Top 10 Reasons to Use an Open Bridge

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
And for my wrist injury, I am unable to shoot with anything but an open bridge, except for some shots where I am shooting side ways along the rail.( as shown in the OP video). So thank you Dr. Dave for making me feel better about having to shoot with an open bridge. I used complain to my opponents that I was handicapped with my wrist injury. I guess I shouldn't use this excuse anymore.

You're welcome. But you still have my permission to try to make your opponents go easy on you because of your wrist. ;)

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What causes the difficulty? Forming the "V?" Getting the desired tip? Something else?
A combination of things. 1) I am naturally left handed. The only thing I did right handed in my life was play pool. The reason for this is that I couldn't make a conventional bridge with my right hand only with my left. I simply could not move my right hand fingers in the necessary manner to make a conventional bridge. 2) I cut off my index finger down to the end of the first knuckle on my left hands index finger in a router table accident. This made making a conventional bridge with my left hand impossible as my index finger is no longer long enough to complete the bridge. So, I was forced to try to make an open bridge with my left hand. This didn't work because my cue tends to come up during my stroke. With a conventional bridge this didn't happen as the finger loop prevented it from happening. With an open bridge the cue simply rises out of the V particularly when any sort of power stroke is needed. This forced me to give up the game. That and the fact that there aren’t any pool halls near me here in North Phoenix.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
A combination of things. 1) I am naturally left handed. The only thing I did right handed in my life was play pool. The reason for this is that I couldn't make a conventional bridge with my right hand only with my left. I simply could not move my right hand fingers in the necessary manner to make a conventional bridge. 2) I cut off my index finger down to the end of the first knuckle on my left hands index finger in a router table accident. This made making a conventional bridge with my left hand impossible as my index finger is no longer long enough to complete the bridge. So, I was forced to try to make an open bridge with my left hand. This didn't work because my cue tends to come up during my stroke. With a conventional bridge this didn't happen as the finger loop prevented it from happening. With an open bridge the cue simply rises out of the V particularly when any sort of power stroke is needed. This forced me to give up the game. That and the fact that there aren’t any pool halls near me here in North Phoenix.

Thanks for the response. I’m sorry to hear about the finger accident and that you seem to have given up the game. If you start playing again, it might be helpful trying to keep your grip and stroking arm more relaxed during the stroke, even with power shot, so the cue doesn’t leave the open bridge.

Best regards,
Dave

chenjy9

I personally have always favored using an open bridge myself, but like it was mentioned earlier in this thread I also shoot in a very low stance with the cue close to touching my chin. Part of it might have also been that I used to not wear a glove and hated talc powder, so using an open bridge lessened the amount of friction burn on flesh. 🤕

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I personally have always favored using an open bridge myself, but like it was mentioned earlier in this thread I also shoot in a very low stance with the cue close to touching my chin. Part of it might have also been that I used to not wear a glove and hated talc powder, so using an open bridge lessened the amount of friction burn on flesh. 🤕

Having an unobscured view of the shaft (with a low stance) and having the least resistance to cue motion are definitely two strong advantages of the open bridge.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if the reason for sticking with the looped bridge is to prevent the cue from coming up during the stroke, i think the problem is the stroke. aside from the break and maybe some extreme power shots your cue shouldn't come up.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
if the reason for sticking with the looped bridge is to prevent the cue from coming up during the stroke, i think the problem is the stroke. aside from the break and maybe some extreme power shots your cue shouldn't come up.

The cue doesn't need to come up, even on power shots (where keeping the grip and arm relaxed can be an advantage).

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
The cue doesn't need to come up, even on power shots (where keeping the grip and arm relaxed can be an advantage).
Of course most shots can be done with an open bridge- i just recommend sometimes on extreme shots where you ll hit the cueball far outside to use a closed bridge.
But yes- if you have an excellent stroke without any flaws, the open bridge does his job of course, too. As you have shown up Dave: there are pro s and "some" contra points.
But not too many have an excellent technique :) and then a closed bridge helps on some shots. With a "perfect" technique even the power break can be done with an open bridge- but there are not too many who decide to use the open bridge here. I pesonally just know maybe 3-4 Professionals who use it from time to time.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Of course most shots can be done with an open bridge- i just recommend sometimes on extreme shots where you ll hit the cueball far outside to use a closed bridge.
But yes- if you have an excellent stroke without any flaws, the open bridge does his job of course, too. As you have shown up Dave: there are pro s and "some" contra points.
But not too many have an excellent technique :) and then a closed bridge helps on some shots. With a "perfect" technique even the power break can be done with an open bridge- but there are not too many who decide to use the open bridge here. I pesonally just know maybe 3-4 Professionals who use it from time to time.

