Is Schmidt's and charlie 626 Legit

Status
Not open for further replies.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
87E12E4E-30C6-4B98-A61F-5408B3D6185F.png

gerryf

JS posted on facebook he will not participate with his free entry into any events this year.

Sounds like he makes more from giving lessons. Thats a career choice I relate to highly.
So you misreported what he said, and made assumptions on his behalf.

You won't be taken seriously until you learn to not do that.

gerryf

Oh, Great Swami of azb, how dutiful of you to be so kind to your new subjects, even tho they may step out of line, every now and again.
Be sure to check to see if you’ve been granted the authority to bestow upon others, that which you do not have control of.
His head has swollen so from accolades that he can’t even get into a pool venue until it recedes some.
People come to him, and throw money to him, not the other way around in his kingdom.
No others have gotten near him 2-1/2 years now.
Danny! You're back!!

Your spelling is better today, and you got the punctuation almost completely right!

Good for you!

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
JS posted on facebook he will not participate with his free entry into any events this year.

Sounds like he makes more from giving lessons. Thats a career choice I relate to highly.
That isn't even remotely what he said. Have someone over 12 read it to you slowly.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
lol.

Lou Figueroa
Yeah, that's right, The WPA holds the record book for WPA sanctioned events. If I want to hold an event and call it the LucyAss 14.1 World Championships then the winner will be a "world champion" but will not be in the WPA record books for that accomplishment.

Now, that said, IF the winner of the LucyAss 14.1 World Championships faced all the same top contenders that he had faced in WPA sanctioned World Championships and the format was the same then any rational person would consider the accomplishment to be on par with WPA World Championship.

Are you going to now state that John Schmidt did not face that world class level of competition when he won his world championship?

I have to say that for someone who claims that they are "good" with John Schmidt you sure are going out of your way to knock him. I wonder what you would do to someone that you don't like? I already know the answer to that one and for sure your answer won't be the same as mine.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Are you going to now state that John Schmidt did not face that world class level of competition when he won his world championship? ...
John won the Dragon event in 2012.

In the round-robin stage he went 5-0, but only one other player in his group (Stephan Cohen) was a top-level player.

In the double-elimination stage, he got a bye, then lost to Max Eberle, then defeated Dennis Spears to get to the final 16.

In the final 16 (single elimination) he defeated Eberle, Hohmann, Eckert, and Reyes.

So Schmidt went 10-1 with wins over 5 really good players.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In the round-robin stage he went 5-0, but only one other player in his group (Stephan Cohen) was a top-level player.

In the double-elimination stage, he got a bye, then lost to Max Eberle, then defeated Dennis Spears to get to the final 16.

In the final 16 (single elimination) he defeated Eberle, Hohmann, Eckert, and Reyes.

Can you please indulge us with one more path to a win? Go ahead and fill us. Put it on our tab.

Would you be so kind as to tell us about any other major tournament winner's matches en route to the win?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, that's right, The WPA holds the record book for WPA sanctioned events. If I want to hold an event and call it the LucyAss 14.1 World Championships then the winner will be a "world champion" but will not be in the WPA record books for that accomplishment.

Now, that said, IF the winner of the LucyAss 14.1 World Championships faced all the same top contenders that he had faced in WPA sanctioned World Championships and the format was the same then any rational person would consider the accomplishment to be on par with WPA World Championship.

Are you going to now state that John Schmidt did not face that world class level of competition when he won his world championship?

I have to say that for someone who claims that they are "good" with John Schmidt you sure are going out of your way to knock him. I wonder what you would do to someone that you don't like? I already know the answer to that one and for sure your answer won't be the same as mine.

Some really good players but certainly not a world class field.

Of course he did beat your coach, Dennis Spears, but DS's 14.1 credentials are shaky at best. I'm told he knows a lot about 1pocket and freely shares that knowledge.

Lou Figueroa

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Can you please indulge us with one more path to a win? Go ahead and fill us. Put it on our tab.

