IDA

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Does anyone know how our Louisiana friends fared? It was a lot of rain and moderate wind here, but over there, it was very much worse.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Does anyone know how our Louisiana friends fared? It was a lot of rain and moderate wind here, but over there, it was very much worse.
I think most have gotten through it, lots of property damage though. without power and cell towers its near impossible to have confirmation. Bits and pieces from my family but its going to be a few days more before I know for sure.
Glad your area is not as bad.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
After Katrina, all of the Cell Towers were down here, and we ran generators for a month, so I can relate. It will be a while before they surface.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Ida was compact and tough, with way too much staying power. Worst opponents in the world -- small, in-shape, and completely without the concept of "quit". When I was young, I at first wondered what was meant when two cats were jawing at each other and one warned "better pack a lunch", but I eventually figured it out. Like most words spoken in such contexts, it is usually just more b.s., but if it proves true, you will quickly learn a lesson highly seasoned with stinging regret. Ida certainly provides a perfect example of why many battles are best avoided when possible -- you just cannot fully gauge the composition of an opponent and appearance is so very often deceiving.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ida was compact and tough, with way too much staying power. Worst opponents in the world -- small, in-shape, and completely without the concept of "quit". When I was young, I at first wondered what was meant when two cats were jawing at each other and one warned "better pack a lunch", but I eventually figured it out. Like most words spoken in such contexts, it is usually just more b.s., but if it proves true, you will quickly learn a lesson highly seasoned with stinging regret. Ida certainly provides a perfect example of why many battles are best avoided when possible -- you just cannot fully gauge the composition of an opponent and appearance is so very often deceiving.
Do you think I need to lose some weight?

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
All motel rooms here are filled with folks from Louisiana. Grocery stores and gas stations are selling out -- empty shelves and coolers a daily occurrence.

mfinkelstein3

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I hope and pray all made it through this storm. We were lucky and only flooded here in Queens. Some folks drowned in their homes. So very tragic. Here is what I learned from this: 1. I’m thankful we survived. 2. At the end of the day it is only stuff. 3. I probably should have thrown out a lot of this stuff before anyway. 4. I’m getting to meet my neighbors and we are all helping each other!!

6F640F48-0238-4307-AA15-24F20B7B09A4.jpeg

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I hope and pray all made it through this storm. We were lucky and only flooded here in Queens. Some folks drowned in their homes. So very tragic. Here is what I learned from this: 1. I’m thankful we survived. 2. At the end of the day it is only stuff. 3. I probably should have thrown out a lot of this stuff before anyway. 4. I’m getting to meet my neighbors and we are all helping each other!!

View attachment 608991
mark
glad to know you made it thru with no major damage
hope your cue didnt get flooded

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have had minimal contact with JoeA, other than that my only info is from Laplace(the base of I-55) to points north fifty or seventy-five miles. I have three large sawtooth oaks on the house, unhurt though and by some fluke got power back yesterday. My power comes from north of me. My neighbor has power coming from the south. Looking at all the trees and poles down, it may take weeks or more to restore their power. Friends in Laplace say Ida did more damage than Katrina or Isaac.

I haven't taken more than a look passing down the highway but it looks like a stand of mature pine was hit with a downburst or something, never seen that much damage so concentrated. Trees fifty to seventy feet high at a guess, acres of them flattened. Really looks like a monster daisy cutter bomb hit.

One thing that is wild, the leaners are all leaning west and most trees fell east to west meaning the first winds did the damage. Often the damage is done when the winds and rains have loosened trees and then the wind hits from another direction.

Bad thing about the rural area I am in, we are low priority for everything. The great thing is that the wind hadn't died down good before local people were out with chainsaws and equipment clearing roads that didn't have power lines tangled in the trees and debris.

Lost a lot of tin off of my barn/workshop. Got to try to get some oil on my lathes and other equipment to prevent more rust. Afraid the old barn has seen the end of it's life. I'll see how things look later on, more pressing fish to fry!

