SVB to Kick Off High Run Attempts

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Transparency is always welcomed but transparency also welcomes criticism. I don't think the size of the pockets is concerning but the geometry is. The mount and throat of the pockets in the pic provided appear to be the same size which makes the pocket "parallel" and "easy". A 4" pocket cut this way is easier than a properly cut 4.25" pocket, especially for professional players. Depending on pocket size, the pockets should be cut to 141-143 degrees. The pockets in question appear to be 137-138 degrees, I don't think this was done with intent but it is worth pointing out in the event the promoters want to correct it. Below is an example of a properly cut 4.125" pocket. The mouth measures 4.125", the throat 3.5".

49603456301_6bf97eb126_b.jpg
I don't know about the "properly" part. Wide facing angles often times will reject well struck balls just because of the rebound angle. I much prefer a tighter pocket that accepts well struck balls than looser pockets that reject them.

Jaden

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
OK, all that is great about JS’ run — but bottom line, I and others — remain unconvinced.

Don’t like? Sorry. Not sorry. I have no idea why that bothers you so much and I don’t need John’s or anyone else’s clearance to form my own opinion or tell me where I can air it.

Lastly, I don’t believe any decision on JS’ participation has been made. As BC said just earlier in this thread: maybe at some point he will be invited. In any case, it’s an invitational, not an open event, so that’s just the way it is.

If you don’t like it I encourage you to go set up a table, assemble a tech crew, get on social media, and put up the money to attract the pros. Good luck with all that. I’ve been a witness to what it takes and it ain’t so easy.

Lou Figueroa
The only problem with not inviting JS is that you create the perception that your only goal is to discredit both his ability AND his high run. If he were to come and not perform as well as the other players, then your point would be better made, but if he comes and outperforms the other players or has a good showing, then it degrades the perception about your argument.

Either way, the actuality of the argument is weak. He got the record, there's more evidence that he did than ANY previous record and to keep up the lack of acceptance just seems petty and personal.

Jaden

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know about the "properly" part. Wide facing angles often times will reject well struck balls just because of the rebound angle. I much prefer a tighter pocket that accepts well struck balls than looser pockets that reject them.

Jaden
Facings should not be parallel.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then the naysayers will say it was done on a gaffe table with goofy pockets. LOL.

The reality of today’s world is that there will *always* be naysayers regardless of the endeavor.

As a wise man once said, “If we made the table out of gold, some people would want to know why we didn’t make it out of silver.”

Lou Figueroa

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The reality of today’s world is that there will *always* be naysayers regardless of the endeavor.

As a wise man once said, “If we made the table out of gold, some people would want to know why we didn’t make it out of silver.”

Lou Figueroa
Goldentable....I like it!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only problem with not inviting JS is that you create the perception that your only goal is to discredit both his ability AND his high run. If he were to come and not perform as well as the other players, then your point would be better made, but if he comes and outperforms the other players or has a good showing, then it degrades the perception about your argument.

Either way, the actuality of the argument is weak. He got the record, there's more evidence that he did than ANY previous record and to keep up the lack of acceptance just seems petty and personal.

Jaden

People will draw all kinds of conclusions no matter what — it’s unavoidable and frankly not something we’re concerned about.

Lou Figueroa

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Perception is ok in CTE, but way to the side of any argument to be made to allow js to twist this into being about him. Period..
He stopped playing 14.1 competitively in the fall if 2018 and continued with his quest into May of 2019.
It’s now been thirty months since he played competitively 14.1.
That total time of non competition has now exceeded three years.
John has discredited himself and his high run without any assistance from others.
Stop with the gang buster theories.
John asked the pros to give him a couple of years in the limelight to try to monetize his accomplishment.
They have all, in fact, generously granted his request and they, to a man are moving on with their own best interests, not what pleases John.
JUST SAYING.
Not entirely accurate.

