Mosconi Cup 2021 Day 1 Updates

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JJ wasn't the worst player there.....Kaci was.

We really would have been in a good place up 3 to 1. At 2-2...we are still underdogs.
Only 4 matches today instead of the usual 5? I’m guessing they were afraid they wouldn’t even make it until the last day if they held 15 of the 21 matches before the final day.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Is Earl out for the whole event? Is a repeat Covid Test available for him in case the first test is a false positive?
Earl didn't test positive, and in fact has tested negative three times. The short version is Earl is not vaccinated, and it turns out one of the passengers on the same flight to England as Earl ended up testing positive for covid. Because Earl was in known proximity to somebody with covid, combined with the fact that he is not vaccinated, current policy over there is that Earl has to quarantine for ten days.

Somebody mentioned that there is an exemption for elite athletes that would allow them to continue to practice and play their events, but either Matchroom didn't want to pursue it and just wanted to go ahead and essentially kick Earl out of the event and make him quarantine anyway, or this pool event wasn't on the approved list of sports/specific events for which the exclusion would apply (the regulations appear to say there is such a list although I didn't take the time to look it up to see if this event/sport was on it or not but it very well might not be since pool is a fairly fringe sport all things considered).

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JJ wasn't the worst player there.....Kaci was.

We really would have been in a good place up 3 to 1. At 2-2...we are still underdogs.

I agree with this. While JJ wasn't the worst today, I don't know if he has a gear to win a singles match unless the other guy is way off, as Kaci was today. In other words, I didn't see anything that inspired confidence from him, other than he didn't play the worst ..

TrxR

Anyone else find the crowd awfully disrespectful to the players, you would think they were at a soccer game.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I agree with this. While JJ wasn't the worst today, I don't know if he has a gear to win a singles match unless the other guy is way off, as Kaci was today. In other words, I didn't see anything that inspired confidence from him, other than he didn't play the worst ..
He is essentially retired from serious playing and I doubt he is hitting enough balls regularly to be anywhere close to in stroke. He had roughly 24 hours to start trying to hit some balls from the time he found out that he would be playing until he had to actually start playing with a whole team and country depending on him, and with that in mind it doesn't sound like he played bad at all considering. We will see how it goes but he may start to shoot better and better each day as well because when you haven't been playing much each additional day of being able to hit balls can make a noticeable difference.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He is essentially retired from serious playing and I doubt he is hitting enough balls regularly to be anywhere close to in stroke. He had roughly 24 hours to start trying to hit some balls from the time he found out that he would be playing until he had to actually start playing with a whole team and country depending on him, and with that in mind it doesn't sound like he played bad at all considering. We will see how it goes but he may start to shoot better and better each day as well because when you haven't been playing much each additional day of being able to hit balls can make a noticeable difference.
I agree with everything you wrote here...and I hope he has a great rest if the tourney...unfortunately I don't think the Euros much care if he is semi retired...here's hoping he finds some magic!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is Earl out for the whole event? Is a repeat Covid Test available for him in case the first test is a false positive?
I'd guess the official line would read: all options remain under consideration, with respect to evolving circumstances.

The queen has say ok, you know?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl didn't test positive, and in fact has tested negative three times. The short version is Earl is not vaccinated, and it turns out one of the passengers on the same flight to England as Earl ended up testing positive for covid. Because Earl was in known proximity to somebody with covid, combined with the fact that he is not vaccinated, current policy over there is that Earl has to quarantine for ten days.

Somebody mentioned that there is an exemption for elite athletes that would allow them to continue to practice and play their events, but either Matchroom didn't want to pursue it and just wanted to go ahead and essentially kick Earl out of the event and make him quarantine anyway, or this pool event wasn't on the approved list of sports/specific events for which the exclusion would apply (the regulations appear to say there is such a list although I didn't take the time to look it up to see if this event/sport was on it or not but it very well might not be since pool is a fairly fringe sport all things considered).
But Matchroom's consideration has to be mainly with its own reputation and is certainly doesn't want the government looking too closely into it.

I'd hope there is something like a ministry of sport or some other organization that can assist businesses with qualified advise. Given how rapidly the impositions evve though, who can really comment with long term certainty...?

Tuff times.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
This is standard, and expected, for the Mosconi Cup. In fact, I thought the crowd was rather well behaved compared to previous years...
Agreed.
I mentioned this earlier.
I usually want to punch those cheats in their drunken faces but this year they seem to be making the same noises regardless of who is at the table.
The boooooring at push out and the hooting and hollering when an extension is called is funny as heck imo.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Earl had been vaccinated, would he have been allowed to play in the Mosconi Cup?
Seems like it, which begs the question of how he could've been allowed on the team in the first place without proof of vaccination, since the rules were known well in advance. Not much forward thinking on the part of either JJ or Earl.