Michigan Open (22-25 Sep 2021), 9ft, Winner $13K

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Very strong field and good prize money. We should all be pleased by the abundance of good events in which to play in such a short period of time:

already completed or in progress .....

Texas Open 1-pocket
Texas Open 9-ball
Diamond 10-ball
World 10-ball
US Open
Michigan Open

and in October ....

American Straight Pool
International 1-pocket
International 9-ball
International Bigfoot 10-ball

In the period 8/23 - 10/30, that's ten good events for the top pros to play in.

Wishing the best of luck to all these fine players.

Don't forget, 4th stop CSI/Predator is Ohio State Championship.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I live in Michigan. I love seeing Jeremy Seaman compete against these guys. He’s amazing to watch in 8-ball on a short table and the guy is primarily a 9’ player. He’s got a pretty high FargoRate for a person not many talk about.
If you are free, come out to Kellog Arena in Battlecreek to meet and watch the players.

btal

Registered
Looking at the small number of spectators, the future of this tournament doesn't bode well.
I would suggest that a venue in the Detroit area would have far better chances to attract a
larger crowd. Wouldn't want this Michigan stop to be done away with.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking at the small number of spectators, the future of this tournament doesn't bode well.
I would suggest that a venue in the Detroit area would have far better chances to attract a
It’s during the work week at business hours. So few spectators is not a surprise.

This event is part of a series of Pro events co-located with various amateur BCAPL state tournaments. So they get to leverage an economy of scale for hosting expenses. And I think it’s already a free event. You might as well think of it akin to an exhibition funded by Predator from Revo sales. It’s a fairly repeatable model.

btal

Registered
It’s during the work week at business hours. So few spectators is not a surprise.

This event is part of a series of Pro events co-located with various amateur BCAPL state tournaments. So they get to leverage an economy of scale for hosting expenses. And I think it’s already a free event. You might as well think of it akin to an exhibition funded by Predator from Revo sales. It’s a fairly repeatable model.
Hope you're right Matt. Go Jeremy!

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure. So you’ve saying that a US tour can only get US players to participate if it’s prestigious?
I would say there are ways to get people to enter a tournament that apparently weren't done at the Michigan Open. Do you know what the entry fee was? I searched but couldn't find that information. The referee from the U S Open seems to be running this event. The format is goofy. Same spot shot nonsense as the 10 ball event. I notice Shane Ban Boening isn't there.

If they had a reasonable entry fee and an experienced American tournament director like Helfert running the tournament I think they could have filled up the brackets.

Combination of factors.

• Haha
Reactions: MJB

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say there are ways to get people to enter a tournament that apparently weren't done at the Michigan Open. Do you know what the entry fee was? I searched but couldn't find that information. The referee from the U S Open seems to be running this event. The format is goofy. Same spot shot nonsense as the 10 ball event. I notice Shane Ban Boening isn't there.

If they had a reasonable entry fee and an experienced American tournament director like Helfert running the tournament I think they could have filled up the brackets.

Combination of factors.
Pro event was like $350 in advance and $390 late entry.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are definitely more people in the Detroit Metro area, but Battle Creek is known to be a pool hotspot- at least it was when I lived in Michigan over 20 years ago. Jayme Goodwin (a former pro) used to run a great room called The Billiard Cafe.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are definitely more people in the Detroit Metro area, but Battle Creek is known to be a pool hotspot- at least it was when I lived in Michigan over 20 years ago. Jayme Goodwin (a former pro) used to run a great room called The Billiard Cafe.
Back when the U.S. Open 1P was played there.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
That could very well be the absolute worst format ever!
I completely agree but it did give me an idea for what COULD be a good format. I like tennis' format. I think 3 races to 6, last set, if played, must be won by two games could be a good format... But the spot shot play off has got to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.

Jaden

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Oh yeah, my idea would be winner break the first two sets and alternate break for the tie breaker set. I think that could make for some REALLY interesting matches. Imagine a domination from both sides the first two sets and then trading racks for the last set... That would be epic and it would showcase the skill of BOTH players giving everyone a chance. First set breaker is determined by lag, second set is the other breaker and then a lag again if a third set is played.

It would also make fans of both winner breaks and alternate breaks happy.

Jaden

p.s. Mark Griffin, you need to hire me to run CSI... lol

p.p.s, the above ^^^^^^^ is only half tongue in cheek.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I completely agree but it did give me an idea for what COULD be a good format. I like tennis' format. I think 3 races to 6, last set, if played, must be won by two games could be a good format... But the spot shot play off has got to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.

Jaden
Win by 2 has always worked.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i'm a bit surprised there haven't been more break and run sets. if the announcer was right only shaw had one, in the las vegas edition. tight tables and triangle rack is probably the reason

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
i'm a bit surprised there haven't been more break and run sets. if the announcer was right only shaw had one, in the las vegas edition. tight tables and triangle rack is probably the reason
No, it's because packages are NOT all that common. The top players only average between 30-45% bnr's in 9 ball, even less in 10 ball. You're not going to have sets ran out all that often.

Jaden