Exciting End to European Championship

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually just watched it again -- and it wasn't even as bad as I first thought. Who edited the video??? I think I got caught up in the emotion of the miss when I first watched it and it created more of an image in my head than what actually occurred. It's funny how emotion can mislead us. I really thought Filler laid it on real thick, but on 2nd view -- not so.

Calling another man's character into question unnecessarily -- calls my own into question. I'll serve my own ban. :)

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
This is why I said it was a "glimpse" of Filler's character. I don't care how great of a competitor you are, when you see another player fail like that and your reaction is to mock him, that's says something about you. Does it paint the total picture of a man? Of course not.
Mocking is blowing it out of proportion imo. If he mimicked the young man's actions with fist pumps and yelling whatever he did in his native tongue, then ya that would be mocking. Filler looked in his general direction and loudly said "Ya". The most entertaining part of my local league is taking jabs at one another. I hate to think how harshly you'd judge us.

You're right though. It does give a glimpse of Filler's character. I don't happen to see it as a negative.
Much ado about nothing??? Maybe, but it's a pool forum where we converse about such things.
Well, it's a pool forum where we take nearly every opportunity to build mountains out of mole hills...lol. This is yet another example.

My 2 cents... Good on Filler, and I'm willing to bet the young man never prematurely celebrates again...lol

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Wow we're getting real bored aren't we...

I had to watch that a few times to try and find what the turmoil was about. Kid prematurely celebrated and it appears as though Filler took a rather minor jab at him. If memory serves they spoke to each other and shook hands a couple of times as well.

Why isn't anyone commenting on celebrating early...?

Much ado about nothing imo
Clearly nothing worth getting in a tizzy about here.

Pehlivanovic's early celebration was certainly acceptable to me and so was Filler's behavior after his "back from the dead" victory. They shook hands before the double hill rack and I saw nothing objectionable about the behavior of either one of them.

dumisin

I'm not saying Fillers reaction was right but sometimes you get what you give.
For every action there is a reaction. Emotions run high during competion but it's best to be contained and celebrate when you pocket the last ball for the win.
It's like running into the end zone, high stepping, showboating, taunting and dropping the ball on the 1 yard line with no time left, you deserve the abuse , and players and the media will abuse him.
Hopefully he learned his lesson. Beating Josh Filler is like hitting the lottery for him.
Maybe the next time he is on the match ball he will be humble , and won't get his nose rubbed in it.
exactly he celebrated way to early just because he made a great shot on the 8 ball

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
I actually just watched it again -- and it wasn't even as bad as I first thought. Who edited the video??? I think I got caught up in the emotion of the miss when I first watched it and it created more of an image in my head than what actually occurred. It's funny how emotion can mislead us. I really thought Filler laid it on real thick, but on 2nd view -- not so.

Calling another man's character into question unnecessarily -- calls my own into question. I'll serve my own ban. :)
Lol,,,, I ban myself for a few years at a time. I have a few posts in the last month, I'm overdue.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Clearly nothing worth getting in a tizzy about here.

Pehlivanovic's early celebration was certainly acceptable to me and so was Filler's behavior after his "back from the dead" victory. They shook hands before the double hill rack and I saw nothing objectionable about the behavior of either one of them.
Mr. P's celebration didn't stretch any rule in my book either. I'm sure we all just know what it's like to think we have someone won, just to let it slip. The early celeb just makes it that much worse...lol

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Mr. P's celebration didn't stretch any rule in my book either. I'm sure we all just know what it's like to think we have someone won, just to let it slip. The early celeb just makes it that much worse...lol
Like dropping the football at the one yard line because you're already doing your dance... It happens... karma at its finest

Reactions: sjm

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
He should’ve could’ve would’ve had it though (probably) with that nice break on the hill. That 3 point rule is atrocious IMAEORPP’SHO of course

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member

To be clear, I posted the video because I thought the miss was interesting, not because of Filler. The first time watching the video I didn't even notice what Filler was doing. For online railbirds, someone missing an easy hill shot to win (lose) a major European championship is noteworthy. We all miss important shots at the worst time, even the best. But I also don't think it's wrong to hope for our sport's top player to set a good example for others.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is worth to add that 9-ball is the last discipline in EC marathon and the toughest one. The winner also gets his ticket to the World Games which makes it even more attractive and valuable.
On a final day Filler defeated Feijen 9:8 in 1/4 being down 3:6, 5:8. This match was streamed on EPBF FB page and it's still available to watch for those who's interested.

After that in a semi Joshua had another tough match with a polish player and again was down 1:4, then 3:6 till he caught his gear to win 6 racks in a row to finish 9:6.
So at the end I'm glad he managed to win this gold because he will represent Europe at World Games next year. In my opinion he has better chances at WG...he's capable to win one more title and I believe will be quite motivated while Sanjin hopefully got his lesson and will come stronger next time (ihmo)

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
To be clear, I posted the video because I thought the miss was interesting, not because of Filler. The first time watching the video I didn't even notice what Filler was doing. For online railbirds, someone missing an easy hill shot to win (lose) a major European championship is noteworthy. We all miss important shots at the worst time, even the best. But I also don't think it's wrong to hope for our sport's top player to set a good example for others.
Yes, and I believe I had your intent in mind when I watched the video as well. The comments on Filler's supposed poor sportsmanship made me double and then triple take after the fact.

I've unfortunately missed waaaay too many shots when it boils down to the end. I learn a long time ago however, that celebrating early is nearly as bad as proclaiming "I'll be right back" in a horror movie. 😧

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On a side note Phelivanovic's nearly defeat of Filler shows, that the Balkan area is the hot zone for European pool talent right now.
Kaci came to the top a few years ago and Phelivanovic's is only the top of some very talented youngsters from this area.

It is quite interesting to follow the spread of our sport in Europe.
Coming from Skandinavia to Germany, which were the areas that really produced the first top players, over to the UK, Poland and so on.
Today nearly every country has at least one strong player.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On a side note Phelivanovic's nearly defeat of Filler shows, that the Balkan area is the hot zone for European pool talent right now.
Kaci came to the top a few years ago and Phelivanovic's is only the top of some very talented youngsters from this area.

It is quite interesting to follow the spread of our sport in Europe.
Coming from Skandinavia to Germany, which were the areas that really produced the first top players, over to the UK, Poland and so on.
Today nearly every country has at least one strong player.

and other the other table over the young serbian pecelj stood biting his cue. i believe he finished third.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
i guess i am old school. when you are beating or beat a guy you dont celebrate. you might smile but dont say anything. especially jump around . thats called courtesy.

if someone did it to me and i had a channce to rub it in his face i certainly would.

maybe that comes from watching sports teams do it.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have seen every GREAT player miss hangers! It happens, usually due to a lapse in concentration or just nerves. That miss by Sanjin P. was definitely a missable ball. He should have taken a moment to look at the angle before getting down and shooting. He was still on a high from making the eight ball. Watch how he raises up during his stroke. He'll learn from this mistake.

As far as Filler is concerned I saw nothing wrong with the way he conducted himself. I happen to like watching him play. He can really take care of business and not make a big fuss while doing so. The man is a champion poolplayer, certainly one of the best on the planet. I'd like to see him win a lot of money and be successful at his chosen sport. He worked hard to get where he's at, so he deserves the fruit of his labors.

I once told a very young Shane Van Boening, when he asked me what I thought his chances for success were, "There is always room at the top, if you're good enough." Josh Filler didn't have to ask me that question. He went out there and grabbed it.