Good points. I suggest the following amended statements:
- you don't need "an excellent stroke without any flaws" to use an open bridge successfully over a wide range of shot types.
- a closed bridge might help some people with poor technique on certain shots.

chenjy9

The good things about closed bridge is they can provide people with a sense of security and they can help combat the urge to jerk up when shooting if your stroke mechanics aren't cemented yet.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
The good things about closed bridge is they can provide people with a sense of security and they can help combat the urge to jerk up when shooting if your stroke mechanics aren't cemented yet.

Agreed. Well stated.

MurrayNevada

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Dr. Dave, I'm an old guy and can no longer get down as low over the table as I once did. I'm finding a very short closed bridge is working for me. When I see videos of Lassiter, Crane and some other old timers they seem to do the same. And they do not get down as low as many of the players today.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dr. Dave, I'm an old guy and can no longer get down as low over the table as I once did. I'm finding a very short closed bridge is working for me. When I see videos of Lassiter, Crane and some other old timers they seem to do the same. And they do not get down as low as many of the players today.

Agreed. Pool players of the past had high stances with closed bridges, even when they were young. Things have changed in pool, and even old snooker players (old and young) had low stances with open bridges. See the beginning of my video.

CapnCarom

Yet another great video, Dr Dave!
I tended to use an open bridge most of the time because I hated the "sticky hand" problem and the mess of using talc etc. Then, probably around 2000, seeing Allison Fisher use a glove for the first time, I decided to try it: this made Huge improvement in the use of a closed bridge for stability - especially power shots, where I had a tendency to lift the cue mid-stroke. Now, I use both bridge types, choice depending on the situation - and Always use a glove, no matter what.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yet another great video, Dr Dave!

Thanks!

I tended to use an open bridge most of the time because I hated the "sticky hand" problem and the mess of using talc etc. Then, probably around 2000, seeing Allison Fisher use a glove for the first time, I decided to try it: this made Huge improvement in the use of a closed bridge for stability - especially power shots, where I had a tendency to lift the cue mid-stroke. Now, I use both bridge types, choice depending on the situation - and Always use a glove, no matter what.

A glove is definitely recommended with a closed bridge (and even an open bridge for some people). It is nice to have the same sliding resistance with every shot, regardless of conditions.

chenjy9

A glove should always be recommended no matter what. Without a glove, the shaft gets dirty and sticky from natural body oils and thus introduces more variable to your stroke. If you can avoid that for something that costs $20, why wouldn't you?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
A glove should always be recommended no matter what. Without a glove, the shaft gets dirty and sticky from natural body oils and thus introduces more variable to your stroke. If you can avoid that for something that costs $20, why wouldn't you?

That's good advice. Some people just don't like using playing gloves. You need to carry them around. They make your hand sweat. You need to wash them. They create a totally different "feel." Etc. I know ... all lame excuses.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed. Pool players of the past had high stances with closed bridges, even when they were young. Things have changed in pool, and even old snooker players (old and young) had low stances with open bridges. See the beginning of my video.
Back when straight pool was king and played mainly as a 1/2 table game with the balls close together an upright stance was easier to see the angles and restricted paths for position.
When these old timers played 9 ball the upright stance was just built in for them.
Just my opinion after 60 years of playing and observing.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Back when straight pool was king and played mainly as a 1/2 table game with the balls close together an upright stance was easier to see the angles and restricted paths for position.

Agreed. And when the game was played well, the shots were mostly easy (especially when the tables had "bigger" pockets like they often did). 9-ball and 10-ball played on tables with tight pockets requires much greater aiming precision.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed. And when the game was played well, the shots were mostly easy (especially when the tables had "bigger" pockets like they often did). 9-ball and 10-ball played on tables with tight pockets requires much greater aiming precision.
Getting lower on long shots tends to give better aiming precision, agreed.