The need for joint protectors?

chenjy9

It’s already quite the process covering and uncovering the table, making sure all the equipment is clean, etc, but there is a huge return on that time invested. I just don’t see the time spent over the years covering and uncovering shafts and butts going in, or out of a good case is time I want to spend. I don’t see much of a return on that time invested. Besides, JPs are going to have come off, so joints are going to be exposed no matter what.

Takes less than half a minute put them on or take them off both sides, literally. The joints are also only exposed for the brief time it takes to screw together or apart the cues. It’s not any real time lost at all IMO.

Different strokes for different folks though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s already quite the process covering and uncovering the table, making sure all the equipment is clean, etc, but there is a huge return on that time invested. I just don’t see the time spent over the years covering and uncovering shafts and butts going in, or out of a good case is time I want to spend. I don’t see much of a return on that time invested. Besides, JPs are going to have come off, so joints are going to be exposed no matter what.
The only time the JPs on any of my cues are removed is only momentarily. It takes about 20-30 seconds
to assemble the shaft and butt. The joint is exposed for that long so dirt, dust, etc. doesn’t have time to
even settle on the joint. Every so often I lightly dip a cue tip in Vaseline petroleum jelly. I wipe the inside of
the flat faced wood shaft threaded opening. I’ve found my cues screw together better & tighter afterward.

BigFish23

Registered
The only reason I use them is because I wouldn't be able to pull my gear out of my JB Case otherwise. They are in there tight and I need something with a ridge to grab. The uniloc joint pin is too smooth. My old Schon pin was easier to get out.

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like the pocket on your case?
Like I have room in there left with all the chalks, cue extensions, small towels, shaft cleaners, cue holders, and the thing you use to create a rake together with your break cue. And other crap that I no longer use.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If taking off and putting on JPs would be annoying, then how the heck do you handle slow pace of play opponents?

That is a whole lot more off putting than the added task of using JPs. Personally, I glance around the room when doing
it. At the same time, I’ve noticed the better road players use them, as well as local players. Must be some reason why
and like I originally posted, it keeps my flat faced shafts from getting any fuzz or lint inside and my cues just look better.

Ever hear “In for a penny in for a pound.”? When you spend a certain amount of money for a cue, and it doesn’t require
a small fortune either, not getting joint protectors is akin to being careless and unappreciative of what you own. It is like
having ferrules that are chalk stained. Of course, it’s due to careless chalking but mainly from not keeping your ferrules
clean. Maybe it’s laziness or indifference but you see it all the time. it. That’s a reason why ivory ferrules are so popular.

Cuedup

"At the same time, I’ve noticed the better road players use them, as well as local players."

I noticed that too. Once I started using them my game improved as well.

chenjy9

Like I have room in there left with all the chalks, cue extensions, small towels, shaft cleaners, cue holders, and the thing you use to create a rake together with your break cue. And other crap that I no longer use.
Sounds like you have plenty of space then!

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
R.91977fed8f9db1e6399b255adc486aa3

I know, I know....too easy.

Jeff Livingston

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I just use basic plastic ones with a few different logos. The rare time I play outside my home I carry a 3 shaft, 2 butt case. Break cue, Player and extra playing shaft. As others have mentioned, just makes it easier to pull the one I want based on the logo or color.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me joint protectors are waste of money and more importantly their use would be waste of time without any added benefit. Yes they can be really nice but I dont own cues to look at them,i own them to play with them🙂 Every tournament I would need to unscrew/screw jp like 6-7times because i put my cues in the case after every single match, that would annoy the hell out of me😤🙄
You have to be kidding.

Unscrewing something that takes two seconds annoys you?

Same as when people say one joint is better because it takes less time to screw the cue together.

Weird, if you ask me.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
You have to be kidding.

Unscrewing something that takes two seconds annoys you?

Same as when people say one joint is better because it takes less time to screw the cue together.

Weird, if you ask me.

Go to a state tourney where you gotta unpack and pack every hour or so.

It's why I choose uni-loc. I got real tired of screwing....and unscrewing....that didn't sound right there for a minute.

Jeff Livingston

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go to a state tourney where you gotta unpack and pack every hour or so.

It's why I choose uni-loc. I got real tired of screwing....and unscrewing....that didn't sound right there for a minute.

Jeff Livingston
Even if it takes a minute, do you really get tired out by doing it?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes.

I have a philosophy at these tournaments: lighter faster smaller cheaper quicker

I also hate when crap is put in my way for no reason. I have zero reason for a joint protector. It would only retard me and my play.

They look nice, though.

Jeff Livingston
I have played at numerous tournaments and never got annoyed or tired by screwing my cue together.

Also, I have tons of cues, but maybe only two that have joint protectors that came with the cues when I got them.

I have never saw a need for them.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I've been caught in the losers' bracket where, if I got my game into gear, I'm playing every hour for many hours.

I hate putting up my shit over and over again....even as I'm winning. So, I'm looking for a beautiful, 33 year old woman to be my caddy.

Jeff Livingston

PS don't tell my wife.

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
they keep debris for getting into the hole of your shafts
and protect the pins of your butts if you cue/case should fall
doesnt take much to push a pin out of sync even while it's in the case , JP's are smart :alien:

Reactions: bbb

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but i really fail to see the need for joint protectors, yet a lot better players than me do use them. I actually see them possibly causing extra wear on shafts with direct wood thread contact. I do think they would make it easier in pulling out a standard size shaft from a case though. Right now I am using a JB case and am really happy with it, but I am posting this because I really would like to know, as up till now I never have seen the need for them. Started writing this on the other post about custom joint protectors, but felt it would be best in it's own listing. I really am interested in hearing what I am missing out on, or is it only for looks.
I like joint protectors when I’m travelling. Cues are most susceptible to moisture on the end grain. The wood is unprotected at the top of the butt and the bottom of the shaft.