John Schmidt's and Corey Deuel's comments on aiming systems

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Seen Landon line up the contact point to the pocket on an open table .
Let's cut the BS , a world class player can look at that contact point on cut shots and hit it without ANY SYSTEM .
Seen many pros point to the contact point on combination shots .
How many do you see bend over and line up the ball to the pocket ?

Hell, Efren seldom looks from the ob to the pocket. He just stands behind the cb, sees where it needs to be to pocket the ball, and then sends it there.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Hell, Efren seldom looks from the ob to the pocket. He just stands behind the cb, sees where it needs to be to pocket the ball, and then sends it there.
He does on backwards cut. Seen him do many times playing one hole at Hard Times.
Efren uses a "ghost pocket" system.
He visualizes the true center of the pocket some 6 inches from the OB, no matter how far the pocket is .

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
He does on backwards cut. Seen him do many times playing one hole at Hard Times.
He visualizes the true center of the pocket some 6 inches from the OB, no matter how far the pocket it .
I do the same but envision the pocket 3ft beyond the table. Helps with accuracy :sneaky:

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's what I always thought as well... If aiming systems made the game so much simpler than there should be a ton more top teir pros touting systems. Of course the natural defence is the players stroke ability holding them back, and of course the pros holding their system choices close to their chests so they don't have to worry about the competition getting their edge...lol

Everyone considering a system would most likely be far better served focusing on their fundamentals for a little while longer. As it seems that the only thing preventing system users from taking over professional pool is their stroke.
Of course, having the wrong aim line won’t help the best stroke.
Conversely knowing the aim line then failing to send the tip on it through contact, because of mechanical faults, is also a formula for failure.
Everything is interconnected and co-dependent.
Controlling two balls starts with a reference line, but positional needs will modify that line based on what part of the ball needs to be contacted, at what speed, turns the game into a complementary mind/body coordinated effort.
Our tendency to break stuff down into parts loses the whole of what we need to do.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He visualizes the true center of the pocket some 6 inches from the OB, no matter how far the pocket is .
How do you know? Efren said that for you?

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seen Landon line up the contact point to the pocket on an open table .
Let's cut the BS , a world class player can look at that contact point on cut shots and hit it without ANY SYSTEM .
Seen many pros point to the contact point on combination shots .
How many do you see bend over and line up the ball to the pocket ?
It does not mean that people are watching contact point if they see what line object ball is going to pocket. I do it almost every shot and not watch any contact points..

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Are John and Corey the authority on aiming systems? I mean which professional player should we be listening to and why? What happens if pro players of similar stature don't agree? Who is right?

By the way John Schmidt later said that he thinks that CTE is a valid way to aim. What happens when a pro says something one year and changes their mind the next?

"There is no magic pill" - Niels Feijen on aiming. I fully agree with Niels. There are, however, much better aiming methods than ghost ball out there. None of them magic, many of them very objective and accurate.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
whoa.... sry no disrepect intended with 'holy land'. I was merely trying to figure out a way to comment on where he travelled without using actual names and locations. I didn't consider that holy land might be thought of as a slight. I considered 'birth place' but thought that wouldn't be accurate at all.

Again, my apologies
How about went to Stan several times? That works. There are many players who have been there, pros and amateurs alike. Many are not public people they just seek knowledge that can help them play better. It has been my experience this past decade that I have not met even one person who says that they were unhappy with the experience after taking lessons with Stan.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
You wanna’ bet that every so often Stan and Landon revert to traditional aiming on shots. I’ll bet you $100 to a hole in a donut they do.
I would ALMOST bet that they don't but the overriding point for me is that THEY CAN whenever they want to. Someone who does not have an objective aiming system in the tool box CAN NOT do anything but aim by feel or ghostball or whatever you are defining as traditional aiming.

I have said this many times. Ghostball is ALWAYS going to be available to me, feel is always available to me. I don't throw those methods away just because I have a tool that works better in most situations.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Wait, you mean they can't just "unsee" the shot picture they have seen thousands of times then go with the pivoting franchise system ?
Yep, CTE users have different "shot pictures".... Correct ones. I feel bad for you that you will likely never experience it. I think you don't even like pool really.

How would you ever know what shots any given person has seen anyway? Sometimes you need to think a little deeper Joey and understand that it's extremely unlikely that any amateur has shot any particular shot hundreds much less thousands of times. And you have no idea what anyone's make percentage is on the breadth of shots they have taken.

CTE literally allows the user to get in the correct shot line for shots they have never taken. It can't be explained to you how this feels. When you don't know you really don't know.

You argue against CTE from an abstract perspective based on your imagination and cte users argue from experience. The joy a cte user feels making sick shots that they were previously scared of or wouldn't have even tried is pretty much forever out of your reach.

You might make one occasionally but it's doubtful you can repeat it consistently whereas a cte user can repeat it consistently. I really wish that you could experience it but I am pretty sure that you have invested so much of your life trying to knock it that you couldn't ever bring yourself to learn cte.

So while you knock, cte aimers rock. We are out making shots and enjoying pool while you spend time knocking something you really don't understand. And to be clear, you don't understand it, at all.

(Yes Pat I know you are going to chirp with your go-to claim that cte users don't understand what they are doing either, but we most certainly do and more importantly we enjoy pool much more by being able to precisely aim.)

canwin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, CTE users have different "shot pictures".... Correct ones. I feel bad for you that you will likely never experience it. I think you don't even like pool really.

How would you ever know what shots any given person has seen anyway? Sometimes you need to think a little deeper Joey and understand that it's extremely unlikely that any amateur has shot any particular shot hundreds much less thousands of times. And you have no idea what anyone's make percentage is on the breadth of shots they have taken.

CTE literally allows the user to get in the correct shot line for shots they have never taken. It can't be explained to you how this feels. When you don't know you really don't know.

You argue against CTE from an abstract perspective based on your imagination and cte users argue from experience. The joy a cte user feels making sick shots that they were previously scared of or wouldn't have even tried is pretty much forever out of your reach.

You might make one occasionally but it's doubtful you can repeat it consistently whereas a cte user can repeat it consistently. I really wish that you could experience it but I am pretty sure that you have invested so much of your life trying to knock it that you couldn't ever bring yourself to learn cte.

So while you knock, cte aimers rock. We are out making shots and enjoying pool while you spend time knocking something you really don't understand. And to be clear, you don't understand it, at all.

(Yes Pat I know you are going to chirp with your go-to claim that cte users don't understand what they are doing either, but we most certainly do and more importantly we enjoy pool much more by being able to precisely aim.)
JBNC , you are like a fly buzzing around explaining why shit is better than honey to whoever..no offense but your shit is old