how are ya'll doing in league ?

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barely beat a pretty strong 3 last night in 9 ball and went rackless against a 4 in 8 ball.

I can't imagine the pressure of being a 9 in 9 ball and playing a lower-level player. I get really stressed playing 2s and 3s and I'm a 7.

One of my biggest mistakes lately has been playing for small positional windows to keep my runout going rather than playing for larger positional windows where I'm guaranteed to see the ball.

My speed control is usually a little off under pressure, and I'll end up hooking myself playing offense, then kicking and either missing or selling out. Then they run 3-4 balls off that. Repeat that 2-3 times throughout the match and suddenly I'm in a huge hole. I need to start playing a much more cautious game against the lower-ranked players and not giving up anything easy and avoiding giving up BIH at all costs. Heck, even me scoring 6-7 points in an inning is still "losing" against a 2 or 3 if they answer back with a 4 ball run of their own.

LOL, as an SL9 I can personally attest to NOT wanting to play 2's or 3's.

If you have a 2 on the fence of moving up and they're shooting well, they may get a 3 or 4 ball run once in a while and it doesn't take long for them to get to 18-19 (forgot what the number is).

But this kind of goes back to the last few posts - i.e.

I believe I have this story somewhere else in here but basically another captain was joking they had their "secret weapon" for that night, jokingly I said "bring it on". He puts up his 1....

I had never seen this person play before so I wasn't sure if he was joking. After 1 practice stroke from my opponent I realized this could get very ugly for him - I really don't think he's ever made 3 balls in a row. He has some physical/mental issues but he's a super nice guy and not wanting to be "that guy" I took it very easy in the beginning. But after a while I realized I should probably just end it and wrapped up the last few racks.

Point being, the moment I heard SL1 I thought, shit, better be on point tonight.

LOL

BlueRaider

Registered
LOL, as an SL9 I can personally attest to NOT wanting to play 2's or 3's.

If you have a 2 on the fence of moving up and they're shooting well, they may get a 3 or 4 ball run once in a while and it doesn't take long for them to get to 18-19 (forgot what the number is).

But this kind of goes back to the last few posts - i.e.

I believe I have this story somewhere else in here but basically another captain was joking they had their "secret weapon" for that night, jokingly I said "bring it on". He puts up his 1....

I had never seen this person play before so I wasn't sure if he was joking. After 1 practice stroke from my opponent I realized this could get very ugly for him - I really don't think he's ever made 3 balls in a row. He has some physical/mental issues but he's a super nice guy and not wanting to be "that guy" I took it very easy in the beginning. But after a while I realized I should probably just end it and wrapped up the last few racks.

Point being, the moment I heard SL1 I thought, shit, better be on point tonight.

LOL
Getting to 55 to their 19 or 25 or whatever is super tough. Going to 75 would make me just feel like giving up, especially if they were even approaching 10 and I wasn't at the halfway mark yet. Of course, as a 9 you're making fewer mistakes and running more balls than me.

And yeah, I've only seen one SL1 thus far, and she was bad enough that I'd actually be happy about that matchup. She was missing BIH frequently and couldn't make balls that were just outside of being hangers. But I've played 2s and 3s who, when coached, can not just kick out of safeties, but kick and make the ball! And of course those tend to be the ones who can make any ball they can see but just generally have no ability to play position. So BIH + an easy layout = them being at least 1/4th of the way to their winning point total.

I kinda like it, though, as it forces me to play extra well. 4s-6s are usually fairly easy outs for me, because they've gotta make enough balls where I don't feel too much pressure and can get comfortable and in a rhythm pretty quickly.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Getting to 55 to their 19 or 25 or whatever is super tough. Going to 75 would make me just feel like giving up, especially if they were even approaching 10 and I wasn't at the halfway mark yet. Of course, as a 9 you're making fewer mistakes and running more balls than me.

And yeah, I've only seen one SL1 thus far, and she was bad enough that I'd actually be happy about that matchup. She was missing BIH frequently and couldn't make balls that were just outside of being hangers. But I've played 2s and 3s who, when coached, can not just kick out of safeties, but kick and make the ball! And of course those tend to be the ones who can make any ball they can see but just generally have no ability to play position. So BIH + an easy layout = them being at least 1/4th of the way to their winning point total.

I kinda like it, though, as it forces me to play extra well. 4s-6s are usually fairly easy outs for me, because they've gotta make enough balls where I don't feel too much pressure and can get comfortable and in a rhythm pretty quickly.

Yep, 75 is up there and their number is so low there's no room for error. The moment I see an SL1 or 2 make more than 2 balls in a row I know it's time to start locking them up and getting BIH :)

I was in a tournament once playing an SL 3, she needed 3 points and I needed 30, I beat her by 3 ;) Was a good time and she was a good sport about it.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
I had a huge problem of playing to my opponents ability, still do occasionally, you'll just have to work through it.

My issue is this, I'm a nice guy so I don't want to walk up and just annihilate lower level players because then it's no fun for them and they don't play - and that's what this is about.

I have found that it makes it much more fun if you actually help them once in a while. If they miss a shot you know just tell them why they missed it, etc. Or when you make a good shot, or bad shot, explain to them what you were doing.

Trust me, you'll get over beating them :)
Haha. You Nailed it , it is the nice guy syndrome. I don,t gamble because i hate to lose, but i also hate to take someones money. Pool is a hobby for me, not a job.

I am often asked to help the low level players. My rank does not represent my knowledge and ability. I always help out the folks, and warn them about rules. Beat my opponent easily this week. A solid bca 5. Owner came over to watch me play, I suspect i might move to a 5. He only started me at 4 because i had no fargo and he told me he was watching me closely.

my regular match up for practice is a solid bca 6. We play straight up and he usually gets 5/3 in a race to 5 8ball. Often get him hill hill and maybe 20% of the time i will get the race.

I just have trouble with low levels i hate playing safe against them.

Your sl 1 story is similar to a game i had. Mini barbox tournament mentally handicapped fellow played with us. Sweet guy, downs syndrome. I ran the table, left perfect shot on the 8, and couldn't do it to him. I scratched instead gave him the game. I complemented him on beating me, he was so happy he won. No money in ot for me but he got to tell people he beat me

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
That is interesting and I think you're new to BCA if I'm not mistaken, I bet that has something to do with it. Once you get to know everyone and are more comfortable I'm guessing you'll start taking command of those lower level players ;)

I'm also guessing you don't gamble much?

i dont gamble because in the past it didnt make me want to focus more. it could be different now, thanks for reminding me its worth a shot.

about lowers. my buddy just said something that made alot of sense to me, when they miss early they make a big mess of the table, rather than a 500 that may get lazy and miss a ball and leave me free to get out or lock him up.

i usually play better against unknown people, and usually play my best when nervous and know im in a good match where any mistake i`ll lose.

i usually play worse against people i know well since i take them much less serious than a stranger i want to beat. there is no tension and im guilty of getting lazy.

any of this make sense lol?

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
last night end of the first season of 3man team bca
i was on a mission since i didnt do well wed night.

broke and ran match one, the only person that would be a problem to me on the team from last night.

cleared the other 2 easy enough.

wanted to go out on top, went out on top 4 weeks no losses,
the season was longer but i got in on the last month.
its small and petty but feels good lol 12-0

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i dont gamble because in the past it didnt make me want to focus more. it could be different now, thanks for reminding me its worth a shot.

about lowers. my buddy just said something that made alot of sense to me, when they miss early they make a big mess of the table, rather than a 500 that may get lazy and miss a ball and leave me free to get out or lock him up.

i usually play better against unknown people, and usually play my best when nervous and know im in a good match where any mistake i`ll lose.

i usually play worse against people i know well since i take them much less serious than a stranger i want to beat. there is no tension and im guilty of getting lazy.

LOL, yep, it all makes sense. I don't gamble because I'm not driven by money in general. When I was younger I gambled a lot, not constantly but wasn't afraid of it. In all honesty, even a friend said I play better when I gamble, I just don't care about the money and I simply enjoy the technical aspect of the game better.

Lowers - yeah, high level players don't muck up the table often because it's their goal to NOT touch anything on the table but lower level players play whack-away. One way to look at it is this, just know the table will be different so don't have a set pattern in your head, this way it's easier to deal with the problem when you get there. I've thought about literally turning around so I don't see what happens.

If I walk into a bar and there's 1 guy playing pool I don't care if he's a 1 or SVB, if nobody is watching I'll generally shoot lights out. I have a pretty good grasp that the table is my enemy, not my opponent. If I play in a big tourney the nerves are NOT from my opponent, it's from the audience ;) It took me a long time to figure that out actually.

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I spoke too soon in my last post, They raised me to a 6 this week. Lost both of my matches against really good 6's this week. A couple small mistakes cost me each match but I was super comepetitive in each rack. I was pretty happy about that. It was a weird week because 1/2 of my team was in vegas (they are on another team in a different division) so double jeopardy was a little chaotic trying to keep score and juggle matches with only 4 people. I did kick some butt in my one 9 ball match this week though, beat a SL4 17-3 in 9 innings.