Would you be so kind as to tell us about any other major tournament winner's matches en route to the win?
Well, B-B, I'm not sure what you are getting at here. I was responding to JB's statement about Schmidt's level of competition in that one event. So I just posted his path to the win. I have done similarly with others (SVB comes to mind) in the past.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

Of course he did beat your coach, Dennis Spears, but DS's 14.1 credentials are shaky at best. I'm told he knows a lot about 1pocket and freely shares that knowledge.

Lou Figueroa
Yes he does. And if he were my coach at various points in my life I would have won a lot from folks.

It's ok though bud, you got your trophy like a lot of average players over their lives. Going out of your way to knock John's accomplishments is well....... Not the behavior one expects when the knocker contends that he and the knocked are "good".

Some people just have that back-stabbing character defect though and they probably can't help themselves.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
Yeah not like winning five matches for the title against bonafide gen-u-ine champeens was an accomplishment.

Who were your opponents in the "some northern state" 8-ball championship? Anyone we have heard of so that we can judge it in the proper context?

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Well, B-B, I'm not sure what you are getting at here. I was responding to JB's statement about Schmidt's level of competition in that one event. So I just posted his path to the win. I have done similarly with others (SVB comes to mind) in the past.
Your database is scary!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes he does. And if he were my coach at various points in my life I would have won a lot from folks.

It's ok though bud, you got your trophy like a lot of average players over their lives. Going out of your way to knock John's accomplishments is well....... Not the behavior one expects when the knocker contends that he and the knocked are "good".

Some people just have that back-stabbing character defect though and they probably can't help themselves.

I wasn't the one who brought the subject of world championships up, so participating in the discussion as it meanders and rolls along is certainly not going out of my way for anything.

And, some people just have that cheating character defect though and they probably can't help themselves ;-)

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah not like winning five matches for the title against bonafide gen-u-ine champeens was an accomplishment.

Who were your opponents in the "some northern state" 8-ball championship? Anyone we have heard of so that we can judge it in the proper context?

Montana is a big state with *a lot" of really good bar box 8ball players.

And as someone pointed out in another thread, up in Montana playing pool is second only to hunting and fishing. Every bar has scads of teams. It's huge. It's so big they even have an annual "belt buckle" tournament that players come from all over to compete in. The winner gets a silver rodeo style buckle. Winning that one is one of my proudest pool accomplishments : -)

Lou Figueroa

Attachments

• IMG_1724.jpg
    IMG_1724.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went to John Schmidt’s 626 showing last night. A couple of things stood out to me.

He acknowledged a lot of good luck in the record run. But having watched all 626 shots, it’s amazing how few were low-percentage shots like banks or combinations or long cut shots. Only a couple times from what I remember did he let the cue ball stay in the rack and then get BIH for the break shot, and only a couple times was the break ball under the rack. I only recall one time that the cue ball hit a rail before going into the rack after making the break ball - almost every time he had perfect position on the break ball.

The one thing that stood out to me is that, although the attention is understandably on the 626 run, the full record throughout the recorded attempts is pretty amazing. He said he attempted around 4000 break shots during the record attempt period, and that they think he only missed about 15. He must have had around a 99.2% shot success during the record-attempt period. He ran over 400 (edit: maybe 300?) dozens of times, I believe. I don’t recall the exact numbers and didn’t take notes, but he ran a helluva lot of balls and has way, way more verified super-high runs than anyone else, and it’s not even close. That includes his record-breaking attempts as well as other events like the Derby City high-run sessions held over the past 10-12 years.

But the tone from him was definitely not “I am the greatest pool or straight pool player ever because I broke the Mosconi record.” He talked about how he has lots of self-doubts and flaws and he spent a lot of time praising other straight pool players that were his idols like Sigel, Mizerak, Thorsten, etc., and some new ones like Filler and SVB. Instead he focused on how brutal it was to keep trying, to get up to 490, and then miss, and then start over. It was much more about keeping up motivation during a pretty thankless period of trying to break the record than it was about how good of a player he is.

