$1000 max, what's your playing cue?

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have a $1000 to spend on a playing cue, what would you buy? As a side note, how many of your non pool playing friends think you are crazy spending more than $300 on a cue?
Any okay butt with Z2 shaft. and side note answer : none

mrpiper

Registered
I'm very likely all alone here but I would get a Meucci gambler style w dice and Queen of Hearts inlays w CF shaft or a Viking w CF shaft. I just really like the looks of them and at my level any straight cue is fine

Last edited:

smoochie

NotLikeThis
Mike Gullyassy butt for maximum dampening with a Revo 12.4 -- Nothing beats this combo's playibility. Don't care for looks.

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A Mezz cue or just the butt for $500 because the ignite shaft I'll be screwing on there is the other $500.

CRJ

I just ordered a Pechauer Pro series butt with Predator Revo 11.8 for under $1k. I’m trying to replicate the feel of my snooker cue, and am after a stiff hit with minimal deflection. The cue arrives tomorrow, but I think it’s about as close as I can get.

At home I play mostly 6 reds (with pool size snooker balls on a 7 foot table), but I got invited onto an APA team for the Summer and now Fall season. My snooker cue is a 1 piece Peradon that is 17.5 oz with 10mm tip and I use blue diamonds. When I started the Summer season, I did so on short notice and couldn’t fully transition to my Mezz EC7 with WX900 shaft that has a conical taper in time (mainly due to the additional deflection) so I played the first half of the season with my snooker cue. I worked with the Mezz and had a Kumi clear black medium installed and that helped and I made the transition.

I see a lot more 8 ball in my future and am excited to try this set up when it arrives tomorrow. Both pool cues are 18.5 oz. I think the Pechauer will feel more natural to me with a slimmer butt and no wrap. I was specifically looking for a stainless steel joint, wrapless, and the 11.8 Revo. I was able to have the insert of the Revo tapped to accept the slightly modified 5/16 x 14 of the Pechauer.

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

Just ran across this thread, Seems that about the time it was floating actively, I was finding and
bidding on a mid 70's Joss W (sideways), and managed to win it for roughly 3/4 of the budgeted
amount. Reckon it's gained value some in the last year what with BS's passing. It's staying here so...
Interesting, some of the choices.

hank

Nyquil

I would go with the current limited run predator sneaky road-line with a revo shaft. It can be had right at your budget and has the radial pin. It's what I have. Lots of good custom recommendations from others, but I really dig the carbon fiber revo.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
I'm very likely all alone here but I would get a Meucci gambler style w dice and Queen of Hearts inlays w CF shaft or a Viking w CF shift. O just really lime the looks of them and at my level any straight cue is fine
You do you man! Danny DiLiberto was playing with a Gambler last I knew of, so you keep good company.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer the OB-17 EMW. Ebony is very dense. I like the feedback that Ebony gives. Even with the stacked maple ferrule it has a great feel. Useing a hard tip really wakes it up.

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
Why does it take so long for a custom?
Is this just a hobby for Jeff or?
Why does it take so long for a custom?
Is this just a hobby for Jeff or?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You start with nothing, match things together, components are different, and it slowly turns into the best new baby for you. Its just like a baby, takes time to get it right.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
In no particular order. A quality CF shaft. The balance on a light-weight butt, any butt. The most decorative bang for the buck that speaks to me I can find.

I've used the CF long enough that there's no turning back. They've got me right where they want me.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
It’s not the Cue, it the Player who make a Cue magic stick.

One of best in AZ the state uses cheap McDermott Merry Widow. Actually switched from LePro, to Morri Tip recently.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
88d582fb34058b7299172275bb381f45.jpg

I’ll vote for a Runde. I absolutely love mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Maybe a merry widow from Ned Morris. Anything he makes is lights out playability. PLUS, Ned Morris has his own Evolution CF shafts that are better than Revo (my opinion and I've tried them all) for about $350. Amazing shafts!!

Nyquil

my other thought
revo shaft and any butt
I am with bbb on this. Customs are nice if you EXACTLY what you want. Hit, feel, shaft specs, materials, etc. I love my revo. I do not like uni loc QR I made sure mine was a radial set up. Nice thing about predator I have noticed is they hold their value very well and if you buy something limited run they sell fast if you wanna get into something else down the line trade up etc. Few sites have 30 to 60 guarantees that if you are not satisfied they will take it back. Predator offers something like this directly. I had a custom and while it was nice the revo just plays so well once you get used to it. The 12.4 plays real good imho. Any way good luck on the hunt cue shopping is always a fun time. If you have a place that sells production cues go hit some you might change your mind on a custom.

CRJ

After spending 30 minutes with the Peschauer Pro series/Revo 11.8 combo, I have to say the Revo is incredible and build quality of the butt is phenomenal.

I ordered this combo without trying it first, and I agree with the poster above regarding knowing what you want. I wasn’t ordering a 1 of 1 custom, or talking to a cue maker, but a big thanks to Dave at Seyberts Billiards Supply. I knew the exact feel I was going for and trying to replicate the hit of a snooker cue is not an everyday ask. We spent a lot of time talking about joints, shafts and deflection. The shipping was fast and the customer service was incredible.

I think the best advice in the thread that has come up is knowing what you want, then being able to articulate that in a specific way. That will open up your options and allow you to buy without trying, which can be hard for some at these price points.

Thanks!