US Open 9-ball updates thread..

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok then, maybe I gave your post too much credit for high level thought then. It seemed to me that it was tongue in cheek stating that there WEREN'T any countries overseas using the smaller tables and producing high quality players. I was commenting based on that supposition.

Jaden
I have no idea what you are on about.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sub zero? "I can't see any reason why a good Snooker player if not paid to play and zero doubt Trump was would play." What exactly does this mean?
It means if one of the 2 things ever happened it would be a Snooker player winning a large Pool event before a Pool player winning a Snooker event

L.S. Dennis

He won the WPA world championship in 2017.
Still not nearly enough, guys like Rempe, Strickland, Sigel have a center 70 plus tournament wins, in fact in think Sigel has over 100! That’s what it should be to get into the Hall of Fame.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It means if one of the 2 things ever happened it would be a Snooker player winning a large Pool event before a Pool player winning a Snooker event
Maybe so. But it is more because formats are different. Race to 10 snooker is like race to 30 9-ball ... or more. If pool matches were so long too snooker players had also zero chances to prevail.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I enjoyed watching Judd Trump play, he did pretty well and his break was decent.
Some theory crafting, what are your thoughts on where his FargoRate will end up after these matches?
My estimate: 720.
Trump is now showing up with a 725 rating.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
9 footers are the norm for me...I got 10 foot Billiards and a Chinese 8 ball table when we get bored with that. The barboxes are fir the kids and wives.
And just where would you suggest the millions of people that play on bar box tables go when its league night, if you could get rid of all the bar box tables?

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That's already happened surely, Tony Drago being the obvious, but if you include Mark Gray and Chris Melling as snooker players, then even more so!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
That's already happened surely, Tony Drago being the obvious, but if you include Mark Gray and Chris Melling as snooker players, then even more so!
But just to be fair, Mark Grey wasn't really making it as Professional Snooker player either, with career high ranking of 79th.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But just to be fair, Mark Grey wasn't really making it as Professional Snooker player either, with career high ranking of 79th.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if we should count Gray or Melling tbh, Drago is the only one who was recognisable (to most snooker fans) as a top tier (or nearly top tier perhaps) player, even when he was competing at a high level in pool (i.e. Mosconi Cups and his World Pool Masters) he was still competing in major snooker tournaments.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Yeah, I wasn't sure if we should count Gray or Melling tbh, Drago is the only one who was recognisable (to most snooker fans) as a top tier (or nearly top tier perhaps) player, even when he was competing at a high level in pool (i.e. Mosconi Cups and his World Pool Masters) he was still competing in major snooker tournaments.
But even still, no true world snooker champion has ever transitioned over to playing pool for a living and being competitive at is. Allison Fisher is more than likely the best example of switching sports, though I don't know how far she would have gone in snooker had she stayed with it.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But even still, no true world snooker champion has ever transitioned over to playing pool for a living and being competitive at is. Allison Fisher is more than likely the best example of switching sports, though I don't know how far she would have gone in snooker had she stayed with it.

True and I can't ever see anyone truly switching, but its not impossible that the likes of Trump, or perhaps more likely Selby give the UK Open a go (it can't be a co-incidence that the timing is just after the snooker season ends)...

realkingcobra

Silver Member
True and I can't ever see anyone truly switching, but its not impossible that the likes of Trump, or perhaps more likely Selby give the UK Open a go (it can't be a co-incidence that the timing is just after the snooker season ends)...
This is the women snooker champions switching over to professional pool, but its a zero for the men.

Over the next two decades, the tournament was dominated by Allison Fisher (7 titles), Karen Corr (3 titles), and Kelly Fisher (5 titles), all of whom eventually moved to the United States to compete on the WPBA nine-ball pool tour.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the women snooker champions switching over to professional pool, but its a zero for the men.

Over the next two decades, the tournament was dominated by Allison Fisher (7 titles), Karen Corr (3 titles), and Kelly Fisher (5 titles), all of whom eventually moved to the United States to compete on the WPBA nine-ball pool tour.

Sorry yes, I was thinking of only men's as the women's snooker tour isn't really professional, there is prize money, but its not enough to live on and the standard is equivalent to a decent(ish) amateur men's standard.

That said now it is being used as a feeder tour for the main one, the standard will improve, Reanne Evans should have beaten Mark Allen the other day, which says a lot (ignoring the personal demons there) as he's a top player!