Top 10 Reasons to Use an Open Bridge

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
EVERY Top 3 cushion player in the World uses a, 'Closed' bridge on 99% of shots.

Some, 'Older' players more than younger, use an, 'Open' bridge on, 'Long distance' (9'-9'.6") away from the OB to get a feather hit.

Even when 3C players are frozen to a cushion, 'rarely' do you see them not use the closed, 'Finger loop' bridge.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
EVERY Top 3 cushion player in the World uses a, 'Closed' bridge on 99% of shots.

Some, 'Older' players more than younger, use an, 'Open' bridge on, 'Long distance' (9'-9'.6") away from the OB to get a feather hit.
Here's my explanation for this from the open bridge resource page:

Most 3-cushion players use a closed bridge probably mostly out of tradition tradition, and because that’s how they learned or were taught by others. Also, many of them do not have low stances, so one of the main open bridge advantages does not apply (an unobscured view). Also, due to the heavier CB, the shaft might be more likely to leave an open bridge after the hit when striking the CB off center (which they tend to do a lot), and some people might find this disconcerting.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Here's my explanation for this from the open bridge resource page:

Most 3-cushion players use a closed bridge probably mostly out of tradition tradition, and because that’s how they learned or were taught by others. Also, many of them do not have low stances, so one of the main open bridge advantages does not apply (an unobscured view). Also, due to the heavier CB, the shaft might be more likely to leave an open bridge after the hit when striking the CB off center (which they tend to do a lot), and some people might find this disconcerting.
You're assuming Dave, by evidence of the highlighted word, 'probably.'

Most of the, 'New' blood in 3C comes from the, Korean country, and then from South America. I'm talking about players under the ages of 35.
If the instructors in these countries thought that, (in 3 cushion) an open bridge would serve an advantage on almost every shot, I'm sure they are intuitive and relevant to the, 'Best' fundamentals for 3C are.

Now, don't get me wrong, in the, small games of Caroms, (free game, 1 cushion, Balkline,) the open bridge is used frequently, because of the, 'close proximity' of All 3 balls while gathering. And, not much, (arm stroke) is applied, mostly wrist.

I could expand on this, but, to what end. 'Apples & Oranges!' Like the difference between the 2 games, 'Chess vs Checkers.'

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
You're assuming Dave, by evidence of the highlighted word, 'probably.'

Most of the, 'New' blood in 3C comes from the, Korean country, and then from South America. I'm talking about players under the ages of 35.
If the instructors in these countries thought that, (in 3 cushion) an open bridge would serve an advantage on almost every shot, I'm sure they are intuitive and relevant to the, 'Best' fundamentals for 3C are.

Now, don't get me wrong, in the, small games of Caroms, (free game, 1 cushion, Balkline,) the open bridge is used frequently, because of the, 'close proximity' of All 3 balls while gathering. And, not much, (arm stroke) is applied, mostly wrist.

I could expand on this, but, to what end. 'Apples & Oranges!' Like the difference between the 2 games, 'Chess vs Checkers.'
If you have additional insight to share concerning possible advantages of a closed bridge in 3-cushion, please do so. I’m all ears.