I led a charmed life with named storms for years, now the odds are catching up with me. They were claiming tropical storm level winds here. We got a bit more. As always, some weird things. Lost very healthy fairly massive trees plus 100-150 year old pecans and such that while not super healthy have weathered many a storm. I have an old fruit pear tree probably pushing a hundred years old. I have been amazed each year when the rotten husk leafs out in the spring. It is standing proud and straight when many trees that are fine have taken a few degree tilt west if they still stand.

Enough already, there will be something new next week!

Hu

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Good to hear from you Hu. I was afraid the storm was parked over you way too long. House unhurt and electricity back on is a pretty good report. Sorry about your barn. Every storm seems to bring something different. Frederick in late 70's hit Mobile and brought us north winds which caused tremendous tree loss of 100 -- 150 year old trees, including some big, big boundary pines. We were told this occurred because trees had never been been exposed to such high winds from the north.

I hope you and yours have a speedy recovery.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
I did not intend to neglect you folks up North, and in fact, I have thought of ya'll quite often since learning of the tremendous devastation and loss of life ya'll experienced. Losing a car or a house is one thing, but the loss of a friend or relative is something not easily overcome. You all, too, are in my thoughts and prayers. There is something about a storm experience, even a near miss like I just had, to straighten out one's priorities. Take care of yourselves and one another.

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I have had minimal contact with JoeA, other than that my only info is from Laplace(the base of I-55) to points north fifty or seventy-five miles. I have three large sawtooth oaks on the house, unhurt though and by some fluke got power back yesterday. My power comes from north of me. My neighbor has power coming from the south. Looking at all the trees and poles down, it may take weeks or more to restore their power. Friends in Laplace say Ida did more damage than Katrina or Isaac.

I haven't taken more than a look passing down the highway but it looks like a stand of mature pine was hit with a downburst or something, never seen that much damage so concentrated. Trees fifty to seventy feet high at a guess, acres of them flattened. Really looks like a monster daisy cutter bomb hit.

One thing that is wild, the leaners are all leaning west and most trees fell east to west meaning the first winds did the damage. Often the damage is done when the winds and rains have loosened trees and then the wind hits from another direction.

Bad thing about the rural area I am in, we are low priority for everything. The great thing is that the wind hadn't died down good before local people were out with chainsaws and equipment clearing roads that didn't have power lines tangled in the trees and debris.

Lost a lot of tin off of my barn/workshop. Got to try to get some oil on my lathes and other equipment to prevent more rust. Afraid the old barn has seen the end of it's life. I'll see how things look later on, more pressing fish to fry!

I led a charmed life with named storms for years, now the odds are catching up with me. They were claiming tropical storm level winds here. We got a bit more. As always, some weird things. Lost very healthy fairly massive trees plus 100-150 year old pecans and such that while not super healthy have weathered many a storm. I have an old fruit pear tree probably pushing a hundred years old. I have been amazed each year when the rotten husk leafs out in the spring. It is standing proud and straight when many trees that are fine have taken a few degree tilt west if they still stand.

Enough already, there will be something new next week!

Hu
Do you guys get tornados too?? Its amazing what damage powerful winds can cause. 3 years ago we had 11 tornados in our county one evening, all were relatively small but there was still a lot of damage, stuff like the middle of power poles missing, the wires were still hanging in the air (barely) but the pole was gone, strange. Anyhow I had firsthand witness of the crop damage they always talk about, I always wondered how bad crop damage can be. Fields of mature corn was all flattened out and laid over in all directions, it was very strange and eye opening to see. Large trees toppled over with a 15'-20' root balls sticking up and cantilevering large slabs of concrete out of the ground.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you guys get tornados too?? Its amazing what damage powerful winds can cause. 3 years ago we had 11 tornados in our county one evening, all were relatively small but there was still a lot of damage, stuff like the middle of power poles missing, the wires were still hanging in the air (barely) but the pole was gone, strange. Anyhow I had firsthand witness of the crop damage they always talk about, I always wondered how bad crop damage can be. Fields of mature corn was all flattened out and laid over in all directions, it was very strange and eye opening to see. Large trees toppled over with a 15'-20' root balls sticking up and cantilevering large slabs of concrete out of the ground.
It’s amazing how powerful they are.