US Open 9-ball updates thread..

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But even still, no true world snooker champion has ever transitioned over to playing pool for a living and being competitive at is. Allison Fisher is more than likely the best example of switching sports, though I don't know how far she would have gone in snooker had she stayed with it.
Name brought up already, but wouldn't Chris Melling be a good example?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's already happened surely, Tony Drago being the obvious, but if you include Mark Gray and Chris Melling as snooker players, then even more so!
Does it count that Alex has won the Canadian Snooker Championship more than once? There are many very good snooker players who have come out of Cananda, including a couple of World Champions.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But even still, no true world snooker champion has ever transitioned over to playing pool for a living and being competitive at is. Allison Fisher is more than likely the best example of switching sports, though I don't know how far she would have gone in snooker had she stayed with it.
Allison had multiple world Snooker titles to her credit her first was when she was 17 , before she quit to play pool , Karen Corr , Kelly Fisher also multiple world Snooker titles before going to Pool
This was because woman's Snooker pays no where what the men get paid , and Woman's Pool paid more because they had a Tour with a TV contract

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does it count that Alex has won the Canadian Snooker Championship more than once? There are many very good snooker players who have come out of Cananda, including a couple of World Champions.
No it doesn't count , that's a Pro/Am event by comparison, he's tried more than once to just qualify for a ranking event and hasn't, When I lived in Canada Snooker was the game I never even saw a regular pool table there when I was there late 60's early 70s

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Does it count in Canada? :rolleyes:
No, its a non ranking event.

The Canadian Amateur Championship (occasionally known as the Canadian Open Snooker Championship) is an annual snooker competition played in Canada and is the highest ranking amateur event in the country.

stevelomako

Love you all!
Silver Member
So a crappy professional snooker player can win professional pool tournaments.

But world champion pool players can’t even qualify for any kind of snooker event.

If a crappy pro snooker player does good at pool it says everything.

Melling doesn’t really count because he was ranked 79. 🤦🏻‍♂️ You people crack me up

realkingcobra

Silver Member
2014-15

Liam Highfield scored a 4-2 victory over Alex Pagulayan in the final round of Q School event two to earn a two-year card to the World Snooker Tour.

Canada’s Pagulayan, one of the world’s leading nine-ball pool stars, had surprised many with a run of wins having swapped blue baize for green, but the player nicknamed The Lion wasn’t able to kill off his final opponent.

However, having won several matches in both Q School events, the 37-year-old, who was born in the Philippines, will have the chance to enter to certain ranking events during the 2014/15 season as a ‘top-up’ amateur

realkingcobra

Silver Member

But world champion pool players can’t even qualify for any kind of snooker event.

Melling doesn’t really count because he was ranked 79. 🤦🏻‍♂️ You people crack me up
Why's that? Melling wasn't making a living as a snooker player either!

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No that's no where near the same level as a ranking event by any stretch of the imagination, I stick Trump with Chip for a month he would be a threat to win pro am events , he's played just one event with little practice and a cue not his and his Fargo rate works out to 725 , that's low end pro speed first time out, pretty impressive !

stevelomako

Love you all!
Silver Member
If you took the top 16 snooker players and the top 16 pool players

Who’s going to beat who at the others game?

I like the snooker pros

realkingcobra

Silver Member

This should really crack you up, like I said, he didn't play snooker good enough to earn a living, which is why he switched to playing POOL!

Chris Melling (pool player)

Professional2001/2002, 2003/2004, 2006/2007, 2014–2016Highest ranking79 (July 2015)Career winnings£40,155 [snooker

stevelomako

Love you all!
Silver Member
This should really crack you up, like I said, he didn't play snooker good enough to earn a living, which is why he switched to playing POOL!

Chris Melling (pool player)

Professional2001/2002, 2003/2004, 2006/2007, 2014–2016Highest ranking79 (July 2015)Career winnings£40,155 [snooker

So you’re proving my point.

Snooker players are better.