Earl's new cue

ky4some

Registered
In his interview about the upcoming Mosconi Cup, Earl Strickland mentioned he's got a new cue. I've seen a picture and the handle area looks very thick. Anyone seen this or know what the cue is?

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Earl told me at a tournament in MD two years ago that he wasn't working with Mike anymore, but he was still shooting with his cues...he really liked them (I have one, too, it's pretty damn good). He liked the G10 pin on mine and wanted to try one. Who knows? I'll be curious to see, it's probably still a Gulyassy, maybe with a PHX shaft? Whatever he shoots with, it's guaranteed to be a helluva show! :)

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl told me at a tournament in MD two years ago that he wasn't working with Mike anymore, but he was still shooting with his cues...he really liked them (I have one, too, it's pretty damn good). He liked the G10 pin on mine and wanted to try one. Who knows? I'll be curious to see, it's probably still a Gulyassy, maybe with a PHX shaft? Whatever he shoots with, it's guaranteed to be a helluva show! :)

I have a 60” Mike Gulyassy PHX cue and shaft in the For Sale forum.

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recall, oh, probably 15 years ago or so, Earl playing with what looked like a ~80" sneaky pete. He had electrical tape on the handle as a wrap. During the match, he started sighting the cue like a rifle to check the straightness. It must have had a hook in it because he bent it the other way on the table to straighten it out. He played nearly perfect that match and absolutely filleted his opponent. That's when I realized you don't need a $5,000 big name cue to shoot the lights out.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl played the best pool of his life with a $100 white cuetec. There was speculation that he used special shafts (SW, etc)...but no, they were your basic cuetec shafts, which at that time are NOT what they are today. They were horrible. Earl bbq'd the world during that era. All you need is a cue/shaft you like, and your tip. As Ronnie O' Sullivan says...you can get used to any cue - the TIP is everything. Earl says he uses old elkmasters that he has saved for years and years.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl played the best pool of his life with a $100 white cuetec. There was speculation that he used special shafts (SW, etc)...but no, they were your basic cuetec shafts, which at that time are NOT what they are today. They were horrible. Earl bbq'd the world during that era. All you need is a cue/shaft you like, and your tip. As Ronnie O' Sullivan says...you can get used to any cue - the TIP is everything. Earl says he uses old elkmasters that he has saved for years and years.
He did not use the standard fiberglass coated shaft and they were re-tapered close to the way his Meucci's were.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He did not use the standard fiberglass coated shaft and they were re-tapered close to the way his Meucci's were.
One of the two of you is very confidently incorrect :ROFLMAO:

Tobermory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the nineteenth century there was a famous English author named Thomas Babington Macauley. Macauley was extraordinarily sure of himself and his opinions. He was also a member of Parliament. One of the members of Macauley's own party said of him, "I wish I were as sure of any one thing as Tom Macauley is of everything."

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
And you're no Rhodes Scholar. I've met goats that can spell better than you. What's your point? Is pool so special that none of our athletes can act out like all the main stream sport athletes in baseball, football, basketball and cornhole ? lol

Willie Mosconi was a class act, great ambassador.

Earl can play pool, but is no Mosconi, or Scott Lee.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
his latest tournament result: DQ for physically assaulting a fellow player. he would have been in the final stage and guaranteed money if he stayed sane for another few minutes. i don't know if that answers your questions..
Was that the recently streamed 14.1 match where he was only a few points from winning & then raked the balls? (upset with noise from adjoining tables?)
I‘ll say one thing about Earl. Admittedly ‘no Mosconi’, but he sure plays with the same ease & confidence. Incredibly smooth & a joy to watch when he‘s ‘in gear’.