug.

Women's Pro Pool - The Gordon's Events
Gordon's, a major manufacturer of gin and vodka, got involved with the WPBA in the late 1990's. On the surface, it made some sense as pool players tend to drink more than most. Their events were know as Gordon's events. One thing I remember in particular was that if one of the players made the nine on the break, the first fan to yell out "Gordon's" won something (I can't remember what as I never won). The plan never gained much traction and Gordon's didn't last long on the pool scene.

Hence, what hasn't worked is using pool to sell cigarettes and alcohol.
They were a Cluster f++k. I only played on one. During the final they had to move all the spectators to one bleacher in front of the camara so it would look like people were there.

By the way, they were mostly people involved with the tournament. Almost no paid spectator's. No local media, not even a mention in the local paper. It was a tournament in a vacuum.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.

We could make pool a death match sport. The loser gets his head chopped off. Imagine how strong the field would be after a few years!

justnum

Silver Member
We could make pool a death match sport. The loser gets his head chopped off. Imagine how strong the field would be after a few years!

I feel that way about if pool had an adult comic series.

There are so many moments of emotion during a pool match that a visual medium is needed.

Imagine an animated series with all the pool greats animated with todays pool greats.
It would have voices, impersonations, period pieces and a great way to introduce world cultures.

Yes the violence will be part of it, in the over the top way.

Its basically ninja turtles but for pool players.

L.S. Dennis

It’s a strange thing, the art of propelling a round sphere into a round hole. Media wise it works well for basketball and golf but for pool even with its attractive and colorful balls it just dosen’t seem to catch on.

One good thing about other sports is that people know the players and the rivalries who ever heard anything in modern age about pool players? The closest it’s come in modern day play was Earl and Efren but even there few outside the pool community knew anything about them.

In the days of yore, Greanleaf got as much newspaper space as did Babe Ruth,,

boogieman

I feel that way about if pool had an adult comic series.

There are so many moments of emotion during a pool match that a visual medium is needed.

Imagine an animated series with all the pool greats animated with todays pool greats.
It would have voices, impersonations, period pieces and a great way to introduce world cultures.

Yes the violence will be part of it, in the over the top way.

Its basically ninja turtles but for pool players.
I agree. Check this out if you haven't:

realkingcobra

Silver Member

How about instead of all the things that hasn't worked, instead, turn your attention to how would a sponsor get an increase in sales that generates a profit, BECAUSE of sponsoring pool.

That's the real questions that need answered!

boogieman

How about instead of all the things that hasn't worked, instead, turn your attention to how would a sponsor get an increase in sales that generates a profit, BECAUSE of sponsoring pool.

Maybe shoes? I know it sounds dumb, but the announcers could sell it. You stand on your feet on concrete all day, Brand X shoes or boots keep your feet feeling good. You preform better without sore feet, so buy Brand X today.

Wolfe Eye Clinic? You have to see in pool and it's something pool players care about.

Multivitamins/supplements, peak condition for playing and thinking?

It's a pretty hard sell for things not directly relating to pool equipment.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Maybe shoes? I know it sounds dumb, but the announcers could sell it. You stand on your feet on concrete all day, Brand X shoes or boots keep your feet feeling good. You preform better without sore feet, so buy Brand X today.

Wolfe Eye Clinic? You have to see in pool and it's something pool players care about.

Multivitamins/supplements, peak condition for playing and thinking?

It's a pretty hard sell for things not directly relating to pool equipment.
And how so they get a ROI from their sponsorship dollars, by mentioning their name?

justnum

Silver Member

My bad I didn't want all the failed investors and previous sponsors to have investment remorse.

Good point. I will re work the thread concept when its ready.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

Why don’t you become business consultant, guaranteed your fee is free if you can not turn business into profitable.

Do reality show, Pool Room Rescue.🤫

Reactions: Pin