And that was the last major 14.1 event until last week.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll watch those videos too. If it's 14.1 I'll watch it.

look up american 14.1 straight pool championship on facebook, under the tab videos there are many very good commentated matches, all free and no facebook account needed.

one of the best tournaments this year for me. and probably one of the best straight pool tournaments ever, considering the field, table difficulty and play quality.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... He stopped playing 14.1 competitively in the fall if 2018 and continued with his quest into May of 2019.
It’s now been thirty months since he played competitively 14.1.
That total time of non competition has now exceeded three years. ...
Schmidt played in the American Straight Pool Championship in Oct. 2019 and in the "World" 14.1 event in Dec. 2019. Those events were not held in 2020. Where do you get your information?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John asked the pros to give him a couple of years in the limelight to try to monetize his accomplishment.
They have all, in fact, generously granted his request and they, to a man are moving on with their own best interests, not what pleases John.
JUST SAYING.
Do you really believe that is the reason why someone hasn't attempted to break 626? John's request wasn't granted, there simply was no incentive to try. Guaranteed if someone put up a sizable amount of money shortly after John's run to anyone who broke it, we would have had a long line of players attempting high runs. It was a passion for John to break 526, a passion other players don't have. This new endeavor has the missing ingredient: financial incentive.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There’s quite a difference in passion and narcissism.
Had he been passionate about the Mosconi526, he would have devoted his quest to exceed upon the real statistics of equalization.
Instead he pulled what he new and did best, a hustle.
If he had been a card player, it would be said that he stacked the deck in his favor.
Same as in a hustle, he searched high and low for every advantage that he could to get into a favorable position. Even to the last days of his 1100 attempts, he was still laying the hustler groundwork.
He could never have convinced any 14.1 pool player to come compete against him in either venue, with all of these advantages stacked into his favor.
Yet, here you can choose to believe whatever you want to.
It’s freeeeeee.
You have to be passionate to purse something involving extreme mental fatigue such as a 14.1 high run. I get frustrated when I miss the 6B in the midst of a 3 pack. I couldn't imagine scratching on a 400+ run then starting all over. It takes passion and perseverance to have another go. I think every professional at the top of their field has a bit of narcissism in them. It is what it is.

What advantages? Are you one of the purists who believe he should have made his attempts on exactly the same equipment as Mosconi did? Including, but not limited to: dirty mud balls, slow cloth, Rambow cue with maple shaft, 8' x 4' table with 5" pockets, no A/C and wearing a sport coat? Times change and equipment improves; one of the reasons why I'm not a fan of comparing performances from different eras across all sports. The dude ran 626 balls consecutively as corroborated by the Billiard Congress of America, the only governing body in pool in this country. It's your prerogative to believe it or not believe it but 626 is the record, for better or worse. We will see what this new endeavor yields. I'm all for someone running a 700. I think it would be good for pool. Realistically, I'd be surprised if someone puts together a run of 500+.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have to be passionate to purse something involving extreme mental fatigue such as a 14.1 high run. I get frustrated when I miss the 6B in the midst of a 3 pack. I couldn't imagine scratching on a 400+ run then starting all over. It takes passion and perseverance to have another go. I think every professional at the top of their field has a bit of narcissism in them. It is what it is.

What advantages? Are you one of the purists who believe he should have made his attempts on exactly the same equipment as Mosconi did? Including, but not limited to: dirty mud balls, slow cloth, Rambow cue with maple shaft, 8' x 4' table with 5" pockets, no A/C and wearing a sport coat? Times change and equipment improves; one of the reasons why I'm not a fan of comparing performances from different eras across all sports. The dude ran 626 balls consecutively as corroborated by the Billiard Congress of America, the only governing body in pool in this country. It's your prerogative to believe it or not believe it but 626 is the record, for better or worse. We will see what this new endeavor yields. I'm all for someone running a 700. I think it would be good for pool. Realistically, I'd be surprised if someone puts together a run of 500+.

I think the possibility of a very high run is a strong possibility.

At the American 14.1 I think it was JF who told BC that he runs 200. When Bobby asked him how many times he did that Josuha said, "I run 200 every day."

Lou Figueroa

Last edited: