The need for joint protectors?

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Asked for them from Dennis Dieckman on my first cue. He said OK reluctantly. Never delivered and I never pressed it.
That was 25 or so years ago and still playing with it.

As far as accidental damage from a butt or shaft falling out of your case??
Put the joint of the shaft and butt in the pocket and leave the tip and bumper exposed to the floor.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but i really fail to see the need for joint protectors, yet a lot better players than me do use them. I actually see them possibly causing extra wear on shafts with direct wood thread contact. I do think they would make it easier in pulling out a standard size shaft from a case though. Right now I am using a JB case and am really happy with it, but I am posting this because I really would like to know, as up till now I never have seen the need for them. Started writing this on the other post about custom joint protectors, but felt it would be best in it's own listing. I really am interested in hearing what I am missing out on, or is it only for looks.
I got everything else, may as well have these too. (helps my game)

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but i really fail to see the need for joint protectors, yet a lot better players than me do use them. I actually see them possibly causing extra wear on shafts with direct wood thread contact. I do think they would make it easier in pulling out a standard size shaft from a case though. Right now I am using a JB case and am really happy with it, but I am posting this because I really would like to know, as up till now I never have seen the need for them. Started writing this on the other post about custom joint protectors, but felt it would be best in it's own listing. I really am interested in hearing what I am missing out on, or is it only for looks.
I agree. I have a zillion cues with JP’s that look cool-so they are nice. But with a good case they really aren’t necessary.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
All my JP Set are functional sets, no fancy.

Both Alton (CueCaps), and Jim Baxter made nice sets.

Alton’s were like Bentley, Jim’s wee Lincoln Town Car.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JPs also prevent fuzz or lint from case interiors accumulating in the shaft openings or anything getting inside.
When the JPs compliment the overall look of the cue design, JPs are just like a great tie worn with a classy suit.

Nyquil

The biggest advantage for me is it's much easier to get my cues out of my case with the protectors on and as I add to my collection it makes identifying cues/shafts easier. I do think it also helps as others have mentioned with keeping the connection contacts clean. Most cues these days come with them anyway. It's also just part of the ritual for me.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never felt a need for a joint protector. Did buy a set for $5 just to help someone that seemed to need a beer.
I use the male piece to mark my back up shaft.
I figure the odds of me damaging my joint are somewhere in the meteor ite range.
Same here, IMHO I just don’t see the need for them.

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I have a one-piece cue, so I have no need for a joint protector. I don't believe Peradon even make them.
I'm 90% sure I have some joint protectors that I got with my old custom Peradon 2-piece.
(It was either that cue or a crap production cue that tried to dress itself up as more, that I bought when I was young and naive.)

But I agree they're basically pointless.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
love the ones Jim Baxter made for my Josey...were they necessary? No. Did I want them? You betcha! Made in a concave shape, they make it easy to remove the shafts and cue from the case.

Attachments

• IMG_1131.JPG
    IMG_1131.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So why not use them? A bit more protection is better than less right?
It’s already quite the process covering and uncovering the table, making sure all the equipment is clean, etc, but there is a huge return on that time invested. I just don’t see the time spent over the years covering and uncovering shafts and butts going in, or out of a good case is time I want to spend. I don’t see much of a return on that time invested. Besides, JPs are going to have come off, so joints are going to be exposed no matter what.