Judd Trump to play U.S. Open.................

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I think it’s great cross promotion. I’d like to see similar opportunities for pool players though. Snooker players get to play from the first round in major pool events but pool players have to go through a gruelling qualification system to try snooker. Why not offer a wild card to the current world 9 ball champion every year or something?

gerryf

He is a top professional and I expect he will do his homework and probably is as we speak. His weakest point may be his break. Shane has certainly proved to all how important that is in 9 ball and 10 ball. It has relative importance in other games but not quite as much as in 9 & 10 ball.
.. and also Youtube only started in 2005. Unlike the minor attempts by O'Sullivan etc., nowadays, players can watch thousand's of hours of 9-ball played by the world's best, so that must be a big help in doing homework.

I hope he does well, but have no expectations that he'll dominate.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... So in the end Matchroom pays Judd a nice holiday in Vegas, with two TV matches, one against a low level opponent or maybe some golden oldie past his prime , ...
Two small nits... The tournament is in Atlantic City and the format is double elimination up to the final 16. I think Judd is certainly going to have at least three matches. I'd bet on at least five. Here's the format as listed in the players' contract:

CropperCapture[742].png

In the last US Open, all 15 of the SE matches were on a single table and all broadcast. I wonder if they are going to be showing two matches at a time this year.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
If he wins, the prize money will probably cover service on his Patek for a few years lol.
Exactly... and it begs the question of why he's bothering. I wouldn't bet against the notion that Matchroom has provided some level of incentive.

Power in the break shot is much ado about nothing these days. Even if they switch to hand racking in the later rounds, for the most part the booming break has gone by the way side of something more controlled.

There's only two aspects of the game I think Trump may find himself out gunned.
1, is the jump shot. That said, and based on available equipment. I think he'll hit nearly all attempts, but make only the most basic.
2, is the moves game. Zero doubt that Trump can place the CB behind an obstruction easy enough. However snooker players don't need worry about offensive kicks and jump cues. I wouldn't be surprised to see Trump taken aback by the aggressive nature of pool players when snookered. Generally snooker players don't concern themselves with parking the CB on a snookering ball, just getting behind it.

Should be fun to watch

Geosnookery

The biggest issue will obviously be if he remembers to hit a rail after making contact.
Ha! True

White talked about having to remind Alex Higgins of the rules when they were playing in the Musconi Cup ‘way back’. The same with OSullivan…he knew no nine ball strategy other than to sink balls and safeties,

Trump is ‘studious’ but might mess up.

Geosnookery

I think it’s great cross promotion. I’d like to see similar opportunities for pool players though. Snooker players get to play from the first round in major pool events but pool players have to go through a gruelling qualification system to try snooker. Why not offer a wild card to the current world 9 ball champion every year or something?
It would be humiliating.

It’s not that a 9 ball champion isn’t a great billiards player but because he just lacks fundamental needed skills. It would be like the Tour de France cycling winner competing in a Triathlon but never having learned to swim.

Having said that, a British snooker-trained Champion 9 ball player would likely be given a wild card entry ‘if’ he lobbied for it. However, he would know better unless he had spent hours each day at a Snooker table over the past year….even then might still lose 4-0 in the opening round.

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Power in the break shot is much ado about nothing these days. Even if they switch to hand racking in the later rounds, for the most part the booming break has gone by the way side of something more controlled.

1, is the jump shot. That said, and based on available equipment. I think he'll hit nearly all attempts, but make only the most basic.
2, is the moves game. Zero doubt that Trump can place the CB behind an obstruction easy enough. However snooker players don't need worry about offensive kicks and jump cues. I wouldn't be surprised to see Trump taken aback by the aggressive nature of pool players when snookered. Generally snooker players don't concern themselves with parking the CB on a snookering ball, just getting behind it.

Should be fun to watch

if the break isn't hard to learn, then why are shane, tyler, jayson, fedor etc practising it so diligently? one would think they'd know how to break by now.. lol

trump will most likely be lacking in the break, jumping, banking, kicking. shotmaking and pressure control is great but only if you get to shoot.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
if the break isn't hard to learn, then why are shane, tyler, jayson, fedor etc practising it so diligently? one would think they'd know how to break by now.. lol

trump will most likely be lacking in the break, jumping, banking, kicking. shotmaking and pressure control is great but only if you get to shoot.
I get what you are saying. I think the way to break it down is that making a ball with the template, or even triangle racking on a table with newish cloth is not rocket science. Getting shape after the break and running out does take skill, even with the template rack.

Based on old videos, admittedly, the power break seemed to be a problem for snooker players. I think the observation is that the power behind the break isn't really an issue anymore. Of course, you are correct to state that power alone is just one element of a good break and that the elite do put a lot of effort into practicing their break to maximize run out opportunities.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'

I don't recall saying the break was easy to learn. (Did this thread get sucked into aiming forum...?) I said, "power" in the break isn't such a big deal these days. Better racking and better/faster equipment places emphasis on control. Which Trump will have spades. (spades = a lot)

Kicking angles will be a non-issue. However controling the OB/CB after the hit may be something else.

Banking is a tiny part of the game that I'd push that to almost inconsequencial. He'll probably opt for a safe play if the bank is anything beyond elementary. Which is the better way to play anyway.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
It would be humiliating.

It’s not that a 9 ball champion isn’t a great billiards player but because he just lacks fundamental needed skills. It would be like the Tour de France cycling winner competing in a Triathlon but never having learned to swim.

Having said that, a British snooker-trained Champion 9 ball player would likely be given a wild card entry ‘if’ he lobbied for it. However, he would know better unless he had spent hours each day at a Snooker table over the past year….even then might still lose 4-0 in the opening round.
I think you might see some better results in something like this past British Open with random draws and best of 5s. There are certainly players on the tour at the lower levels that someone like Kaci can beat, especially in that short race format.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Exactly... and it begs the question of why he's bothering. I wouldn't bet against the notion that Matchroom has provided some level of incentive.

Should be fun to watch
Why would matchroom bother? Becuase he's got tons of fans in the UK and other parts of the world that follow snooker that will watch just to see how he does against the yanks...

Jaden

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Why would matchroom bother? Becuase he's got tons of fans in the UK and other parts of the world that follow snooker that will watch just to see how he does against the yanks...

Jaden
Yeah, MR is really promoting it on social media - like they dropped Jaws in a guppy tank. It's no so overt as that, but you kind of get that feeling. At the very least, it probably nets them a few extra streaming dollars.

Overall, I think its great - generate some buzz and hey, if it turns out snooker players raise the standard, then, well that's life. I imagine the UK would be very pleased if Judd brought back a US Open title. I think that would be great for pool if we expand the audience even more. I get some people want to see a Yankee bring it down, but nothing is free.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Yeah, MR is really promoting it on social media - like they dropped Jaws in a guppy tank. It's no so overt as that, but you kind of get that feeling. At the very least, it probably nets them a few extra streaming dollars.

Overall, I think its great - generate some buzz and hey, if it turns out snooker players raise the standard, then, well that's life. I imagine the UK would be very pleased if Judd brought back a US Open title. I think that would be great for pool if we expand the audience even more. I get some people want to see a Yankee bring it down, but nothing is free.
Matchroom is not known for taking on things out of charity. Matchroom is also known for it's event promotion acumen, so I would be guessing there's a good chance of matchroom being in the process of marketing for a US pro tour. Might be jumping the gun but mark my words, the moment a truly viable US tour pops up, you're going to see some players jump out of the wood work in the U.S. that no one knew about.

Jaden

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve Davis, Chris Melling and Phil Yates give their thoughts here