Questions for Efren Reyes & Buddy Hall

sr 9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JoeyA, could u please keep track on paper who is shooting with what shafts please. Im sure all of us az’s would really be interested.
Anyone what to second that.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I read an interview with Efren many years ago.

In the interview he was asked how he put so much spin on the cue ball. He said something to the affect that he hits near the center of the cue ball to get max spin.

This is completely counter intuitive. Can he elaborate? Was it mistranslation? Did I misread it?

matta

My guess is that he's referring to cross-stroking.
If you aim too far off center your tip has to come towards center or
you may miscue.This is somewhat like opposing muscles...you're taking
off what you're putting on.

accustatsfan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK,
I will try to get Efren to talk to me about CTE and other subjects that might be of interest to AZBers this weekend when I am at the tournament in Galveston TX (www.theworldclassic.com) and will announce some of this information on the free Live Stream.

Buddy Hall will be sitting in the booth with me from time to time along with other celebrities and I will asking Buddy some unique questions when time permits and we will share that information with you as well.

If you have ONE specific question (for Buddy or Egfen) you would like answered, please write it in this thread. Time is short so I can't make any promises but I will try to have some of the questions answered..

Thanks,
JoeyA

Ask Buddy "What was the secret of his bridge"? In his book he says he had a dream about his bridge and immediately played at a higher level.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Efren is very secretive :) Inside Pool "What's in the Case" interviewed Efren and he wouldn't really show his playing shaft, he kept beating around the bush and reverting back to his practice shafts, it was kind of cute LOL

There is no way he will divulge in his aiming technique. I predict very generic answers/conversation regarding this subject, though I do wish he would give us a tell all.
When I had Efren in my shop for an evening we asked him about how he aims and he said, "I will talk about it when I am done playing".

I might have that exchange on video.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Joey: Efren, what do you think of CTE?

Efren: Sorry, my english not so good.

Joey: You know, Hal Houle's center to edge aiming system?

Efren: Oh, my english .... not so good, sorry.

Joey: You know, an aiming system where you aim from the center of the cue ball to the edge of the object ball and then pivot and ...

Efren: Oh, aim. Yes, I aim to put ball in pocket.

Joey: But what is your system to aim?

Efren: I aim for pocket. You have to aim for pocket. I want it to go in pocket.

Joey: But how do you aim it to go in the pocket? How do you line it up?

Efren: Oh, I see. I line up to hit the ball so that it will go toward pocket. So that it will go in pocket.

Joey: So I guess we should call your system the aim for the pocket system.

Efren: Aim to go in pocket, yes, that's what I do.

Joey: OK, so what do you think of the Perfect Aim system?

Efren: Oh, my aim not perfect. But I try hard. I aim better 30 years ago. My eyes now, not so good.

Joey: But how do you position your eyes for a shot?

Efren: Oh, I look at cue ball. Then at object ball. Then I keep looking at object ball. Because I want it to go in pocket.

Joey: Thank you, Efren.
These are pretty much the answers he gave when he was asked these questions during his TAR match years ago.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I read an interview with Efren many years ago.

In the interview he was asked how he put so much spin on the cue ball. He said something to the affect that he hits near the center of the cue ball to get max spin.

This is completely counter intuitive. Can he elaborate? Was it mistranslation? Did I misread it?

matta
Efren said this to me, it's where I learned BHE... He aims center ball and then pivots his cue for spin... My guess is that he naturally lines up on the cues pivot point without thinking about it. (not with a swipe stroke mind you, just lines up initially for center ball)

Jaden