Getting Closer to Launch

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my quick website overview, I only saw weekly and monthly prices. What are the prices for a days worth? Or what if you just want to sweat some action, what are the cover charges on those entries, if any? Looks like a nice place, hope it does you guys well!

I believe it is a private club.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can we get some details? I tried logging in and getting some info but nothing really available. Is this set up as an old school 14.1 table with big pockets and slow cloth or something? Any exhibitions in the works?

The idea of this being "old school" is not too far off the mark.

That's why there's green cloth and the pockets set up similar to what Mosconi would have shot on. Once players commit to a high run attempt there will be a stream available.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suspect we will see some monstrous numbers. The template racking alone will make sure of that. I’m pretty excited to see this come to fruition.

The idea for the template is to not only ensure tight racks but also to prevent any suspicions of rack twisting or high/low racking.

Lou Figueroa

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
The idea for the template is to not only ensure tight racks but also to prevent any suspicions of rack twisting or high/low racking.

Lou Figueroa
That makes sense, especially with respect to rack manipulation. I can see the temptation to “adjust” the rack position to fit the break ball.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my quick website overview, I only saw weekly and monthly prices. What are the prices for a days worth? Or what if you just want to sweat some action, what are the cover charges on those entries, if any? Looks like a nice place, hope it does you guys well!
I think at one point I saw a one day visitor pass was $50, but that was not connected to the 14.1 challenge.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m confused about the whole thing. The thread title makes me think something is coming to fruition - BB drops the name of the place where this OP picture had come from. It looks like a private club that’s been in business for at least a little while according to the website.

Ok I got into a Facebook account to see what that link was. It’s about a Legend of Straight Pool thing they’ve got going on at this private billiard spot. Seems cool. They’re going to be hosting exhibitions and matches and streaming them etc.

The Facebook group is called Legends of Pocket Billiards and it seems like they enjoy pool of all kinds: )

Yes:

1) Lou is talking about coming events at a place that has been there awhile.

2) This club is new to many of us here.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder if one can bring booze. Prob not, knowing VA.

I could be wrong though. I guess as a membership based business, they may be able to permit byob.
It could be dicey. It looks to be located in an office building.

Years a ago I worked at a place that had beer in a soda machine- Lone star and Miller Light..plus regular sodas also. The place was a small warehouse importer/factory...a sole proprietorship. They had a license for it and everything. But if you were drinking before business hours ended or a minor you were in trouble. LOL but a few of us were teens and snuck it anyway!

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe it is a private club.

Lou Figueroa
the old Waldorf Astoria had a private billiards club , Willie Hoppe had been prominent there
personally , i like a good clean pool room , reputable , everything out in the open
a place where you can get out of trouble quicker then you get into it :alien:
Good Luck

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It could be dicey. It looks to be located in an office building.

Years a ago I worked at a place that had beer in a soda machine- Lone star and Miller Light..plus regular sodas also. The place was a small warehouse importer/factory...a sole proprietorship. They had a license for it and everything. But if you were drinking before business hours ended or a minor you were in trouble. LOL but a few of us were teens and snuck it anyway!
I’m telling your Mommy.

When I was a teen, I worked in a pool hall with an attached liquor store and a drive-thru window.

I had keys to the place.

The owner told me to pay for whatever I took.

When he was having a party at his house, he would send me to the liquor store to get more booze when they were running low.

I would drive his big cream-colored Electra 225 to the liquor store, with the top down, and fill the trunk and back seat up with cases and bottles of booze and drive right through the middle of town and back to his house.

Those were the days I could go into any pool hall, club or bar for miles around and drink without anyone ever asking me for an ID and they knew I was underage.

95DE4BE5-31FF-4450-BE1F-0506C08740C7.jpeg

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m telling your Mommy.

When I was a teen, I worked in a pool hall with an attached liquor store and a drive-thru window.

I had keys to the place.

The owner told me to pay for whatever I took.

When he was having a party at his house, he would send me to the liquor store to get more booze when they were running low.

I would drive his big cream-colored Electra 225 to the liquor store, with the top down, and fill the trunk and back seat up with cases and bottles of booze and drive right through the middle of town and back to his house.

Those were the days I could go into any pool hall, club or bar for miles around and drink without anyone ever asking me for an ID and they knew I was underage.

View attachment 612616
That is awesome!

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The idea of this being "old school" is not too far off the mark.

That's why there's green cloth and the pockets set up similar to what Mosconi would have shot on. Once players commit to a high run attempt there will be a stream available.

Lou Figueroa
Except Willie accomplished it on a 8’ Brunswick table since the pool hall didn’t have any 9’ Brunswicks.
Willie really stood out on the 10’ tables that were common to find in pool halls in the 20’s thru the 60’s.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Except Willie accomplished it on a 8’ Brunswick table since the pool hall didn’t have any 9’ Brunswicks.
Willie really stood out on the 10’ tables that were common to find in pool halls in the 20’s thru the 60’s.

Yes, you're right -- he played pretty sporty on the 10'.

Lou Figueroa

gerryf

I wonder if one can bring booze. Prob not, knowing VA.

I could be wrong though. I guess as a membership based business, they may be able to permit byob.
I wonder as well. As a private club that isn't selling anything wouldn't it be the same as an office in the same building holding a Christmas party where booze is given out, or people give their own. Do you need a liquor license if BYOB, and nothing is sold?

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The table is set up and some *very* high level 14.1 players have taken an interest.

Standby for news:

Lou Figueroa
Chucklein', would be nice if they knew how to use the calipers. The side they are using is for OUTSIDE Dimension.
The smaller points along the top edge are what they should use for INSIDE Dimension. Reckon they skipped that
week in shop class. chuckle.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chucklein', would be nice if they knew how to use the calipers. The side they are using is for OUTSIDE Dimension.
The smaller points along the top edge are what they should use for INSIDE Dimension. Reckon they skipped that
week in shop class. chuckle.
Somebody mentioned it and zero response. Lol...

This would be as good a place as any to bring up JAWLESS pockets. Rails converge to a 3'" (give or take) aperture and what used to be jaws are cut back 180 degrees to the adjacent cushion. No shelf so anything that passes the opening, goes. Side pockets can be cut to allow steeper cuts and the slate can even be cut further out without the 5 inch aperture. The reason is you'd then have the full range of pool available for the mastering. Snooker and even Kaisa and Pyramid pockets make most of pool impractical. Snooker for instance, requires the game be dialed back to remedial defensive tactics simply because of those silly pockets. Would you give up rail shots?
Pros should be practicing at this level period.
Nuff said...

Last edited: