Earl's new cue

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't mean to hijack the thread but the topic evolved into the behavior of pool players. I would assert people watch pool to see their ability with a cue and don't care much about the personality.

When I lived in St Louis I knew a man named Tom Fitzgerald who worked at the ballpark as a kid in the 1920's. He said the only time the St Louis Browns drew decent crowds was when Babe Ruth and the Yankees came to town. He also said the joke in St Louis was Yankee Stadium was known as the house that Ruth built. In St Louis a house of ill repute on West Pine was known as the house that Ruth built. Tom told me the address and the name of the woman who ran the place.

People showed up to watch Ruth play in spite of his personal behavior. He hit a home run out of the ballpark through a window of a car dealership across Grand Ave once. That's what people cared about when it came to the Babe. He did things nobody else could do.

Tom also owned a bar or two in North St Louis. He told me he had a pool table but removed it because the patrons were using the cues on each other. If he had written a book about St Louis it would have been a best seller.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Earl on his new cue. A cut & paste from the linked article:

“It should scare them; I do not care what they think. I only know what I know and that is I am capable of winning matches right now the way I am playing. I have a new stick. It’s totally different to what I’ve played with and there’s never been a stick like it. It’s reinvigorated me. I am playing well right now. I just need to keep my mind strong when I play. If I miss a shot, do not get down or play a bad safety. I know my nerves aren’t like what they once were, but I will be in as good shape as I can be and will be trying harder than ever.”

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl on his new cue. A cut & paste from the linked article:

“It should scare them; I do not care what they think. I only know what I know and that is I am capable of winning matches right now the way I am playing. I have a new stick. It’s totally different to what I’ve played with and there’s never been a stick like it. It’s reinvigorated me. I am playing well right now. I just need to keep my mind strong when I play. If I miss a shot, do not get down or play a bad safety. I know my nerves aren’t like what they once were, but I will be in as good shape as I can be and will be trying harder than ever.”
He is playing with a Mike Gulyassy cue and a Gulyassy solid maple 14mm shaft with a 14mm tip and a black phenolic ferrule. I think he is still using an Elkmaster tip. I will ask Mike when I talk to him again.

Mike is currently making another backup shaft for Earl and mine is in the process. I am having one made for my Gulyassy cue.

Edit: Mike says Earl is using a "special" Elkmaster tip. I am having him put one on my new shaft he is making.

Last edited:

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
14mm is the max tip size allowed in Pool tournaments. The shaft can be thicker like the way that the snooker shafts taper in the first 2 inches or so down to 10mm or smaller in diameter with a brass ferrule.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
14mm is the max tip size allowed in Pool tournaments. The shaft can be thicker like the way that the snooker shafts taper in the first 2 inches or so down to 10mm or smaller in diameter with a brass ferrule.
14mm shafts and tips ride smooth...like a luxury car.

I was playing with one last Sunday.

I took three cues to the pool hall: a C-14 McDermott with a 14mm shaft; a Murray Tucker butt with a Dennis Searing 12.4mm shaft; and a Becue carbon cue with a 12mm shaft.

The McDermott was the smoothest ride.