US Open 9-ball updates thread..

BlueRaider

Registered
Yes but isn't that the same in all countries and in all sports? Those with the right levels of talent and commitment rise to the top and move on to playing for $$$ and major trophies. And they embrace the leagues/amateurs/grassroots that prop the sport up - and in a well structured sporting pyramid, a small but significant portion of the commercial revenue drips down and everybody wins.
I wish APA could connect with the pro game somehow. It’s sad when you can go to league night with 80+ people playing pool and the only pro pool player the vast majority of them can name is Minnesota Fats.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm never really into rotation tournaments, but I have to say as a spectator, this tournament has been awful. Maybe I missed some hot match from either of the two streaming tables but the majority of the stuff I've seen are just complete blowouts or boring run outs.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm never really into rotation tournaments, but I have to say as a spectator, this tournament has been awful. Maybe I missed some hot match from either of the two streaming tables but the majority of the stuff I've seen are just complete blowouts or boring run outs.
Give it a few years and the major tournaments will go back to alternate break because the blow outs are boring. Then a few years later they will go back to winner breaks because it's more exciting. And then a few years later......

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I would ask why you aren't into rotation tournas in the first place?

rotation isn't quite my fave either, but this uso has been fine to watch, I think.
"winner break" can lead to blowouts, but that happens in every sport.
WB also paves the way for big comebacks, which can be quite entertaining-

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't see the match. What went down on the double hill?
He took a very long time to rack and the one ball went to the second diamond. Nowhere near the side pocket. Hard to get the one ball to do that on a tight rack. What's interesting is the change from template to rack and the stipulation players cannot check the rack.

Strange stuff. I'm sure it's archived on youtube.

vinay

Registered
Oh stop
Goddam leagues are the death of real pool
You got 95 percent of the US pool population playing for patches and 5 inch trophies
Comments like this are the death of real pool. God forbid new players get a chance to play competitively and get a taste of victory. Key to growing the sport is making it as frustrating and discouraging as possible for beginners, right?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Their warning is a beep. Shane Van Boening is deaf. Just give the player an extension if he has one.
You got a point, Al….in snooker, a ref has a duty to warn a player who is colour blind that he’s shooting the wrong ball…
…usually it’s the brown instead of a red.
you see the players look up to see how much time they got left…but a ref should be notified of a hearing problem.

nicksaint26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh stop
You got 95 percent of the US pool population playing for patches and 5 inch trophies
At least they are playing in pool rooms like yours and supporting the game. That is more than most do for the game

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Oh stop
I support the leagues…but they should be encouraged to improve instead of holding onto their handicap .….…
The players need a carrot to get better…like a league for good players with better money.
Remember…SVB came from Valley

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I try to not complain too much, but I have been spoiled by Accu Stats camera work. I really would like to see what happened to both the cue ball and object ball on a shot, not zoom in on just the object ball.
yes and the more we watch accu stats, the more we will be spoiled by accu stats.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yapp looked amazing vs Oi last week. His road partner was in the booth and basically said " He don't miss".

that's my main takeaway from watching yapp. it's very rare that he misses. he missed a combo vs svb and a few early balls against edgie, but overall his TPA must be the highest in the tournament. his kicking game is top notch too, and he breaks very well. haven't seen him jump much but i bet he's good at that too. dennis is an underdog imo

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Give it a few years and the major tournaments will go back to alternate break because the blow outs are boring. Then a few years later they will go back to winner breaks because it's more exciting. And then a few years later......
This of course will be intermodulated by sharks blooming and then overfeeding ad infinitum.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What evidence do you have that gambling is what's holding back American pros? And if gambling is so bad for your game, how do you explain why players like Dennis Orcollo, Chang Jung Lin, Carlo Biado, etc, are so dominant?

Yes but isn't that the same in all countries and in all sports? Those with the right levels of talent and commitment rise to the top and move on to playing for $$$ and major trophies. And they embrace the leagues/amateurs/grassroots that prop the sport up - and in a well structured sporting pyramid, a small but significant portion of the commercial revenue drips down and everybody wins.
No it's not.
In countries that produce real players they often have clubs where players improve together and compete in a structured regional semipro system.
Or the players in the country treat pool like men used to here, as a proving grounds to see who is mas macho.
Leagues and league operators are in it for the money. It's a business. They want everyone to play , using the least challenging equipment, in a handicapped setting which is not going to produce much top talent. Even those that do excel are graduating to play on nine foot tables and learning from someone with ties to old school pool.

Last edited:

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is our own workaround below. What is so difficult about that? Why even talk about asking Matchroom to do put scoreboard? They may send you a bill for manpower cost :ROFLMAO: Folks watching are already happy that Matchroom offering free Youtube channel

View attachment 610088
It is assinine that nobody ever knows the score on these things.