Ideas that haven't saved pool

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Pool is not like other Profession Sports, poor pool player never make much money compaired to say PGA, NFL, NBA, or other Pro Athletes.

If some one loves pool do it for Rereactional, and learn to play another sport. Most PGA Pro do real well. Finish in top 25 on a weekend, walk away with big bucks.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Pool is not like other Profession Sports, poor pool player never make much money compaired to say PGA, NFL, NBA, or other Pro Athletes.

If some one loves pool do it for Rereactional, and learn to play another sport. Most PGA Pro do real well. Finish in top 25 on a weekend, walk away with big bucks.
So are you saying pool can't be organized world wide, and be a marketable sport for sponsors and viewers alike?

middleofnowhere

Registered
Tavern pool is probably where a vast majority of pool is played. Compaired to poolroom players there are way more tavern players then pool room players.

Not to mention, tavern players do frequent poolroom as well. The thing is the game they play, they play is 8 ball. All tournament pool is 9 ball and to a lesser extent 10 ball.

Maybe you could pull a larger viewership with 8 ball a game most all Americans identify with.

I bet a majority of the dollars spent in the pool industry is spent by tavern players, cues and so on. Forget the pros, you may be looking in the wrong place to grow the sport. Seems like it has a pretty good root system.

Be nice if pros could make a living playing pool, but the sport/game is not dependent on the pro at all.

Tavern pool and the small neighborhood pool room, "IS" pool. I can take you to small pool rooms all over the country that have been in business for decades, fostering generations of new and life long players.

Bottom line, at least to me, pros may be starving but the sport is pretty healthy and not in the terrible state the OP. paints it.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Tavern pool is probably where a vast majority of pool is played. Compaired to poolroom players there are way more tavern players then pool room players.

Not to mention, tavern players do frequent poolroom as well. The thing is the game they play, they play is 8 ball. All tournament pool is 9 ball and to a lesser extent 10 ball.

Maybe you could pull a larger viewership with 8 ball a game most all Americans identify with.

I bet a majority of the dollars spent in the pool industry is spent by tavern players, cues and so on. Forget the pros, you may be looking in the wrong place to grow the sport. Seems like it has a pretty good root system.

Be nice if pros could make a living playing pool, but the sport/game is not dependent on the pro at all.

Tavern pool and the small neighborhood pool room, "IS" pool. I can take you to small pool rooms all over the country that have been in business for decades, fostering generations of new and life long players.

Bottom line, at least to me, pros may be starving but the sport is pretty healthy and not in the terrible state the OP. paints it.
You know what the great thing about getting outside of that cardboard box is, you can see its a big world out there, NOT confined by the sides of the box blocking your vision!!

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Justnum's only contribution to pool is forcing pool shooters to finally look for the ignore button.

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn’t realize that pool needed saving…
Do you think this forum is a microcosm of pool in general or an exception?

If you’re a young millennial or Gen Z’er and you log into this forum how do the think they’d feel seeing 4 out of 5 of the “New Posts” are basically politics. I couldn’t fit it all into one screen grab but how many “new posts” out of the first 50 or 100 are politics? Wanna take a guess?

I took a screen shot right now.

I don’t think they’d be inclined to stick around.

1625341256737.png

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you’re a young millennial or Gen Z’er and you log into this forum how do the think they’d feel seeing 4 out of 5 of the “New Posts” are basically politics. I couldn’t fit it all into one screen grab but how many “new posts” out of the first 50 or 100 are politics? Wanna take a guess?

View attachment 600843

What does that have to do with whether or not “pool needs saving”?

Regardless though, beyond a very small minority, the average pool player doesn’t even know this place exists.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
What does that have to do with whether or not “pool needs saving”?

Regardless though, beyond a very small minority, the average pool player doesn’t even know this place exists.
They'll visit the most phone friendly site, good or not. (y)

middleofnowhere

Registered

View attachment 600843
That's the case on every forum regardless the subject that has a non related section.
I would not read anything into it.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Wrong way of looking at it. Ask not what a sponsor can do for pool, but rather what can pool do for a sponsor worldwide, that's the real question.

If pool can make a sponsor a great ROI on their "already scheduled to be spent advertising dollars" then in return, the sponsor will use pool, to promote those advertising dollars to generate the returns they're looking for, and the byproduct of that becomes the sponsorship dollars!!! The advertisers don't care if they're sponsoring go-cart racing, or cow pie throwing competition, if that equates to sales for them!!! Think about it!!! The sport is irregardless, the ROI is the focus of the advertisers!!!

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
The few times I did travel nationally to watch a major pool event I wish there were better food selections.

I am from a city and its easy to find catering or food trucks willing to make the drive.

Quality food can make a big difference in other industries.