Top 10 Reasons to Use an Open Bridge

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of people read Mosconi's book and thought if you didn't emulate Willie
you were a sap. He rarely used an open bridge.
That's for sure. What do you think he would have done if he grew up and played in this era? He would still be fantastic, but you probably wouldn't recognize his style of play.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always used mostly an open bridge. A few years ago I started bending my ring and middle fingers underneath. My bridge was getting tired from all the flexing. I like the new bridge better. It's very stable.

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps I'm wrong (usually) but it seems that snooker players have to be more precise and more accurate than other pocket billiard players. Pocket size and configuration plus larger table dimensions and ball size lead me to think this. I have never played snooker though. But I don't think I have ever seen a snooker player use anything other than open bridge. Doesn't this suggest that, overall, an open bridge is more desirable?

Geosnookery

I learned billiards playing snooker and have never used a closed bridge. I have no reason to say it’s better or not for ‘pool’. I play pool against excellent players who use a closed bridge. It would be difficult using a closed bridge in Snooker for line of site

What is ‘better’ is to stick with a stroke, stance, bridge, cue, tip, etc for consistency. It’s ok to tweak them but avoid major changes for the sake of changes.

I’ll watch one of Barry Stark’s or Dr Dave’s videos for a subtle improvement in technique and not a major revelation. l also watch them for improving ‘table wisdom’:things to look out for in cueball position, risk/reward, etc.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Perhaps I'm wrong (usually) but it seems that snooker players have to be more precise and more accurate than other pocket billiard players. Pocket size and configuration plus larger table dimensions and ball size lead me to think this. I have never played snooker though. But I don't think I have ever seen a snooker player use anything other than open bridge. Doesn't this suggest that, overall, an open bridge is more desirable?
The prevalent use of the open bridge in snooker most definitely suggests it might be more accurate, especially for long shots requiring precise aim.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn’t read every post in this thread.

Super tired, not editing this. Will do my best as this just crossed my mind.

Bank pool. That’s a reason to shoot with a closed bridge more often than not. When you want a ball to bank short or pinch it, you have to hold the cue more forward and put a “bank” stroke on the CB with a closed bridge. Not sure the shot even works with a open bridge. Soft, floating banks open bridges are ok but aren’t near as reliable.

I know this thread is about open bridges. This is a case where open is generally the wrong idea.

Mastering all bridges is really the only answer. There’s no best-as I said earlier it’s dependent on the shot and where you want to position the CB. Stun shots are a closed bridge thing as well.

Long open pocket speed shots I usually prefer a open bridge or if I’m up in the trees and don’t have a choice. Then open is the plan, Froze to the rail, open again is typically best.

Goes on and on. Takes at least a month to learn 😁😉

Ok maybe longer,
Fatboy

Dr Dave is Fatboy Approved. I’ve been reading his posts for years and years and watched many many videos. While he gets a bit granular sometimes that’s ok-he’s a Dr and that’s what super smart people do. He’s answered many questions about ball reactions I never could figure out the answers to. Just things I’d see come up and know how to do-but never understood the why. Knowing the why can help and alone is interesting. So thx Dr Dave. Maybe we’ll meet someday, you are one of the few people in pool I haven’t met. 👍👍👍

Fatboy is don’t rambling and off to zzzz.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I never gave any thought to the 'difficulty' of forming bridges, (aka: learning how to). Although I'm 95% open. I can and do use a closed bridge when the situation calls for it. This is normally when the mechanics of an open bridge jack up my cue.

Rusty in Montana

I'm a old school guy also that read the book on pool from Willie Mosconi and Nick Varner so I use a open bridge when shooting the cue ball when it's close to a rail or I have to shoot over another ball .

I've yet to try a carbon fiber shaft .

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My problem using an open bridge on ‘power shots: While it may not affect the CB differently, the shaft often gets away and fouls adjoining OBs.

word. I'm finding that using a heavier (in the back) shaft/more forward-balanced cue doesn't leave home as easily

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I’ll have to try that, though us older guys may prefer a more comfortable/upright stance & old-school bridge when loading-up the stroke.
Interesting issue. Which is likely more restrictive: Friction from chin/chest, or added fingers? Lower ‘line-of-sight‘ may improve accuracy, but distress/distraction from arthritic spine may cancel.
Oh it's definitely not for everyone.

As far as friction... Well, these 'additional' points of contact are also 'open', and don't squeeze the cue. So, friction yes, a restriction in movement that I have to force through, no.

Based on my short experience with messing around with closed bridges is this...: If you aren't actually squeezing the cue, then what's the point? I mean if you're not actively squeezing the cue then the dynamics are essentially open but you get to enjoy limited sighting. If you are squeezing the cue then you either using a glove or a ton of some sort of powder. Otherwise you have a progressiving increasing brake as the shaft diameter increases during the forward stroke.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Bank pool. That’s a reason to shoot with a closed bridge more often than not. When you want a ball to bank short or pinch it, you have to hold the cue more forward and put a “bank” stroke on the CB with a closed bridge.
What’s a “bank” stroke? How does it make this shot possible?