One anecdote he told summed it up to me: He said another top pro (I won’t name him) privately told him that he was going to try to break Schmidt’s new record. Schmidt said he told him that he definitely has the skill, but that he wasn’t going to do it in a few tries, and to be ready to run 200, 300, 400 over and over, and then miss and start over. And for every high run you will get no money and no trophies like you would for winning or placing in a tournament. That pro later made a public statement congratulating Schmidt on his accomplishment, and has not tried to break his record (implying that he was persuaded by what Schmidt said).

He talked about how a few pros made dismissive or skeptical statements, and to counter some of their skepticism he said the WPA (or is it BCA?) has the full video and had experts review it. He said he never touched a ball with his hand during the record-breaking run and so it was compliant under all-ball foul rules.

I’m sure you could say I got a biased view from him, but those were some of my impressions.

Last edited:

gerryf

I went to John Schmidt’s 626 showing last night. A couple of things stood out to me.

He acknowledged a lot of good luck in the record run. But having watched all 626 shots, it’s amazing how few were low-percentage shots like banks or combinations or long cut shots. Only a couple times from what I remember did he let the cue ball stay in the rack and then get BIH for the break shot, and only a couple times was the break ball under the rack. I only recall one time that the cue ball hit a rail before going into the rack after making the break ball - almost every time he had perfect position on the break ball.

The one thing that stood out to me is that, although the attention is understandably on the 626 run, the full record throughout the recorded attempts is pretty amazing. He said he attempted around 4000 break shots during the record attempt period, and that they think he only missed about 15. He must have had around a 99.2% shot success during the record-attempt period. He ran over 400 dozens of times, I believe. I don’t recall the exact numbers and didn’t take notes, but he ran a helluva lot of balls and has way, way more verified super-high runs than anyone else, and it’s not even close. That includes his record-breaking attempts as well as other events like the Derby City high-run sessions held over the past 10-12 years.

But the tone from him was definitely not “I am the greatest pool or straight pool player ever because I broke the Mosconi record.” He talked about how he has lots of self-doubts and flaws and he spent a lot of time praising other straight pool players that were his idols like Sigel, Mizerak, Thorsten, etc., and some new ones like Filler and SVB. Instead he focused on how brutal it was to keep trying, to get up to 490, and then miss, and then start over. It was much more about keeping up motivation during a pretty thankless period of trying to break the record than it was about how good of a player he is.

One anecdote he told summed it up to me: He said another top pro (I won’t name him) privately told him that he was going to try to break Schmidt’s new record. Schmidt said he told him that he definitely has the skill, but that he wasn’t going to do it in a few tries, and to be ready to run 200, 300, 400 over and over, and then miss and start over. And for every high run you will get no money and no trophies like you would for winning or placing in a tournament. That pro later made a public statement congratulating Schmidt on his accomplishment, and has not tried to break his record (implying that he was persuaded by what Schmidt said).

He talked about how a few pros made dismissive or skeptical statements, and to counter some of their skepticism he said the WPA (or is it BCA?) has the full video and had experts review it. He said he never touched a ball with his hand during the record-breaking run and so it was compliant under all-ball foul rules.

I’m sure you could say I got a biased view from him, but those were some of my impressions.
A good report! Thanks for doing that!

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Only a couple times from what I remember did he let the cue ball stay in the rack and then get BIH for the break shot, and only a couple times was the break ball under the rack. I only recall one time that the cue ball hit a rail before going into the rack after making the break ball - almost every time he had perfect position on the break ball.

He ran over 400 dozens of times, I believe. I don’t recall the exact numbers and didn’t take notes, ...
Good memory! Bob Jewett took notes on Schmidt's break-shot locations and posted the results earlier in this thread. He shows 4 times from below the rack and twice (as you remembered) with ball in hand in the kitchen: https://forums.azbilliards.com/threads/is-schmidts-and-charlie-626-legit.506237/page-69#post-6604581.

But I have to correct you on the "over 400 dozens of times." He has done it 8 times, 6 of which were during his high-run attempts of 2018 and 2019: https://forums.azbilliards.com/threads/congratulations-john-schmidt.528219/#post-6906441

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is exactly what I was talking about. Sorry it wasn't clearer.

Can you share the svb path you mentioned, please and thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.