How do I find the spine on my pool cue shaft?

34YearsOfPlayin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was just reading about the red dot Meucci pool shafts and learned that there a part of the shaft called the spine. It has less deflection if it is turned to a specific side of the shaft (the spine). Does any of you know how to find the spine of a pool cue shaft? Thanks

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I have heard that all shafts will have a preferred way that they would bow when being compressed. Even spliced shafts and carbon fiber, although probably less than a natural wood shaft. I would think that density, grain and figure would all play a part in that.
I guess putting a shaft between centers and compressing it while turning it with a dial indicator might show you where the spine naturally is. Maybe repeating this procedure with many shafts you might be able to see repeated results in the direction that wood shafts prefer to bow due to the position of the grain?

woodyosborne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
smoke and mirrors. much ado about nothing imho but you might use this:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://billiards.colostate.edu/faq/cue/spine/ Dr.D is correct in that it really means nothing. The difference is so tiny you won't notice it. A simple non-scientific test would be to find the grain by eye first. Next align the shaft so grain is vertical then hit some shots. Next align the grain 90deg to the original setting and hit some shots. If really anal you could rotate the shaft so grain would be 45deg,etc. from original and hit some shots. Personally i'd rather have a root-canal with a dull knife.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the replies so far. I have heard that the red dots don't hit well anyways.
The red-dots are nothing more than originals with a grain reminder. The black-dots are flat-laminated with a reminder. Dave talks about that shaft in that link. I had one and thought it was the deadest feeling shaft ever. Some like them. Go figure.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Was just reading about the red dot Meucci pool shafts and learned that there a part of the shaft called the spine. It has less deflection if it is turned to a specific side of the shaft (the spine). Does any of you know how to find the spine of a pool cue shaft? Thanks
A shaft's grain is like the edges of a sheet of plywood - it bends easier across the grain than with it. The spine is where the layers of grain are mostly perpendicular to the shaft's surface - where the grain lines are closest together and straightest. For instance, with the shaft turned so the spine is straight up it will bend (very slightly) more horizontally than vertically - but not enough different to be noticeable.

pj
chgo

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

DryFlyTrout

The red-dots are nothing more than originals with a grain reminder. The black-dots are flat-laminated with a reminder. Dave talks about that shaft in that link. I had one and thought it was the deadest feeling shaft ever. Some like them. Go figure.
I went from a Viper cue with a Kamui tip I paid $40 used to a Meucci with a black dot. I've forced myself to suffer with the Meucci since Summer. I still don't like it. I cant explain why. I should trade it or something.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I went from a Viper cue with a Kamui tip I paid $40 used to a Meucci with a black dot. I've forced myself to suffer with the Meucci since Summer. I still don't like it. I cant explain why. I should trade it or something.
My first cue was a Meucci. That was a few decades ago, but I recall it seemed pretty whippy compared with the Schon I got next - and way whippy compared with the conical tapered shaft I use now. I doubt it has any important effect on shaft performance, but I prefer a stiffer hit.

pj
chgo

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think they finally gave up on the BD. To me it played ok just felt dead, lifeless. The MeucciPro wood shaft is a whole different deal. One fine playing shaft.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In custom fishing rods it is known as the spline and very important to have it on the top or bottom of the blank. According to how the rod will be used while fishing and potentially fighting a fish..
There is a device called a spline finder which works very well it can also be done by hand on medium to lightweight rods..

I would agree there is likely one with shafts as well, especially carbon fiber.. How much it affects a pool cue is another subject since it loads differently than a fishing rod.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In custom fishing rods it is known as the spline and very important to have it on the top or bottom of the blank. According to how the rod will be used while fishing and potentially fighting a fish..
There is a device called a spline finder which works very well it can also be done by hand on medium to lightweight rods..

I would agree there is likely one with shafts as well, especially carbon fiber.. How much it affects a pool cue is another subject since it loads differently than a fishing rod.
The ball is on the tip for such a TINY length of time that spine/grain has really no effect. End-mass is different.