Not sure the shot even works with a open bridge.
I’ve “pinched” a lot of bank shots with my open bridge...

pj
chgo

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I've always used mostly an open bridge. A few years ago I started bending my ring and middle fingers underneath. My bridge was getting tired from all the flexing. I like the new bridge better. It's very stable.
I tried that a while back after watching Corey Deuel for a while. I never did get comfortable with it.

With an open bridge I pretty much grip the table with my last three fingers and get the solid feel but that may just be unnecessary tension.

I use a pool version of a snooker stance I guess on most shots. Low on the table, 3 point contact on the cue - chest chin and bridge - but I don’t stand real square. It’s very comfortable for me and keeps the cue snug but I don’t feel like it impedes it in any way.

claymont

JADE
Gold Member
Silver Member
The era I started playing pool in dictated my bridge choice for my first twenty years of play. Back then, there was very little information besides books written by the masters...Mosconi, Lassiter, Martin, Hoppe. They all taught the closed bridge as the preferred method. I took a break from pool for twenty years, when I started playing again, the internet was there with all the information one could absorb. Plus the Philopino's were a force to be reckoned with now. Watching them play was educational for me. I changed my style of play to a mostly open bridge because of them; still use it 👍

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys nailed it earlier, I think.... the biggest advantages is null unless you are actively sighting down the majority of the cue length. I am 6'4". I can not find a comfortable stance where my chin is on the cue, unless I am squatted down like a catcher or bent over like I am trying to touch my toes. Therefore, my chin is 5 or so inches above the cue on most shots. My bridge length is 11", and I find that my bridge hand rarely gets in the line of sight. Closed bridge for me feels much more secure and natural.

middleofnowhere

Registered
FYI, I just posted a new video that explains and demonstrates all advantages of an open bridge. Check it out:

Contents (with timestamp links):
0:00 – Intro
1:00 – 1: Easy to Learn
1:50 – 2: Stable
2:24 – 3: Unobscured View
3:02 – 4: Accurate “V” Guide
3:29 – 5: Centered
4:17 – 6: Low Resistance
4:57 – 7: Versatile
5:37 – 8: More Reach
5:49 – 9: Accurate Pivots
6:31 – 10: Reveals Stroke Flaws
7:47 – Minor Disadvantages
8:33 – Wrap Up

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy!
This is addressed to Dr. Dave. Do you think there is any less deflection due to an open hand bridge? What I am saying is, because the shaft is not being tightly confined it can on it's own move aside a little possibly assisting in less deflection.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I didn’t read every post in this thread.

Super tired, not editing this. Will do my best as this just crossed my mind.

Bank pool. That’s a reason to shoot with a closed bridge more often than not. When you want a ball to bank short or pinch it, you have to hold the cue more forward and put a “bank” stroke on the CB with a closed bridge. Not sure the shot even works with a open bridge. Soft, floating banks open bridges are ok but aren’t near as reliable.

I know this thread is about open bridges. This is a case where open is generally the wrong idea.

Could you post an example of or a link to a shot like this, where you think a closed bridge is required? I would like to give it a try with an open bridge. Thanks.

Mastering all bridges is really the only answer. There’s no best-as I said earlier it’s dependent on the shot and where you want to position the CB. Stun shots are a closed bridge thing as well.

Long open pocket speed shots I usually prefer a open bridge or if I’m up in the trees and don’t have a choice. Then open is the plan, Froze to the rail, open again is typically best.

Goes on and on. Takes at least a month to learn 😁😉

I think there is much less of a need for a closed bridge than you suggest, but thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Dr Dave is Fatboy Approved.

Thank you. Now I will finally be able to sleep at nights. 🤓

I’ve been reading his posts for years and years and watched many many videos. While he gets a bit granular sometimes that’s ok-he’s a Dr and that’s what super smart people do. He’s answered many questions about ball reactions I never could figure out the answers to. Just things I’d see come up and know how to do-but never understood the why. Knowing the why can help and alone is interesting. So thx Dr Dave.

Seriously, thank you for your supportive feedback. I appreciate it. (y)

Maybe we’ll meet someday, you are one of the few people in pool I haven’t met. 👍👍👍

I hope so. Maybe now that I am "retired," I can "get out more." I do plan to be at the next BCA Trade Show. Hopefully, I'll see you there.

Best regards,
Dave

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could you post an example of or a link to a shot like this, where you think a closed bridge is required? I would like to give it a try with an open bridge. Thanks.

I think there is much less of a need for a closed bridge than you suggest, but thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Thank you. Now I will finally be able to sleep at nights. 🤓

Seriously, thank you for your supportive feedback. I appreciate it. (y)

I hope so. Maybe now that I am "retired," I can "get out more." I do plan to be at the next BCA Trade Show. Hopefully, I'll see you there.

Best regards,
Dave
I’ll try and find one, lots to type. I’m very clear on this.
thx

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could you post an example of or a link to a shot like this, where you think a closed bridge is required? I would like to give it a try with an open bridge. Thanks. copied from Dr. Dave.

How about 7 foot straight in shot and draw back 7 foot?
I always shoot that with a closed bridge,never tried an open bridge.