Thorsten's Party at Amsterdam Billiards

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
For two reasons, Amsterdam Billiards in New York City threw a party tonight (July 14) to honor Thorsten Hohmann. First and foremost, it was a celebration of his election to the BCA Hall of Fame, but it was also Thorsten's 42nd birthday. I was lucky enough to be invited.

I knew most of the attendees and it was nice to catch up with so many good friends. Most noteworthy among the attendees were Mike Yednak, Hunter Lombardo, Jennifer Barretta, and Jonathan Smith, all mainstays of the New York pro pool scene, and each of whom I've known for many years.

Amsterdam proprietor Greg Hunt, who opened with a suggestion that he might struggle to find the right words, spoke with eloquence about Thorsten and his place in the Amsterdam Billiards family and in the broader pool scene. Thorsten then spoke briefly with humility as about twenty attendees listened in, and he invited everyone there to attend his BCA HOF induction, which will occur during the International 9-ball event in late October,

Thanks to all at Amsterdam Billiards for a memorable evening. As usual, Amsterdam set the bar very high and all of us who call it home had a grand old time.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
For two reasons, Amsterdam Billiards in New York City threw a party tonight (July 14) to honor Thorsten Hohmann. First and foremost, it was a celebration of his election to the BCA Hall of Fame, but it was also Thorsten's 42nd birthday. I was lucky enough to be invited.

I knew most of the attendees and it was nice to catch up with so many good friends. Most noteworthy among the attendees were Mike Yednak, Hunter Lombardo, Jennifer Barretta, and Jonathan Smith, all mainstays of the New York pro pool scene, and each of whom I've known for many years.

Amsterdam proprietor Greg Hunt, who opened with a suggestion that he might struggle to find the right words, spoke with eloquence about Thorsten and his place in the Amsterdam Billiards family and in the broader pool scene. Thorsten then spoke briefly with humility as about twenty attendees listened in, and he invited everyone there to attend his BCA HOF induction, which will occur during the International 9-ball event in late October,

Thanks to all at Amsterdam Billiards for a memorable evening. As usual, Amsterdam set the bar very high and all of us who call it home had a grand old time.
Wow, how amazing that must have been to be a part of this event. Getting together to celebrate Thorsten’s amazing accomplishments with so many friends is something to always remember. As far as being “lucky” to be invited, not so much. Anyone who knows who you are and what you have brought to the world of pool must recognize that you belonged there.

Congratulations to Thorsten for being voted in.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
One thing I failed to share was that Thorsten, at one point, mentioned to me that straight pool legend Pete Margo had just texted him a message of congratulations on his election to the BCA HOF.

It took me back to the day they met, for it was yours truly that introduced them about fifteen years ago at the party that opened Amsterdam Billiards at its new location in downtown New York City. I had no idea that they had remained on each other's radar for all these years, but was very pleased to learn of it.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Never have been to Amsterdam, probably never will. But it's sure nice to read some happy news on the net. Thanks for posting this..

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let’s not forget that David Brenner had a lot to do with opening Amsterdam in the late 80’s.

RIP David…….your comedy is remembered fondly and Amsterdam pool hall is still operating.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Toasty is one of those stand up men, that represents a true professional is his actions on and off the court.
I was pleased with this choice of man, who's character and game are on even par.
Congrats young man, you truly represent our game in a manner that makes our sport, and other players a little better as time moves on.
I compare his game/character to the best who represent the PGA, he must of had great upbringing.

Last edited:

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let’s not forget that David Brenner had a lot to do with opening Amsterdam in the late 80’s.

RIP David…….your comedy is remembered fondly and Amsterdam pool hall is still operating.
What a great story teller he was. It's a lost art now.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Yes, David was a silent partner in the business. He was a blood relative (uncle, I think) of the Hunt brothers, who ran the day to day operations when Amsterdam opened. David was not just a stand up comedian but a stand up guy. I met him a few times.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Toasty is one of those stand up men, that represents a true professional is his actions on and off the court.
I was pleased with this choice of man, who's character and game are on even par.
Congrats young man, you truly represent our game in a manner that makes our sport, and other players a little better as time moves on.
I compare his game/character to the best who represent the PGA, he must of had great upbringing.
Well said. Thorsten is a role model for all who aspire to a career in pro pool. The German players in pool, over the years, have really conducted themselves with great dignity and, in that regard, Thorsten has followed in the giant footsteps of Ortmann and Souquet.