Johnny Archer's New Room

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It does sometimes but mostly it’s paid for music far as I know. It’s not random

I’ll ask, so I’m 100% on this. I’m 90% right now
It’s paid for music the customers choose. If there’s a gap in play. They throw a $5 or $10 in it to keep the vibe going.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes I did as well, I was 22. Just before I turned 26 I moved to Vegas and never looked back. No jobs for me. Not my bag. But for some it’s the best-captain of their ship-I respect that.

Best
Fatboy😀
I've owned my share of small businesses and always made a decent living running them.

My take on such things. 1- It's nice to be your own boss. 2- When you own a business it owns you too. If you don't pay attention to what's going on EVERY day you will fail. You will put in the hours and there is no 40 hour work week for the boss! 3- If you own a business where you enjoy being there, you are successful!

The bottom line for me is that I never got rich owning a poolroom, but I made a better living then I would have working at a regular job, like an accountant which is what I was trained for. Or a poolplayer for that matter. Many good poolplayers did very well for themselves by opening their own poolroom or sports bar!

All I can say is good luck to Johnny and Rodney! I hope they hit a home run there. Both are great guys and a credit to our sport. ALL of us have skeletons in our closet that we would prefer to leave there. And all of us have been assholes at one time or another. That's a fact Jack!

Reactions: JAM

middleofnowhere

Registered
I've owned my share of small businesses and always made a decent living running them.

My take on such things. 1- It's nice to be your own boss. 2- When you own a business it owns you too. If you don't pay attention to what's going on EVERY day you will fail. You will put in the hours and there is no 40 hour work week for the boss! 3- If you own a business where you enjoy being there, you are successful!

The bottom line for me is that I never got rich owning a poolroom, but I made a better living then I would have working at a regular job, like an accountant which is what I was trained for. Or a poolplayer for that matter. Many good poolplayers did very well for themselves by opening their own poolroom or sports bar!

All I can say is good luck to Johnny and Rodney! I hope they hit a home run there. Both are great guys and a credit to our sport. ALL of us have skeletons in our closet that we would prefer to leave there. And all of us have been assholes at one time or another. That's a fact Jack!
You're pretty obviously a savvy guy, what's your opinion of partners? I'm not talking taking in an investor, I'm talking a 50%, equal decision making partner.

My father who was an old man and already retired when I was born always told me never go into business with a partner, one partner is one too many.

There are a lot of problems with partnerships beyond just having conflicts. For example one partner could become seriously ill or die and now you're dealing with his estate and family members.

Another bad issue is one of the partners could develop legal problems such as divorce, possibly even lawsuits that all of a sudden you're a part of. There's enough problems with unforeseen events in your own life without being linked to somebody else's.

Usually partnerships develop just because one doesn't have the money or the balls to do this on his own so he brings somebody in. Whatever the reason there's a lot of downsides that I would rather not have to deal with.
You know, marriage is a partnership and how do 50% of those do?

Last edited:

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The customers choose the music

They are the spenders, their choice.

But there is no "they," no "the customers." For a given 4 minutes, ONE random patron chooses ambiance for the whole place, even choosing the role of the music: soothing rhythmic background, call to get up and dance, or in-your-ears anger.

Suppose a vending company designed an ODOR BOX. For a couple bucks, a single patron could switch the odor in the whole place to Cinnabon or Old Stogie or Men's Cologne or Sweet Pipe Tobacco or Burning Rubber or Old Lady Perfume or Fruity Incense. With another APP, individual patrons could control the Temperature --a dollar a degree-minute. And what about individual patrons controlling the light level? For a few bucks, a patron can crank up the overhead cleaning lights or tone down to hard-to-see near darkness or activate the strobe.

These are all sensory things that you can't change for each patron or group of patrons individually but are choices for the whole place. I doubt they will get a lot of resonance. At the same time, we are so accustomed to the patron-picks-a-song model that we find ways to justify it.

Another problem with generally allowing a current mix of customers to control the ambiance (i.e., we're 60% group A on Friday nights so getting 60% Group A music makes sense) is you are letting today's passengers steer the ship. The choices you make today impact the mix of patrons you have next month and next year. When you make those decisions you should be thinking about today, next month, next year, and five years from now.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How you gonna host a big table tournament with three 9 footers?

Barboxes are toys. They don't test players and they don't make players.

How you gonna host a big table tournament with three 9 footers?

Barboxes are toys. They don't test players and they don't make players.
Say's someone who has access to big tables. For some that is all there is. Many good players have started on boxes and moved up.
I agree the gap for lesser players to compete is closed on a smaller table. However since more can compete the prize money is much larger.
The table size does not "make" a player, hard work does.
I never in my life have seen the kind of Calcutta money and participation that is happening on bar tables.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But there is no "they," no "the customers." For a given 4 minutes, ONE random patron chooses ambiance for the whole place, even choosing the role of the music: soothing rhythmic background, call to get up and dance, or in-your-ears anger.

Suppose a vending company designed an ODOR BOX. For a couple bucks, a single patron could switch the odor in the whole place to Cinnabon or Old Stogie or Men's Cologne or Sweet Pipe Tobacco or Burning Rubber or Old Lady Perfume or Fruity Incense. With another APP, individual patrons could control the Temperature --a dollar a degree-minute. And what about individual patrons controlling the light level? For a few bucks, a patron can crank up the overhead cleaning lights or tone down to hard-to-see near darkness or activate the strobe.

These are all sensory things that you can't change for each patron or group of patrons individually but are choices for the whole place. I doubt they will get a lot of resonance. At the same time, we are so accustomed to the patron-picks-a-song model that we find ways to justify it.

