Purchasing a used Gold Crown, what to look for?

be1163

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello, looking for advice on what to look for to ensure a table is in good condition..slate, legs, apron, etc. I have made an offer on the table and when I go and look at it need to know if its worth the money ($2300) or not. I'm not sure of the age but guessing it is either a Gold Crown 2 or 3.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you have any pics or a link to share? Unless the table is apart, it's going to be tough to tell what you're getting. Any idea where the table has lived? Pool hall or private residence? If the wood grain formica on the rail tops has worn, it is likely the table saw LOTS of use over the years. Most issues are chewed up rail wood and slate backers from many recovers or cracked slate. Check to see if all the hardware appears to be in place: rail bolts, ball return, pocket liners, etc. If it is a GCI (unlikely to be a II given they were only made for 3 years) have the cushions been replaced and if so, were the rails properly calibrated to accept modern K55 profile cushions? If it is a GCIII, have the cushions been replaced (no need for rail calibration on III's)? Some GCIII's left the factory with defective rubber that aged prematurely; some are good, some are not.

be1163

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately all I know about it from the pictures and what was in the add is that the table was in a pool hall and now private residence. Also they claim it was recently refinished with new rubber and cloth.

There isn't a lot of options around here right now for used Gold Crowns or Diamonds in 9ft. So when I seen this one I figure I will at least go and see how it looks.

sellingboe

If it has been restored properly then it is a very good price IMHO (operative word: properly). I just bought an GC1 8' for $1450 in good condition but needing some cosmetic work and cloth. Original cushions are ok, but I think I'm going to put on new rubber, which means sending the rails out to a competent mechanic since there are none in the Twin Cities. I'll probably have $3k-$3.5 into it when all is said and done. If the one you're looking at was restored recently, find out who did it. Get as many details as you can and make some calls if you have to, but do it quickly. I don't know where you're located but I just drove two states away to get mine. There are buyers besides yourself looking for this table right now.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately all I know about it from the pictures and what was in the add is that the table was in a pool hall and now private residence. Also they claim it was recently refinished with new rubber and cloth.

There isn't a lot of options around here right now for used Gold Crowns or Diamonds in 9ft. So when I seen this one I figure I will at least go and see how it looks.
Can you post the pics here or share the link?

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
If it's had excessive recovering, you might have to replace the top rail underwood.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
If it came from a pool hall , I won't even bother .
Too many much better deals on privately owned only .
You can find 1's and 2's for a lot less. I won't touch the 3's.

TrevorB

Registered
Good luck at $2300.
I'd rather spend $1000 on a privately owned II and spend the rest on the rebuild.

I’d agree here. Much better deals to be had, just gotta be patient. Took me a few months, but I found my GC1 after about 6 months. Home table, great condition, paid $1000. Then another $800 for new cloth, install and new drop pockets.

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrevorB

Registered
7ed9c9abbcb16fe1483a8f89b30393ca.jpg

ca34ae89eae73838445a883689490d40.jpg

Before and after pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello, looking for advice on what to look for to ensure a table is in good condition..slate, legs, apron, etc. I have made an offer on the table and when I go and look at it need to know if its worth the money ($2300) or not. I'm not sure of the age but guessing it is either a Gold Crown 2 or 3.
If you already made the offer it’s going to be hard to get out now if you don’t like it.

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
To throw it out there, I paid $2200 for a GC 4 about a year or so ago and drove 6 hours to Georgia to pick it up. I believe it had been privately owned, or really taken care of if in a pool hall environment.

There were a couple of GC 2 tables prior to that I saw for under $2000.

Either way, add $2000 for rail work, new rubber and cloth. If it needs it that is.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He said he made an offer on it, does his word not count for something? Pretty low down in my opinion to make an offer then back out.
Any offer made should certainly be contingent on a physical inspection. At this point, he hasn't even seen the table in person. What if the seller is being "low down" on their description of the table? Becasue he's made an offer, he's stuck with a shit table?

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any offer made should certainly be contingent on a physical inspection. At this point, he hasn't even seen the table in person. What if the seller is being "low down" on their description of the table? Becasue he's made an offer, he's stuck with a shit table?
You are right, the OP should of waited to make the offer after looking at the table.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are right, the OP should of waited to make the offer after looking at the table.
If I show up with a truck and a buddy to move the table and it is not as advertised, I'm walking. Offer or no offer. There is no binding contract here. Both parties have the option to back out at any time until cash changes hands and the deal is finalized with a handshake.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds okay to me if that was the agreement when the offer was made. Contingent on a physical inspection.