EARL STRICKLAND Returns to TEAM USA

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eleven(so far) pages of takes/replies that would NOT have happened without Earl's making the team. Matchroom didn't get where they are by being stupid. Its either going to be exciting as hell or one massive trainwreck. Matchroom wins either way.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eleven(so far) pages of takes/replies that would NOT have happened without Earl's making the team. Matchroom didn't get where they are by being stupid. Its either going to be exciting as hell or one massive trainwreck. Matchroom wins either way.
Good point.

I don't think there is a person on the planet that knows more about a pool table then Earl. Just hoping he shows up with a mental game as well as a physical game.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Good point.

I don't think there is a person on the planet that knows more about a pool table then Earl. Just hoping he shows up with a mental game as well as a physical game.
Don't think I'd go THAT far. There are plenty of people that know more about both pool AND pool tables than Earl; however, there is almost no one living that knows more about being a champion pool player OR about winning the mosconi cup.

Jaden

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In case anybody was wondering my sources tell me Earl has received an exemption from the mullet rule and will be on the team. I'm a bit disappointed because I was looking forward to Earl rocking a mullet.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't think I'd go THAT far. There are plenty of people that know more about both pool AND pool tables than Earl; however, there is almost no one living that knows more about being a champion pool player OR about winning the mosconi cup.

Jaden
Problem is Earl's mental state is fragile to put it mildly. Takes so little these days to set him off. Those Brit fans will be hell-bent on getting him to explode. Book it.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jaden
I think I'll stand by that statement.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every great opinion on sports performance links actual peak physical performance to mental states that effectively control emotion - the latest book out "Winning" - published in 2021 -by Michael Jordan & Kobe Bryant's former personal coach, devotes an entire chapter to the importance of keeping emotions in check during times when in competition.
Earl still displays great physical ability at the pool table IMO - he did show some nice 14.1 work prior to his blow up last week, and he is still undefeated (3-0) in the ongoing Intl 9 ball in Norfolk as of this writing .

So, a toss - up, sort of, which Earl shows up at the Mosconi- I think that is why he is there, it is drama, it is anticipation, it is risky, and it has the potential, at least, to be a turnaround performance from a living legend- ALL of this SELLS in sports!

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
We're any of the other 9 or so MC's Earl were as ever a "train wreck", asking for a friend ;)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We're any of the other 9 or so MC's Earl were as ever a "train wreck", asking for a friend ;)
He's not anywhere near where he used to be. Playing wise or upstairs. I hope he does well but i just see a melt-down coming. Sad that such a great player is being reduced to what amounts to a side-show. BTW, last time he played('13) was, iirc, the 2nd worst beating in MC history(11-2).

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
He's not anywhere near where he used to be. Playing wise or upstairs. I hope he does well but i just see a melt-down coming. Sad that such a great player is being reduced to what amounts to a side-show.
Oh, come on. If we can put a dementia patient in the White House, surely, we can let a hyper guy play pool that 99.99% of the planet is not going to watch ;)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And yet, they are letting SVB shoot again in 2021 after that ass kicking back then. Tell me it's not so ;)
Who would you have take his place? Point is Earl is a 60yr old maybe top-50(?????) mental case. He got chosen by MR strictly as carnival side-show. I haven't watched but maybe three matches in the last four MC's but i might have to sweat the Earl show. Need to contact Ladbrokes on getting a 'when will Earl go off' bet. ;)

8intheside

I was shocked to see Earl being chose. However who who knows? Maybe Earl can get into the zone and recapture that old magic! Besides it’s not like we have a large amount of talent to choose from anyways. Maybe Earl could provide a much needed spark to the American team.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Who would you have take his place? Point is Earl is a 60yr old maybe top-50(?????) mental case. He got chosen by MR strictly as carnival side-show. I haven't watched but maybe three matches in the last four MC's but i might have to sweat the Earl show. Need to contact Ladbrokes on getting a 'when will Earl go off' bet. ;)
Dude, I was making a point. You said the last time Earl played they lost badly. I only pointed out that SVB was on that team then too ;)

Earl is a 60 year old, TOP 8 in the USA per Fargo.

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think they'll probably pair Earl up with SVB, which hopefully will keep him calm. I was in europe a few years ago for the World Cup of Pool when they played together, and Earl was fine even with a hostile crowd.

Reactions: KRJ

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With the
Your right on the money. The fans there will go after Earl relentlessly in the hopes he will completely lose it. Matchroom undoubtedly knows and expects this so I guess we all will have to watch and hope Earl does the impossible and plays great and behaves like the champion he is.. Chances of that are.............
I got a feeling he's gonna run out from everywhere.

Now let's get Mike Dechaine on the team to so we could actually win this.