BlueRaider

Registered

There's nothing worse than dropping a rack in league to a lower-level player and letting them break. Their break sucks, they leave clusters everywhere, and their first few shots are usually chaotic and they do nothing to help my chances of getting out. And they always seem to miss safe. Again why I love playing 5s. They tend to play much cleaner games but are more likely to hook themselves after makes than hook me after misses, lol.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's nothing worse than dropping a rack in league to a lower-level player and letting them break. Their break sucks, they leave clusters everywhere, and their first few shots are usually chaotic and they do nothing to help my chances of getting out. And they always seem to miss safe. Again why I love playing 5s. They tend to play much cleaner games but are more likely to hook themselves after makes than hook me after misses, lol.
Your last sentence describes me perfectly lol.

I have not posted the last 3 weeks and had to look up some of my matches lately so here goes.

3 weeks ago. Played 9 ball first against a 5 and lost 38-45 in a 38 -46 race. Then later i played the same guy 8 ball and won 4-2 in a 4-4 race.

2 weeks ago i played another 5 in 8 ball and lost 4-3 in a 4-4 race. I played the same guy in 9 ball where i am a 6 and he is a 5. I won 46-22 in a 46-38 race. The score was 14-6 i believe. Will have to look that up again.

Laat week i played 9 ball first against another 6 and won 46-19. Score was 18-2. Then i faced the same player later in 8 ball and lost 4-0 in a 4-4 race. Unexplainable fellas. I found wveey way there is to lose. First rack i rattled the pocket on an easy 8 and he runs out..
2nd rack . i scratch on my last ball trting to get on the 8 and he runs out.
3rd rack i rattle the pocket on my last ball and he runs out.
4th rack i roll the cue ball a couple inches too far on a safe and he runs out. Its the first time in years i have been shut out in i ball by some ime my same level.

Now here is something puzzling but not surprising because i do it almost every session..

That is flip flop my win percentage in 8 and 9 ball.

Last session i won mvp in 8 ball with a 11-1 record and came in last in 9 ball with a 2-9 record.
This session so far i am in first place in 9 ball and in next to last im 8 ball. Didnt remember to look at the number of matches played so far. Will post the stats next time.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your last sentence describes me perfectly lol.

I have not posted the last 3 weeks and had to look up some of my matches lately so here goes.

3 weeks ago. Played 9 ball first against a 5 and lost 38-45 in a 38 -46 race. Then later i played the same guy 8 ball and won 4-2 in a 4-4 race.

2 weeks ago i played another 5 in 8 ball and lost 4-3 in a 4-4 race. I played the same guy in 9 ball where i am a 6 and he is a 5. I won 46-22 in a 46-38 race. The score was 14-6 i believe. Will have to look that up again.

Laat week i played 9 ball first against another 6 and won 46-19. Score was 18-2. Then i faced the same player later in 8 ball and lost 4-0 in a 4-4 race. Unexplainable fellas. I found wveey way there is to lose. First rack i rattled the pocket on an easy 8 and he runs out..
2nd rack . i scratch on my last ball trting to get on the 8 and he runs out.
3rd rack i rattle the pocket on my last ball and he runs out.
4th rack i roll the cue ball a couple inches too far on a safe and he runs out. Its the first time in years i have been shut out in i ball by some ime my same level.

Now here is something puzzling but not surprising because i do it almost every session..

That is flip flop my win percentage in 8 and 9 ball.

Last session i won mvp in 8 ball with a 11-1 record and came in last in 9 ball with a 2-9 record.
This session so far i am in first place in 9 ball and in next to last im 8 ball.
I am 3-6 in 8 ball
I am 5-3 in 9 ball.. Just puzzles the heck out of me fellas how that happens almost every session.

Coyote501

APA: Last night I went up against a hot shooting 6 that was 9-0. (I'm a 4.) I lost, got swept actually, but I made him work for it. Damn near ran the table on him in game 2. Game 3 went 15 innings, lots of defense.........LOL. Only my 2nd time shooting on the table we shot on, and it cost me 2 games. The ball had some weird roll to it a couple times. And thats not an excuse, I shot really well and lost. Disappointed that I lost, but not disappointed in how I shot.

BlueRaider

Registered
I put together nearly a "complete" night last night. Went rackless against a 5 in 8-ball and then beat a strong 7 in 9-ball.

The 9-ball match was a nice eye-opener because I took some risks that didn't work out (went for low-percentage shots when I should have played safe) and those mistakes turned into a quick 10+ points for my opponent each time. I was up on him 40-15 at one point and ended up only beating him by 5 points.

It's interesting how, among higher-level SLs, bar box 9-ball can be so heavily influenced by lucky leaves after misses and bad leaves after the break. Twice my opponent hooked me after missing but I never had that fortune, and I hooked myself after a break and he hooked me after a dry break.

Not being able to pushout is really punishing, especially when you're BADLY hooked and almost guaranteed to give up BIH against someone who is liable to run that rack out and then grab more points from the next rack.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Not being able to pushout is really punishing, especially when you're BADLY hooked and almost guaranteed to give up BIH against someone who is liable to run that rack out and then grab more points from the next rack.
My main complaint with APA 9-ball.