Another problem with generally allowing a current mix of customers to control the ambiance (i.e., we're 60% group A on Friday nights so getting 60% Group A music makes sense) is you are letting today's passengers steer the ship. The choices you make today impact the mix of patrons you have next month and next year. When you make those decisions you should be thinking about today, next month, next year, and five years from now.
I don’t think the music is that important.

Let’s not over think this.

The biz is working for its intended purpose, it’s profitable.

Next,

Best
Fatboy

Ps: want to get rich? Don’t sweat the small stuff and get sucked into micromanaging the details. Stick to the big picture, let the small stuff go. Easier said than done, but the only way ti expand any biz. Trust the the process and carry on. Then true growth happens. But hey what do I know?

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Say's someone who has access to big tables. For some that is all there is. Many good players have started on boxes and moved up.
I agree the gap for lesser players to compete is closed on a smaller table. However since more can compete the prize money is much larger.
The table size does not "make" a player, hard work does.
I never in my life have seen the kind of Calcutta money and participation that is happening on bar tables.
Just cuz all the kids are doing it, don't make it better.

Barbox pool is not difficult enough to learn the game properly. Difference between golf and mini golf.

Glad there is big money out there. No doubt they will block the better players who play big table pool, from robbing the tourneys.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Other than hard core pool shooters that will want to go there no mater what, if the idea is to cater to men, it's a little short sighted. If you really want the men to show up, do what ever it takes to draw and appeal to women. If women are there, men will follow. I've never seen overly skimpy outfits be good for business in the long run. Give me a waitress with a good personality, and attentiveness and I'm a happy camper. One only has to watch Bar Rescue, and while a lot is scripted, bars with outfits that cater to a a women's breast is a loosing proposition.
Not sure Hooters would agree here...

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
its business not a place to have constitutional freedoms in a private business.

yes if you dont like the f bomb in the music dont go there. and many wont. and if you dont like seeing boobs hanging in the waitress uniform dont go there and many wont.

the question is do you gain or lose more by having those things.

he is new and newness usually gets extra business. but newness wears off and then it can become too late to correct things that chased away customers that wont return.
I was behind you til you started knocking boobage.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just cuz all the kids are doing it, don't make it better.

Barbox pool is not difficult enough to learn the game properly. Difference between golf and mini golf.

Glad there is big money out there. No doubt they will block the better players who play big table pool, from robbing the tourneys.
Don't condecend on me...

Anyway calling people kids and degrading bar table players is the internet tough guy move.

Guess what cup cake? The world was not made for you.

😂

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I've been known to appreciate the beauty of woman's form but it's weird when a restaurant makes it a theme. For one thing, it feels strange if I invite a woman there and it also kind of suggests that whatever else they offer isn't enough.
Agreed...but I'm thinking that both you & I have made more than a few decades of trips around the sun...;)

(edit) Meaning, you & I may not be the demographic Johnny and Rodney are aiming for.

Last edited:

xX-Wizard-Xx

I hate 7 foot tables... And yes I'm fkn whining !!!!!
Where I live we have two pool halls to choose from each have 1 9ft table and many many bar tables. A couple guys line up at the table to get dibs on that 1 table.... Rediculous .. bring back 9ft tables please

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't condecend on me...

Anyway calling people kids and degrading bar table players is the internet tough guy move.

Guess what cup cake? The world was not made for you.

😂
You condecend yourself.

Come to Super Billiards.
I give you the 7 out and the breaks blind for $500 a set. I'm very easy to find.

You would wilt.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t think the music is that important.

Let’s not over think this.

The biz is working for its intended purpose, it’s profitable.

Next,

Best
Fatboy

Ps: want to get rich? Don’t sweat the small stuff and get sucked into micromanaging the details. Stick to the big picture, let the small stuff go. Easier said than done, but the only way ti expand any biz. Trust the the process and carry on. Then true growth happens. But hey what do I know?
Used to play in this joint that had a digital juke. When it was installed they gave the owner a remote so he could axe music at will. If someone played death-metal or gangsta rap he would shitcan it and give them their $ back. People got the clue pretty quick what to/not to play. A couple got pissy but most everybody loved it.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Qx
I am in Maryland. P.M me if you are this way.
Born in Leonardtown.

There's a world of difference between a 7 foot Valley and this. A world of difference in the skills they can teach. If you don't know, then you don't know what you don't know.

This is my new baby, so I'll be in stroke come SBE.

Attachments

• 20211211_140058.jpg
    20211211_140058.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 61

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Qx

Born in Leonardtown.

There's a world of difference between a 7 foot Valley and this. A world of difference in the skills they can teach. If you don't know, then you don't know what you don't know.

This is my new baby, so I'll be in stroke come SBE.
Congrats. You have a fine table and room.

I must not know...

Are you saying you play in the Pro tournament at the Expo (big table?)

I might need more weight.? 😂

Good luck at the Expo.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats. You have a fine table and room.

I must not know...

Are you saying you play in the Pro tournament at the Expo (big table?)

I might need more weight.? 😂

Good luck at the Expo.
Pool , like poker and other things is infinite.
There's a world of things to learn.
Not gonna be learning them on league night on barboxes.
Playing all the games on tough equipment, for something will get you there. Make friends with a few guys who play well on big tables, and pay your dues.

Last edited:

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool , like poker and other things is infinite.
There's a world of things to learn.
Not gonna be leaving them on league night on barboxes.
Playing all the games on tough equipment, for something will get you there.
I understand.

Are you playing in the Pro Super Billiard tournament?

The amateur event is on small tables.

Last edited: