EARL STRICKLAND Returns to TEAM USA

VVP

Registered
Reading between the lines from JJ's commentary at the International Open that is live right now I believe Matchroom Pool had a big hand in this. JJ said something to the effect that he learned that Earl will be on the team ...maybe not his exact words. He didn't offer any big support for Earl. This is a joke. Why not give a newcomer a chance if they are trying to build a team????

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Hope they bring back Michaela Tabb

MOSCONI-DY4-STRICKLAND17-1.jpg

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...so it definitely isn't a "we've got no one, let's settle for Earl" thing.
I don't want to be disrespectful, but who are this much better players who have to stay at home because MR just wants to put up a show?

If it would be for the entertainment or UK TV rating, someone like Chris Melling or Darren Appleton would make the cut for Europe every year, but still we see players like Alcaide, Kazakis, Kaci...

The cruel truth is, that the US only has 7 or 8 players of international standard.
And since Bergman for some reason chooses to not compete in top level events and somehow Styer isn't on MR wishlist, we see the comeback of Earl.

Don't get me wrong, Earl has earned his legendary status and reducing him to his ability to cause drama, doesn't do justice to his big career.
But the Europeans wouldn't even think about bringing back players like Souquet, Immonen, Appleton, Ortmann or even Hohmann, at least as long as they have not earned their place against a big amount of younger and hungrier players.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
how bout an invite 8+- player mini tourny for final spot

$1K entry

Double elim race to 9 until final

Final race to 5 (winner bracket winner must lose twice)

i'd invite: Kieth M, Dechaine, Chohan, Roberts, Oscar, Styer, ?, ?.

Could be interesting & fun

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do I get in touch with Earl? I'm sure he won't mind another paid sponsor. If he's going across the pond, might as well make as much cash as he can. I'm ready and willing to sponsor Earl. If anyone knows how to contact him, let me know. I spent a weekend with Earl when he played Archer in 2013 in Nebraska. That most fun I ever had a pool tourney. Time to pay it forward, lol
Try Fusco's in Philly. He was house pro last time i chk'd.

Reactions: KRJ

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
all of you who think this is bad, who else do we really have in the US... the mullet brothers really... Corey blows it every time, worse player ever in the cup.
Add Bergman and Oscar and let's take it down!

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
all of you who think this is bad, who else do we really have in the US... the mullet brothers really... Corey blows it every time, worse player ever in the cup.

Isn't Woodword (sp?) on the team?

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Bergman won't play in anything, don't know if it's covid fear or what, but everything he's been signed up for, he's a no show.

Jaden

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
The more I think about it the more I like the idea of Earl. I was in Vegas in 2013. I watched Earl slap his cue against something ( maybe the ground?) and then sight down it and bend it back to straight.
At the time I was disappointed but now I think back and it was very memorable. I have come to expect these outbursts and am strangely ok with it.

I believe that the Euros enjoy Earl and MR does what they need to do to put butts in seats.

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reading between the lines from JJ's commentary at the International Open that is live right now I believe Matchroom Pool had a big hand in this. JJ said something to the effect that he learned that Earl will be on the team ...maybe not his exact words. He didn't offer any big support for Earl. This is a joke. Why not give a newcomer a chance if they are trying to build a team????
Yeah that’s not surprising. Earl being on the team goes against everything JJ has said for two years about how he wants to fill the team. It’s a move by Matchroom and it worked. It’s all the online groups are talking about today and it will more than likely turn into a train wreck and thats probably what they are hoping for. Plenty of sound bites and clips for social media of Earl being Earl. Seems like MR is saying the US probably won’t be competitive so might as well make it a show.

Reactions: VVP

MSchaffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not kidding when I say that this is a great pick. I am very excited to watch him play. He is the most talented player on the team except for maybe Shane. He just cant focus for long races in long tournaments, but a race to 5? Gotta be one of the best in the world still.