I've heard several reasons why it's not allowed in APA but the one I keep hearing over and over is that it is too difficult to explain the rule to the lower skill level players. WTH??? Low skill levels do NOT equate to low intelligence. If a dumbass like myself can learn the rule...anybody can. And it's not THAT difficult to begin with.

Another reason I hear is that it gives the lower skill level players a better chance. Again...WTH??? If a lower skill level makes a ball on the break and hooks themselves, gives ball-in-hand to a high skill level player, how does that help the lower skill level player by not being able to push-out? Many of the higher skill level players are going to get all (or most) of that rack.

Maybe there is a better reason, but I ain't seeing it. Personally, I think a push-out rule would be very beneficial to a lower skill level player.

Maniac

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I actually played a decent match last night. Nothing earth shattering, just not as awful as I've been playing the last 6 months. Ran a few balls at a time regularly, my misses weren't of the WTF variety 😉, got out when I was supposed to. Admittedly, I was playing a 4, if it were a 5 or 6 they likely would have punished my misses more. Still, I'll take the improvement.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
I'm done with apa for the time
I don't know if I have to stay on a team all the way till March or not to be able to still play the regionals that I got into from winning a singles board.
I'll just jump on a team near then, if not meh,

Keeping to bca for the time being as it's just smarter money wise, getting money back, a little savings account never a bad idea.
and of course less drama, like none is great to

BlueRaider

Registered
I'm done with apa for the time
I don't know if I have to stay on a team all the way till March or not to be able to still play the regionals that I got into from winning a singles board.
I'll just jump on a team near then, if not meh,

Keeping to bca for the time being as it's just smarter money wise, getting money back, a little savings account never a bad idea.
and of course less drama, like none is great to
The APA drama is indeed ridiculous. I always thought people were exaggerating but it's really true in my experience.

I'm already looking to bail in only my second-ever APA session (double jeopardy), but I'm stuck until cities, apparently. My team has already lost two members from our squad that qualified for cities, so if I quit I think they're screwed.

I'm just over the entire handicap thing. It seems like actually playing pool takes a huge backseat to squabbles over handicaps. People are just obsessed with handicaps. I don't care. I'm a 6/7 right now and if I go up one SL in either, I can't play anymore. The numbers flat out won't work.

My team had a chance to add a 2 or a 3 when we lost those two players, and instead they added two 4s, which put us (well, me) in another bind. And now their solution is for me to run innings when I can. Screw that noise. I don't leave my wife and 1-year-old son for 3-4 hours to bunt balls around. I just want to play my best pool and be challenged and feel good when I win, not "oh crap, did I just screw our team over with those 1-2 inning wins?"

There's a non-APA masters league at another room near me that's also played on 9'ers (I currently play on 7' Diamonds). Smaller teams, no handicaps, bigger tables. Sounds like a dream. After cities I'm out.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
One week after having my first decent match in months...and I revert back to sucking badly. Got skunked by a SL6. Should have won the 3rd game, made a nice 4 ball run with shape to the 8...then donkeyed it.

Admittedly, I did some good things in the games, I just didn't get out. That's always been my biggest challenge, and it screams out against good 5s. and all the 6s and 7s.

Oh well.

Bigkat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
💡💡 So, I'm a 9 in 9 ball & an 7 in 8 ball.. I decided not to play standard APA but instead join the Masters League. They were supposed to have a master's League back in 2013 but it didn't work out. I was initially very excited 🙌🏾🙌🏾. After I join the local Masters league, I found out that it's not a "REAL" MASTERS LEAGUE. Meaning that is not how of a players only due to participation, they opened it up to all skill levels 🤦🏿‍♂️🤦🏿‍♂️ so basically you have threes and fours playing "MASTER'S LEAGUE" and it's the WORST!! ☹️☹️☹️ LOL

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
One week after having my first decent match in months...and I revert back to sucking badly. Got skunked by a SL6. Should have won the 3rd game, made a nice 4 ball run with shape to the 8...then donkeyed it.

Admittedly, I did some good things in the games, I just didn't get out. That's always been my biggest challenge, and it screams out against good 5s. and all the 6s and 7s.

Oh well.
Hang in there, dub. At least you're getting to play. You'll pull out of your slump eventually.

Me....I haven't played pool in several weeks. It started with a bad sinus infection and then my heart went back into afib. I tried to shoot some 9-ball here at the house Monday morning, but after four racks I was totally out of breath and went and took a four-and-a-half hour nap. It exhausted me. Between a thickened and enlarged heart, type-2 diabetes, and afib....I don't stand much of a chance of staying healthy. It sucks.

I'm still hanging as a 7(9b)/6(8b). I'm only winning 25% of my matches in 9-ball but 75% in 8-ball.

Good luck, dub!

Maniac