New method for installing inlays

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Problem I see is consistency from hole, or shape to shape.

Pool Cue buyers want everything as perfect as can be.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
GTF outta here…..maybe for carving wood furniture or cabinets and signage but this thing looks awful to use on a cue.
I’ll let some cue maker comment because they understand the nuances of cue making. It was interesting to view but
as far as cue making goes, this seems like a step backwards rather than forward in terms of technology and precision.

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
GTF outta here…..maybe for carving wood furniture or cabinets and signage but this thing looks awful to use on a cue.
I’ll let some cue maker comment because they understand the nuances of cue making. It was interesting to view but
as far as cue making goes, this seems like a step backwards rather than forward in terms of technology and precision.
Cool video. Repeatability with precision would be a problem. Alignment etc. I think it would work great if you were doing a single design. Like a single logo on a butt sleeve or something to that effect.

Otherwise it’s a step back for sure.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Thanks for the video. This brings back many memories, I spent three years of my life learning much of what this video teaches. It is very accurate and depicts old world craftsmanship. I still have my college notes on much of my schooling. I still use many of my tools that I made back in the early 80's, heat treating high carbon steel and proper angles for relieving material.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before NC , there were pantograph inlays and also skilled people making the inlays by hand tools and templates.
Now days, many people like the symmetry, repeatability of CNC produced inlays etc. Now with cell phones and
the very high resolution cameras, errors of 1/2 thousandths of an inch can be seen as if it is a flaw in the workmanship.
I like the old ways and the old skills in a cue handle, rather than the mass produced stuff. There certainly is skill in using cnc
to make some inlays and setting it all up etc, especially for a one off design, but eventually you get to a place where it all
depends on the customer and what they like at the time. Most people just want the look and the finished product, with very
little knowledge of how it was even made or designed.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Before NC , there were pantograph inlays and also skilled people making the inlays by hand tools and templates.
Now days, many people like the symmetry, repeatability of CNC produced inlays etc. Now with cell phones and
the very high resolution cameras, errors of 1/2 thousandths of an inch can be seen as if it is a flaw in the workmanship.
I like the old ways and the old skills in a cue handle, rather than the mass produced stuff. There certainly is skill in using cnc
to make some inlays and setting it all up etc, especially for a one off design, but eventually you get to a place where it all
depends on the customer and what they like at the time. Most people just want the look and the finished product, with very
little knowledge of how it was even made or designed.
That quality of inlay work would not make it in todays cue market. But it was a cool video.

MSchaffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As an FYI, I certainly wasn't suggesting it actually be used in today's modern cue market. I just thought it was a cool video, and needed a way to find it pool related to post.